GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ventured on to the beach with their Acadia? Just curious if the AWD would handle soft sand. We are planning a trip to OBX next summer and we will need to choose between the Silverado and the Acadia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
I have. It was hard sand and then I parked in soft. I didn't go far in the soft since I have a FWD, but my Acadia did fine. No spinning at all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
According to Edmunds it is 90/10 F/R when AWD is not needed and can go up to 35/65 F/R.

I pulled this off another topic concerning front to back power distribution
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,212 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
i try to stay away from sand in my car. if its not in between my toes, i dont need it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Sandhopper

My experience with Delmarva beaches would lead me to believe that an Acadia would do well anywhere vehicles are normally permitted to drive. Areas close to sand dunes may be a problem if the sand is extremely loose. This limitation also would apply to a Silverado, though you'd have over an inch more ground clearance. As you probably know, you may do better with the traction control off in some cases.

Enjoy the Outer Banks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your responses. Thanks for the tip on the traction control I had not thought of that. Having spent most I my life on Delaware beaches I know how easy it is to burry your rig quickly. I have never owned one of these AWDs before and did not know how they would react on the sand. I am used to locking differentials and partime FWD. Maybe I will try to find some sand our here to play in before we trek east. I will post how it works out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Sandhopper said:
Has anyone ventured on to the beach with their Acadia? Just curious if the AWD would handle soft sand. We are planning a trip to OBX next summer and we will need to choose between the Silverado and the Acadia.
The Acadia has neither the power or clearance for soft sand.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
I agree with the clearance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
what does clearence matter, if your stuck your stuck. you can only get your a-arms to drop so far. you could put 33's on it if you want, not sure how that would fit under the wheel wells.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Re: Driving off Pavement in Deep Soft Sand

I have an '08 AWD which I drove on the soft sand beaches of Chappaquiddick on Martha's Vineyard last summer while surf fishing. I've previously used a '05 GMC Envoy 4WD and before that an '02 Suburban 4WD in the same sand. I was a bit apprehensive using the AWD in the sand since my previous vehicles for the past 20 years always had 4WD with low. After deflating the tires to 15psi, I found that the Acadia AWD performed better than the Envoy 4WD in the deep soft sand. The Envoy would occasionally get stuck in deep ruts but the Acadia never did. I was very surprised and pleased with the Acadia's performance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
I understand the reasoning to deflate the tires, but maybe try to go through with full inflation and let us know how it handles
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Having spent 20 years traveling on deep soft sand beaches and getting stuck a few times myself and helping others who got stuck many, many times, I know that it is absolutely essential that the tire pressure be lowered to a max of 15psi to be successful.

If you do try it with full PSI, make sure you are well prepared to dig out or get pulled out and to lower the pressure. Good Luck!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
So even with AWD; you don't think your Acadia would make it; it's understandable though especially in deep sand
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,420 Posts
Tuck, I hope your not driving too fast on the soft tires! In sand, I don't think handling is the issue - it's more getting to where you want to go with some dgree of self-assurance that you can do it without shovelling!

BTW, are you the guy who's causing all our beach erosion?!?! ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Just to clarify, my 2008 Acadia AWD performed very well in deep soft sand...provided that the tire pressure was lowered to 15PSI on all 4 wheels.

This lower tire pressure is required by the local authorities and is standard procedure for all 4WD/AWD vehicles on the deep soft sand beaches where I fish. It is very important to reinflate the tires to the normal PSI as soon as the vehicle exits the sand. I carry a compressor on board for that purpose.

Also, to comply with the law and to minimize erosion and protect beach plants and wildlife, I only drive the Acadia on the trails and beach areas designated specifically for that purpose.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,420 Posts
tuck95 said:
Just to clarify, my 2008 Acadia AWD performed very well in deep soft sand...provided that the tire pressure was lowered to 15PSI on all 4 wheels.

This lower tire pressure is required by the local authorities and is standard procedure for all 4WD/AWD vehicles on the deep soft sand beaches where I fish. It is very important to reinflate the tires to the normal PSI as soon as the vehicle exits the sand. I carry a compressor on board for that purpose.

Also, to comply with the law and to minimize erosion and protect beach plants and wildlife, I only drive the Acadia on the trails and beach areas designated specifically for that purpose.

You must have been a Boy Scout, too! (no "three-finger salute" emoticon found, sorry)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
see, now driving on the sand is starting to sound fun. arent there particle issues like in your pads, halfshaft seals, stuff like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tuck95 said:
Having spent 20 years traveling on deep soft sand beaches and getting stuck a few times myself and helping others who got stuck many, many times, I know that it is absolutely essential that the tire pressure be lowered to a max of 15psi to be successful.

If you do try it with full PSI, make sure you are well prepared to dig out or get pulled out and to lower the pressure. Good Luck!
Thank you Tuck95, I too have spent alot of time on soft/deep sand beaches of DE/MD/OBX. Most of my experience though was using part-time 4wd with locking differentials. I found out quickly my first time on the beach that even with big wide tires on my light toyota pick-up I was just beating the tar out of the truck. Dropped the pressure to 18psi and the truck jumped up ontop of the sand and cruzed. Since this Acadia is the first AWD I have owned I was not sure if it would handle the soft sand. Glad to here you have aready proved it out. Thanks :thumb:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
22,420 Posts
Schram said:
see, now driving on the sand is starting to sound fun. arent there particle issues like in your pads, halfshaft seals, stuff like that?
If your seals are good, they're made to keep that stuff out - drum brakes maybe, disc brake pads unlikely. My dogs get it in their pads. Then the issue becomes more an interior one like particles in the carpet, cloth seats, console storage compartments, etc.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top