GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend in the battery business who told me that Mercedes has just recently started using dual purpose marine batteries in their cars to support the electronics. They are "deep cycling" batteries and seem to be able to handle the load of all the electronic stuff on todays new cars. Maybe that is what is needed in my Acadia as well as others. Any comments or thoughts out there from the experts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
vic49 said:
I have a friend in the battery business who told me that Mercedes has just recently started using dual purpose marine batteries in their cars to support the electronics. They are "deep cycling" batteries and seem to be able to handle the load of all the electronic stuff on todays new cars. Maybe that is what is needed in my Acadia as well as others. Any comments or thoughts out there from the experts?
If you go to Optima's website (best **** batteries, period) they will acutally list their deepcycle batteries (yellowtops) as well as the regular starting batteries (redtops) for most vehicles. Their marine batteries are bluetops, and they don't specify them for cars. However, there are many cars these days that seem to almost need the deepcycle ones for the amount of electronics in a car these days. I'm considering a Group 78 Redtop for my Acadia at the moment, but with all I'm hearing about the electronics in it, I might go yellowtop, instead. However, that's tempered by the fact that I think I might need the Redtop in the cold climae we get which puts a harder load on the battery for starting,and I want the best CCA I can get.

www.optimabatteries.com

Give it a couple years. I hear automakers want to go to a 24V system instead, since the electronics is practically outstripping the power output of regular 12V systems. That will really bake our noodles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
As far as Optimas being the best, i'll say they use to be. I had 2 red tops in my drag car for 8 years with no problems. I replaced them and had to replace them both again within a couple years. Same goes for my truck. The red top in my truck lasted less than 2 years. I've talked to 2 different sellers for the optimas and they say the same thing, not as good as they use to be. A lot of them are coming back with less than 2 years on them. I'm still using them in my 67 Mustang and in my car trailer, but neither gets a lot of use. Even with the problems, i still like them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
FWIW, this is one of the reasons why car manufacturers are looking into 48V (or even higher voltage) systems. Current 12V systems simply have a hard time supplying all the power needed for modern automotive electronics. And if manufacturers seriously go into electromechanical systems (electric motors driving pumps/gears instead of drivebelts off the engine), then it will get only worse.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I started this thread BTW. I have a friend in the battery business that suggested this marine battery to me. Problem is, it won't fit in the small compartment that the Acadia has. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
been using optima yellow top for my wife Lexus after the stock battery gave up in after 2yrs., never had any problem with them, might recommend it to these having these dreaded battery drain issues.... ill agree with JohnFitz maybe the Acadia just needs a much stronger battery! IMO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
I heard that one reason for the higher voltage architecture for the future was that it allowed the manufacturers to use smaller wires to carry higher voltage to run all the new types of electronic equipment. The advantage of smaller wires is that it is easier to design and route the wiring harness. The old 12V would require larger and larger wire to carry more electricity to run more equipment. Also higher voltage equipment will run cooler and use less electricity to do the same work. It does make sense as more and more equipment is run electrically versus mechanically (brakes, power steering, hvac systems, etc.)

I also had a question about deep cycle (marine type) batteries. While they typically take longer to discharge (and keep you from having a dead battery) don't they also take longer to reach a full charge? Might this be a problem for those who use their vehicles for shorter trips? Discharging from the start up may not be adquately recharged on short trips. ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
Typically a marine battery may sit for a long period of time, but also when it is in use it runs (recharges) for a long time too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
tm59 said:
I heard that one reason for the higher voltage architecture for the future was that it allowed the manufacturers to use smaller wires to carry higher voltage to run all the new types of electronic equipment. The advantage of smaller wires is that it is easier to design and route the wiring harness. The old 12V would require larger and larger wire to carry more electricity to run more equipment. Also higher voltage equipment will run cooler and use less electricity to do the same work. It does make sense as more and more equipment is run electrically versus mechanically (brakes, power steering, hvac systems, etc.)

excellent points. it all gets down to the ability to deliver power at lower voltages, which requires more current and more wire. higher voltage, less current, smaller wires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
vic49 said:
I started this thread BTW. I have a friend in the battery business that suggested this marine battery to me. Problem is, it won't fit in the small compartment that the Acadia has. :(
Since I haven't yet gone digging, would you mind giving the specs for the factory battery? Like Group, size, CA, CCA, etc? I'm curious to know what GM thought was adequate.

Optima has to make something that fits. If I knew what would fit I would tell you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Having read thru all of the previous, I'm still wondering why a marine deep cycle would be a prefered battery for an automobile - given the option of several good quality "starting" batteries. From having owned a boat for several years, I loved my deep cycle battery because:

1) It could sit unused for long periods of time without draining to a "non-start" level, and
2) It would run my radio & bilge pumps, etc. while on the anchor 25 miles off shore without running down & leaving me stranded.

Wouldn't a deep-cycle battery be better suited for long periods of current draw (no engine running) such as extended tailgate parties & movie watching? Somehow I envision the alternator adequately supplying the needs of the vehicle electronics while driving, and a decent battery meeting most needs for non-driving time?

I would think that a good quality starting battery would be the more desired option... I'm open to learning more if I'm missing something more subtle.

Smooth <><
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
Smooth said:
Having read thru all of the previous, I'm still wondering why a marine deep cycle would be a prefered battery for an automobile - given the option of several good quality "starting" batteries. From having owned a boat for several years, I loved my deep cycle battery because:

1) It could sit unused for long periods of time without draining to a "non-start" level, and
2) It would run my radio & bilge pumps, etc. while on the anchor 25 miles off shore without running down & leaving me stranded.

Wouldn't a deep-cycle battery be better suited for long periods of current draw (no engine running) such as extended tailgate parties & movie watching? Somehow I envision the alternator adequately supplying the needs of the vehicle electronics while driving, and a decent battery meeting most needs for non-driving time?

I would think that a good quality starting battery would be the more desired option... I'm open to learning more if I'm missing something more subtle.

Smooth <><
Optima claims it's bluetops (marine) have the qualities of both the deepcycle yellowtops and the starting prowess of the redtops. So why they don't recommend the bluetops for more modern cars is beyond me.

I have a redtop in another car, and the battery is so good, the motor turns over like once and fires. I just have to tap it into start witth the key, even after a whole week of not starting the car. I'd probably go Redtop in this acadia, as I won't be doing much tailgating.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Hi,
I have been reading many acticles on this forum for the past few months while waiting for my Acadia to arrive. This has been a very informative site! This is my first post, and I apologize if I am not following proper etiquette by tagging along on this stream, but the topic is the same. Please correct me if I should have started a new post, particularly since this rambles on a bit.

I was called last Wednesday by my dealer who informed me my Acadia has arrived. I may not take delivery for a week or two given that my current lease is not up yet, but I decided to go over to check it out this weekend. After getting the keys I found my Acadian on the lot and jumped in. The battery did not have enough power to turn the engine over, although many lower-power accessories would operate. Having read here about others' experiences with dead batteries, I am a little concerned.

I am not sure how good a charge the battery would have ever gotten since the car was just built, and then transported, etc. so maybe there is nothing to worry about. It would have been driven to the spot it is in, however, and only sat on the lot for 3-4 days before I arrived.

I live in Ottawa, ON, Canada, and there were a few pretty cold days during which the Acadian was on the lot, but I regularly leave my cars at the airport here for several days, and occasionally up to a week or two in the coldest weather and have never had any issue starting when I return.

My questions are:

- Is there any way to get an idea of how many Acadias have exhibited this problem, perhaps as a percentage of total ownership?
- Are there particular options or accessories that are the common causes (it seems like the heated windshield washers and rear parking assist have been culprits for some)?

Thank you for your help,
Brian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Baj,
If you read the various topics one poll says over 30% of readers cite battery problem. Your problems are just starting the moment you sign the papers, so get one of those portable jumper batteries and be prepared. I expect after this winter with a few thousand free tows, GM will do something about it.
As someone said earlier in this forum, the electrial & computer system seems to be too complex and demanding for this size battery. Corvette owners have had a problem for years called DBS (dead battery syndrome) that I never have heard a competant resolution on.
For a real shock, look under the back of the vehicle on the spare tire! Especially if you have 19" tires, you will be leaning going down the road on this tiny spare if you ever have to use it:eek:hno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
jrc50 said:
Baj,
If you read the various topics one poll says over 30% of readers cite battery problem. Your problems are just starting the moment you sign the papers, so get one of those portable jumper batteries and be prepared.


That is exactly what I did the morning my Acadia would not start. I should have bugged GM for the tow, but I wanted to get going without a long waiting period, so I had a friend come over and jump it. Then the next trip was to Sears to get a portable jumper battery. After two days in the shop, the GM dealer could not find anything wrong and stated that I " must have left the key in the ignition" or "left accessories plugged in", neither of which happened. They lastly said they had no problems with 2008 models, but I am just waiting until the next time because as it has let me down once, with the number of people experiencing the problem with a dead battery, I am sure it will just be a matter of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
maybe GM should start offering the Portable Battery Jumper as an option for 08 if they still cant solve the problem.... or make it a standard equiptment!!!! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I am still carrying around the portable jumper starter in the Acadia, but so far it has not failed to start again since the last episode. I am afraid to remove the jumper, or perhaps even just writing that it has not failed will tempt the fates in the wrong direction! :) I have a friend who just took delivery of his last week and so far he has kept it in a garage not driving it while he gets some things ordered for it ..i.e. chrome wheels, invisible mask, etc. --- I am anxious to see if his will go dead while sitting for several more days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
My Acadia set for the entire month in November and half of December and it did not seem to have a problem - it is a SLE - this thread would be more informative if possibly more information could be given as to who has had problems and what options they have installed. Something like this would help

Build Date
Package Level
Any aftermarket accessories requiring power?
Factory Options like Nav (which by the way for some reason continues to update its position when the vehicle is off)


Has anyone unhooked the battery and done a draw test to see what level the battery is dischargin at?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
812 Posts
SLESierra said:
My Acadia set for the entire month in November and half of December and it did not seem to have a problem - it is a SLE - this thread would be more informative if possibly more information could be given as to who has had problems and what options they have installed. Something like this would help

Build Date
Package Level
Any aftermarket accessories requiring power?
Factory Options like Nav (which by the way for some reason continues to update its position when the vehicle is off)


Has anyone unhooked the battery and done a draw test to see what level the battery is dischargin at?
the best way is for every member to attached this info to their signature.... :thumb:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top