GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
You wouldn't get too far. The car shuts itself off after ~10 minutes once the fob leaves the car's proximity. If you locked the car at home, how would you get into it without the fob in your pocket?
The 10 minute reference is to the remote start being activated, not starting the car then driving off while leaving the key elsewhere.

You can drive anywhere after starting it with the fob, and it will issue a warning before shutting the engine off to warn you that restart may not be possible.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The 10 minute reference is to the remote start being activated, not starting the car then driving off while leaving the key elsewhere.

You can drive anywhere after starting it with the fob, and it will issue a warning before shutting the engine off to warn you that restart may not be possible.
Yes, I agree. My wife drove all the way across town to our daughter's. About 20 minutes or more depending on traffic and stops. It ran all the way there and then I had to drive over and drop off a set of keys.
I had started the car to check something and left the keys in my pocket when she drove off. All she got was the warning message in the DIC. Apparently an owner can drive with no fob present till the engine is shut off. I have not found anything in my 2019 owners manual stating how long the engine will run after starting and driving off with no fob present.

·
Super Moderator
18,629 Posts
Someone mentioned in another thread that their vehicle shut off in ~10 minutes when they went into their house with the fob on their person. "Extended parking" sections in the owner's manuals state that time is ~1 hour in 2017 and ~30 minutes (half hour) for 2019. Guess you get whatever the computer wants to give you if you're dumb enough to drive off without the fob. LOL

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, I agree. My wife drove all the way across town to our daughter's. About 20 minutes or more depending on traffic and stops. It ran all the way there and then I had to drive over and drop off a set of keys.
I had started the car to check something and left the keys in my pocket when she drove off. All she got was the warning message in the DIC. Apparently an owner can drive with no fob present till the engine is shut off. I have not found anything in my 2019 owners manual stating how long the engine will run after starting and driving off with no fob present.
I'm pretty sure this is correct, and a standard. At what point would it be safe for a vehicle to shut itself off, the vehicle would not know. So they are set to simply not allow somebody to turn it back on.
I work on a somewhat busy corner, busy enough that you might not hear your vehicle running if you got out of it, and let's say... forgot to turn it off. Last year I was going for a walk at coffee break and as I passed a Hyundai SUV I thought I heard something. Sure enough, someone had left their vehicle and forgot to turn it off (and thus probably unable to lock it). I opened the door, turned it off. How long had it been idling, no idea.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is correct, and a standard. At what point would it be safe for a vehicle to shut itself off, the vehicle would not know. So they are set to simply not allow somebody to turn it back on.
I work on a somewhat busy corner, busy enough that you might not hear your vehicle running if you got out of it, and let's say... forgot to turn it off. Last year I was going for a walk at coffee break and as I passed a Hyundai SUV I thought I heard something. Sure enough, someone had left their vehicle and forgot to turn it off (and thus probably unable to lock it). I opened the door, turned it off. How long had it been idling, no idea.
It also may depend on whether there is someone sitting in the drivers seat especially if the seat belt is fastened and the electronics could sense that. Then, perhaps after a period of time, if no one is sensed in the driving seat or car is moving, perhaps shuts off.
Good point about being in a noisey environment where traffic and city sounds might combine to let an owner leave a vehicle running.
Although, I've seen a lot of people run into a coffee or sandwich shop and leave their car running to keep it either warm or cool. Of course, I never have checked if the doors are locked.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts