GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reference a 2017 denali.
I've had a few cars in the past that have the key in the pocket, pushbutton start, but none have seem to function like the Acadia.

The other day my wife and I drove to a restaurant, I let her out of the car and went to go park. I probably drove about 400 yards away over a few minute period. I then shut off the car, and couldn't find the keys anywhere. Turns out she had them inside the restaurant. There was no message on the dash at all, like "fob missing"

We later played around with it a little bit, you definitely can't start it unless the key is close by, but we found it can be started with the key outside the car.
But shouldn't it give you a message within a minute or two?
We started thinking about a scenario where we accidentally left the keys at home and drove far away.

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
We started thinking about a scenario where we accidentally left the keys at home and drove far away.
You wouldn't get too far. The car shuts itself off after ~10 minutes once the fob leaves the car's proximity. If you locked the car at home, how would you get into it without the fob in your pocket?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You wouldn't get too far. The car shuts itself off after ~10 minutes once the fob leaves the car's proximity. If you locked the car at home, how would you get into it without the fob in your pocket?
Always unlocked in the garage.

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
How far outside the car was the fob when you experimented with it? The fob 'wakes up' the car when it is within ~3 feet of the vehicle. Makes sense the engine can be started if someone with the fob in their hand (or pocket) is standing within that distance, but not in the car. If you can start the car while the fob is in the house, better run to the dealer and get your car fixed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was cleaning our Acadia the other day and wanted to start it up real quick. I opened the door and put my foot on the brake (while still standing by the door) and hit the start button. Our Acadia wouldn't start and I got "key not detected" message. I had to actually sit down in the seat (Key was in my pocket) Not sure how much closer you need to get.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I was cleaning our Acadia the other day and wanted to start it up real quick. I opened the door and put my foot on the brake (while still standing by the door) and hit the start button. Our Acadia wouldn't start and I got "key not detected" message. I had to actually sit down in the seat (Key was in my pocket) Not sure how much closer you need to get.
Could have just used the remote start button?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Not standard issue, mine doesn't have it... guessing his not either, otherwise he would have.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I played around with it again tonight. Once out of 5 tries I was able to start the car with the keys just outside the door, probably normal. Doesn't look like I could start it with the keys hanging inside the house.

My wife was at the grocery store yesterday and put here purse with the keys inside in the trunk, and it started just fine.

I still want to start it, remove the keysand go for a drive around the neighborhood and see what happens. I guess y'all say it will shut off in 10 minutes? Hopefully with warning

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
... I guess y'all say it will shut off in 10 minutes? Hopefully with warning
The owner's manual says that. Don't expect a warning if you go out to test drive the feature, though. Have wifey waiting on call to rescue you. LOL

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Not standard on Denali trim?
Good point, yet unsure. You'd think a Denali would, but who knows. Maybe depending on the year and where it is (non-winter area?).

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
... where it is (non-winter area?).
Why would that matter? Remote start turns on the A/C, too, along with anything else associated with automatic climate control.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Why would that matter? Remote start turns on the A/C, too, along with anything else associated with automatic climate control.
True, never really thought about that. Never had remote start, don't really see much use TBH. But I pretty much despise idling vehicles unless absolutely necessary.
In winter I have to generally clean off snow if cold enough to justify using, so it warms up during. In summer, it takes all of half a minute to get cool.
Just my opinion on that option...

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
True, never really thought about that. Never had remote start, don't really see much use TBH. But I pretty much despise idling vehicles unless absolutely necessary.
In winter I have to generally clean off snow if cold enough to justify using, so it warms up during. In summer, it takes all of half a minute to get cool.
Just my opinion on that option...
I'm with you that I do not see a lot of use for remote start. I have had multiple vehicles with it and pretty much use it once to make sure it works then never use it again.

I have golfing buddies that use it all the time but have one that had an Acadia for two years and never knew he even had remote start until I showed him.

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
I use remote start sparingly. Heating the car on the inside in winter after a snow helps loosen ice and snow on the outside so it can be cleaned off more easily - plus, the doors won't be frozen shut. On scorching hot summer days, cooling it lessens 'burning the buns' on leather seats.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I use remote start sparingly. Heating the car on the inside in winter after a snow helps loosen ice and snow on the outside so it can be cleaned off more easily - plus, the doors won't be frozen shut. On scorching hot summer days, cooling it lessens 'burning the buns' on leather seats.
I get the former (helping de-ice the windows), just not a fan of having my car running without me there, and never really found they weren't de-iced by the time I cleared off the snow (I do the windshield last). But yes, it would help. I don't think I would use it, but it would help.
Stuck doors, only ever had one vehicle where a door wouldn't open; our (well, my wife's and ours for beating up until it dies) current winter driver 2010 Caravan (aka pickup truck). But it's only the side doors, and not often.
Leather... it's one of many reasons I opt for cloth in all my vehicles. Only my Z06 came with leather (cloth not an option) and I considered swapping out seats partly due to them being leather. So that doesn't enter my equation for remote start.
To each their own, I'm fine without.

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
59 Posts
Where does the Owners manual say that? I see this regarding a key leaving the vehicle.

"NO REMOTE DETECTED PRESS BRAKE TO RESTART This message displays when attempting to turn off the vehicle and the RKE transmitter is no longer detected. Restarting is allowed without the RKE transmitter for five minutes. Press the brake pedal and ENGINE START/STOP to restart the vehicle " pg. 151

·
Super Moderator
22,977 Posts
Where does the Owners manual say that? I see this regarding a key leaving the vehicle.
That's just it. Someone wants to drive without the key(fob) in the vehicle and see how far they get.

·
Registered
59 Posts
That's just it. Someone wants to drive without the key(fob) in the vehicle and see how far they get.
When the fob leaves the vehicle I get a warning that it left. The vehicle will run indefinitely. If I turn it off there is a 5 minute window in which I can restart the car and let it run for another indefinite amount of time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No, I couldn't use the remote start for what I was trying to do. (yes I have it on my Denali) I was listening to the radio and didn't want to run the battery down so I start the car close the door and hit the start button to turn off the car but keep the radio playing for 5min (Can't remember the name of this feature)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts