GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my '08 SLT-1 in for the reflash, and had them look at the drivetrain whine while there. I was told that numerous customers had had their Acadias, Outlooks and Enclaves in for the very same thing, that a solution was being worked on by GM, and that it had something to do with the A/C compressor.

This was from the service department at Flow in Greensboro; they've recently become something of a GM "megadealer" representing GMC, Buick, Saturn, SAAB and Hummer.

Has anyone else been told the same thing, or have any of the insiders who post here got information that confirms or contradicts this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I can't provide any insider information, but based on personal experience there's definitely a relationship between the A/C compressor and the whine I hear. Air compressor on = whine, air compressor off = no whine. My Acadia is going in to the dealer tomorrow for the reflash and to have this whine problem looked at. We'll see what they say...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine sounds that way all the time, A/C on or off; not that loud or obnoxious but it is getting more pronounced over time. Didn't whine at all when it was new, though. That's why I posted a thread, trying to see if I was being bs'ed. Appreciate any feedback you can provide from your own experience.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The whine on My Acadia appears after a drive for a while (with or without the AC on).
The whine sounds (to me) like a power steering pump whine (or some kind of hydraulic system sound), and disapears when the rpms go sightly above idle.
The whine noise is not very loud (at least for now)
The GM dealer claimed they did not detect the whine

·
Registered
22 Posts
had the same problem but my had to connection to the AC...took it to the dealership and it was the power steering fluid...the replaced it and flushed the power steering system and the problem was resolved...they told me that the fluid was burned and black...GM know that the there is a issues with the fluid they have a letter out telling the shops to replace and flush the fluid....it fixed my....

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dropped mine off today. The service advisor took it for a quick ride around the lot with me and agreed that it shouldn't be that noisy. Mine does it with or without the a/c on. I'll post a followup when I find out what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
If there is a letter out to the shops to flush the power steering fluid, does anyone know what the reference number is. It would be great to get it done if it even remotely could be a problem in the future.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just called my dealer about the "GM letter" on the power steering problem and they confirmed that they know about it. That would be great if its that simple. I just hope it was bad fluid and not something in the system causing the fluid to burn.

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I took mine in for oil change, I told them about A/C whine they told me my compressor was not aligned right and they readjusted.......guess what???? the whine is back, so I dont think that was the problem. I guess I'll take back again.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Turns out that the "replacement part needs to be ordered and we'll call you when it's in." Translation: we know something's wrong but GM doesn't know how to fix it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have noticed the exact same thing on mine, but the situation is slightly different... If I travel for a long time at a high rate of speed (60+), then slow down the whine and vibration resonates through the gas pedal and the steering wheel. I have suspected the power steering myself, though I am not sure how that relates to the engine temp. I wanted to mention it the the dealer when we brought it in for an oil change, but I am pretty sure unless they get it up to the right speed for a significant amount of time, they will never duplicate it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
regarding drivetrain whine and vibration. My 07 AWD had the same problem. They changed the power steering pump but they do not have the parts in stock so they took one off another car to fix mine. Ask you dealer if they carry fan belts? Bet they don't. Mine broke and they took one off another car to fix that too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts