GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted in another thread that I would be test-driving a 07 XC90 on Saturday. Since it was a minor hijacking of Meredith’s thread I thought I would start over here.

My thought was that given the rather gracious incentives by Volvo on the remaining 07 stock it would certainly be worth my time and effort to check it out. As I posted earlier I currently drive a 2004 XC70 that has be a pure pleasure to drive and trouble free. So the wife and I set out on Saturday to see if we could justify a purchase. It turned out that on the way to the dealer, where I had purchased my XC70 (36 mi drive), I happened to pass by another GMC store. I made a mental note where it was located.

As I already knew and expected, the XC90 is a very high end, high dollar vehicle, as are all Volvos. It is built solid as a rock and the materials and build quality are exceptional. The paint finish is luxurious with very little orange peel. It truly is in another league compared to the Acadia and outlook. Just the feel of the materials is enough to make you want to sign on the dotted line. An interesting note was the absence of the typical strong chemical odor like that of the Acadia and most other new cars. Volvo specifically uses non-allergen type materials. And, luckily for me they even had 3 left that didn’t include the convenience pack. That package includes the 3rd row seats, rear ac, rear audio controls, 2nd row child booster seat and auto load leveling rear shocks. Those are items I don’t need and it saves an additional $2500.00 off the MSRP. So, in terms of pricing the vehicle lists out at $45,075.00 and my bottom line price is $38,636.00. They also offered $18,750.00 for my XC70, which is not bad at all.

The test drive was the shocker. I was expecting to find a much-improved ride over my already great XC70 considering the final coast was almost $8,000.00 higher. It just wasn’t there. The ride was very good but my memory was telling me the Acadia felt better. The 90 does have plenty of pickup and the 6 speed trans is tight and very responsive at all speeds. What shocked me was the noise level of the engine during even mild acceleration compared to almost anything but especially the Acadia. Not only was it very noisy in an otherwise very quiet cabin but also sounded like a go-cart or something. The bottom line is that after spending several hours at the dealer looking, feeling, testing and working up my trade offer I decided to just hold back a while. Honestly friends, I went there with a high expectation of driving home in a new XC90. I even went through a lot of effort to detail my XC70, expecting to part ways with it.
I left that dealer feeling kind of down and out because I’m getting tired of trying to find the rite SUV/CUV to fit my needs and I thought the XC90 was the magic bullet. It’s not off my list completely but the whole experience was a let down. Oh well!

I asked my wife if she would mind stopping by that GMC dealer we passed just to see if my mind was playing tricks on me. We did, and it wasn’t. The Acadia unquestionably has a superior ride comfort and handles equal to if not better than the $45K to $58K XC90. And I was driving a base level SLE with cloth seats (which I kind of liked). No doubt, the materials, safety features and build quality of the Acadia can’t remotely compare to the 90 but the ride is superb, engine noise is not out of the norm, the overall cabin volume is amazing, it handles like a dream, is very functional for a broader portion of the market and it cost a hell of a lot less than the XC90. I did immediately notice the reduced power and transmission lag as it again hunted for the rite gear.

Here is the catch. I had this dealer work up a build price for my needs and he came back with charging $500.00 above invoice and said the $500.00 conquest would bring it back to invoice. In my case this meant $32,966 before tax with the MSRP being at $35,095.
It seemed very fair to me but the dealership itself seemed pretty sleazy, including the sales guy, and it was 30 miles from my house. I told him I would let him know in a couple of days and drove off.

Now I’m really curious and I looked at my wife and she immediately said “I know, we’re on our way to our local dealer to see they will offer”. She said neither us would be able to sleep that night if we didn’t do it. So off we went.

Bummer!

My dealer, who is the 14th largest in the country wouldn’t budge from invoice other than the conquest cash. He did make a mistake and said the conquest cash would be $1,000 instead of $500 because he was somehow thinking of the 2007 model even though he did the build up on a 2008. His boss said he would honor the $1,000 but wasn’t thrilled about it. They then proceeded to insult me by offering $17,000 for my trade-in. Saturn had already offered $18,000 against the Outlook and as I already said Volvo offered $18,750

He said there are a lot of dealers (not all) who promise these invoice prices then magically find the vehicle accidentally gets sold to another customer or for some reason takes 20 weeks to deliver or shows up miss-configured or damaged. Basically he was saying that some of them will do or say anything to get your upfront cash and then make you fight to get it back. He claimed that his dealership requested an allocation of 115 vehicles for next month and GM gave them 15. Even as large as they are they just can’t get stock. He said there is no incentive to sell under MSRP and he can’t understand why any dealership would be claiming to do so, especially with GM offering other incentives like supplier pricing, etc. There is usually a catch somewhere, according to him. He said they could blow Envoys out at $4k off list but not the Acadia or Enclave.

The other point he made is that I should expect to see a custom order take from 10 to 12 weeks or even longer until they get that 3rd shift up and begin to catch up with demand. Its possible to still end up at 6 to 8 weeks based on a lot of variables but they won’t state that with any confidence rite now.

Bottom line # 2: Told him I would call them back. So, I actually have made an attempt to buy an Acadia and the market conditions are just working against me.

I’m at my wits end here folks. Time to have a look at the CX-9 that many of you have been mentioning. At least there are still some end-of-year incentives going on over there.

Sorry again for the long post.

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
Tom H said:
And, luckily for me they even had 3 left that didn’t include the convenience pack. That package includes the 3rd row seats, rear ac, rear audio controls, 2nd row child booster seat and auto load leveling rear shocks. Those are items I don’t need and it saves an additional $2500.00 off the MSRP.

Here is the catch. I had this dealer work up a build price for my needs and he came back with charging $500.00 above invoice and said the $500.00 conquest would bring it back to invoice. In my case this meant $32,966 before tax with the MSRP being at $35,095.
It seemed very fair to me but the dealership itself seemed pretty sleazy, including the sales guy, and it was 30 miles from my house. I told him I would let him know in a couple of days and drove off.

Bottom line # 2: Told him I would call them back. So, I actually have made an attempt to buy an Acadia and the market conditions are just working against me.
Not to be mean, but why are you looking at the Acadia and even the CX-9? You state that you don't need a 3rd row. You could look at an X3,FX35/45, ML 350, rx 330, etc. if you wantedluxury SUV/CUV.

As for market conditions working against you, it seems like you are working against yourself. Who cares if the dealer and sales guy are sleazy, if they give you a good deal and stick to it what does it matter.

Good luck on your search. I looked at the XC90 before mypurchaseand was underwhelmed. Had an S60 befor esoIknew what to expect.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I think your local dealer is putting you on regarding pricing. Just because he's 14th largest means nothing as to how he got there. I recently had no problem finding several dealers who would price +/- a few hundred from invoice, and finally settled on one at invoice. Conquest was in addition to that. I agree with Joe on most of his points including being underwhelmed when looking at Volvos products in the price/value equation.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can speak to both vehicles as I own both. We have a 04 XC90, love it, the best vehicle to date I have ever owned (still own it). When it was time to replace my Subaru I looked at both the XC90 with OSD and the Acadia as I have a GMC dealer one mile from my house. Hands down the Acadia drives much nicer but the XC90's fit and finish are much better then the Acadia. What it came down to was how much could I get for the $$$ and how fast I could get it since I wanted immediate satisfaction. With OSD I could have gotten the XC90 I wanted loaded for about what I paid for the Acadia but I would have to wait 12-16 weeks to get it after I picked it up in Sweden. My GMC dealer found me the Acadia I wanted loaded @ $350 over invoice and I could pick it up the next day. SOLD!!! So far I love the Acadia and do not regret my choice to not wait for the XC90.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Why not buy an Acadia from the dealer that was working with you on price? I realize that it is farther away, but it seems worth it for the better cost. You can have your Acadia serviced at a more convenient dealer if you choose to do so.

By the way, we have an XC90 that we really like....and an Acadia on order.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GerryL said:
I think your local dealer is putting you on regarding pricing. Just because he's 14th largest means nothing as to how he got there. I recently had no problem finding several dealers who would price +/- a few hundred from invoice, and finally settled on one at invoice. Conquest was in addition to that. I agree with Joe on most of his points including being underwhelmed when looking at Volvos products in the price/value equation.
The local dealer is 14th based on volume and one of the top ranked based on overall satisfaction. They are actually well respected in this area. They generally deal aggressively when inventory levels are leveled out but they are sticking to MSRP on the 2008 Acadia and Enclave for now. I can't blame them because they are able to sell them all at that price. He's not saying he can't price it lower, he's just saying he won't.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sharonk said:
Why not buy an Acadia from the dealer that was working with you on price? I realize that it is farther away, but it seems worth it for the better cost. You can have your Acadia serviced at a more convenient dealer if you choose to do so.

By the way, we have an XC90 that we really like....and an Acadia on order.
I will probably go back to this guy. What took me by surprise was that I asked him to give me a build estimate on my preferred 2008 and he came back with the invoice (after conquest). There was no negotiation involved. That was his price from the start. I did tell him that I intend to buy within 1 to 2 weeks. What kind of got me thinking was that we looked at a few 2008 on the lot that were close to what I want and he made no offer what so ever to sell at invoice and no attempt to get me into anything while I was there. He didn't offer to assess my trade or make any of the usual "tell me what I need to do to win your business today" type comments. It seemed he was more interested in ordering one than selling what he had. I can see some logic to that process. Minimum overhead, in the door, out the door deal. Then get as much as you can for what is on the lot. It was just a strange experience. He said their policy is to beat any other written deal, period. I'm going to do a little search on their store and try to see if they are legit. I think also that with this kind of deal I need to sell my car myself and come up with my own financing as that is where they want to get back some of the difference between invoice and MSRP. Of coarse I will put that challenge out to him before placing the order.

·
Registered
389 Posts
We have decided to sell our potential trade ourselves and are paying cash - so that takes a lot of the variables out of the deal. Plus, they really do stand to make more money in the end for a car that never sat on their lot. So many industries work in a "just in time" framework - it eliminates the costs of carryover and inventory - so I think it is fantastic if the car makers can do that. When they have had duds (ie: Buick's Aztec!) that sit on lots forever, they lose all kinds of money, right? Go to more of an order procedure like is happening here, then I think it is a win win for everyone.

What other $30,000+ purchases can you buy brand new right off the showroom floor? When I want to build a brand new home, I go and look at a model or choose a custom builder and decide which options I want/don't want and then I wait 6+ months for the finished product.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mama2G - Have you worked out pricing with your dealer yet? Many say they are getting invoice on their 2008 Acadias. I'm curious where you will end up. I know they sort of owe you one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tom, no dealer here is offering anything near invoice. MSRP - Conquest Cash is all you'll get... and they are selling them off their order sheets at that price... So as you said, can't really blame them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keith said:
Wow, glad I git wine when I did then. Got it for $11 over invoice before deducting bonus cash and conquest
Keith, was that on an 07 or 08 model? I could have done better if I had gone for an in stock 2007 but I wasn't ready and didn't want any of the configurations they had at the time.

bblanch, glad to know I'm not alone. I can't imagine what would motivate any dealer to sell at invoice today on this vehicle. They normally drop prices to push slow moving or overstocked products. They will also drop the price to meet overall volume incentives put on them by GM. The incentives are hugh but only count on delivered vehicles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Always buy at the end of the month, they are usually more willing to deal. Also, dealerships usually have sales person of the month and other contests and you might be dealing with a sales person who is close to winning and wants to close the deal.

·
Registered
389 Posts
What does it matter if you order though? The sale doesn't count until it hits the ground and is actually sold, am I wrong? All anyone has is maybe a small deposit - nothing close to purchase price and there is often room to work on price at time of delivery. And if they cannot accurately predict a delivery time then you cannot count on it being an end of the month sale. I am still of the opinion that the ordering is good for the buyer - you get exactly what without making concessions for color or options and it is good for the dealer - they make more money on a truck that hasn't sat on the lot and gets sold "right off the truck" so to speak. So, they should be able to wiggle on the price as well.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Got mine for about $150 under invoice, plus Conquest Cash...$1000, plus free weather mats and roof rails...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cravenfan said:
Got mine for about $150 under invoice, plus Conquest Cash...$1000, plus free weather mats and roof rails...
It's setteled then. I'm moving to Maine!

I envy you but you guys are giving me negotiating points to use when I return to the dealer. My local dealer is out of the picture, although they have a fantastic service center so they will still make alot of money on me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got my '08 for 500 under invoice and then 500 for conquest cash = 1000 under invoice. Work them and you'll get it.

FunkD

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FunkD said:
I got my '08 for 500 under invoice and then 500 for conquest cash = 1000 under invoice. Work them and you'll get it.

FunkD
Holy crap! That is a good price. Did you trade anything in?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts