GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There All!
I am relatively new to the community, have placed an order for a 2009 Acadia, and am waiting for it with great anticipation. I have been in the "hunt" for one for several months, falling virtually in love with it from first sight. Aside from it's awesome appearance and design, internally and externally, it has an outstanding list of possible options and equiupment. :) :thumb:

In my particular case, I just had to have the vehicle because it offers considerable driver's seat leg room, which I need in order to drive. I have a physical impairment that requires me to have a minimum of 42.0 inches of leg room (depending upon how you make the measurements - and there are many). When I first test drove an Acadia at the dealership, I was able to move the seat far to the rear, but I still need 1 to 2 more inches to make it easier to drive (and much more comfortable). :sosad:

I was wondering if anyone in the GMC Acadia Online Community has any knowledge as to how I might be able to increase the legroom a few inches (at factory, dealership or aftermarket) without voiding the warranty. Does anyone know of a particular certified bodyshop or specialized customshop that does that type of work in the Chicagoland area?[/color] :banghead: :help:

One example I should mention: I bought a 2003 BMW 530i when it was new (I am trading it in for my Acadia). When it's power driver's seat was set to the rear, it can be moved evern further (several inches) by removing a retaining clip along the seat track. I don't know why BMW designed it in that way, but it was a lifesaver, and it worked (although I still was only afforded about 43.0 inches of legroom). ;D

Is it possible that the design of the 8-way power drivers seat option on my Acadia would be able to be modified to increase rear travel along the seat track/rails?[/color] :help:

Thanks for any information, input or suggestions you may have. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
This may help. I am 6'6". I buy a car as I buy a pair of shoes. I have few choice exasperated by the fact my hips are shot and am on crutches. I find that the Acadia one of the most comfortable vehicles I ever owned, even more so than my 2000 Escalade.
Make sure you're looking at the SLT2. The legroom does increase some when you tilt the seat back as well as raising it. I keep mine all the way back, up and tilted. Also the back reclines and that also helps.
I hope I was able to help some.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Marc, Thanks for taking the time to respond. :)

In fact, I did have that one opportunity to test drive the Acadia at the dealership. I noticed, from having another chance to sit in one several weeks earlier, that the basic seat package does not give you as much range/seat travel as the 8-way seat. Based on what you said, I am guessing that the package I ordered in the SLT-2 will include the enhanced seat offering. I seem to recall something about "lumbar support" and other options in adjusting the upgraded seat. :thumb:

I did move the seat totally to the rear, which gave me quite a bit of room. However, my particular disability requires full extension of my right leg, therefore forcing me to move the seat as far as it can go . . . and then some. The funny thing is, I also need to adjust the height of the seat so my right foot will move freely between the brake and accelerator. Your suggestion about reclining the seat is something else I do to improve mobility. ;)

I was wondering if shifting the seat rails to the rear about 1 -2 inches was possible. But, I'm reasonably certain that GM would invalidate the warranty if an aftermaket change was made. :(

Heck, I thought I was the only one who had these issues . . . ;D

Thanks again, Marc. Good luck and enjoy your Acadia.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts