GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This being a uni-body I noticed a square rail on the drivers side that you can see mounted below the body.

It is 1X2" rectangular, runs from the front to the back with 4-5 mounts but is a couple of inches below the body. I think it is to protect the fuel tank. IE to bottom out instead of punching the tank.

The passenger side does not have this, but there 4 1/2" steel lines that run to the back. These are lind of exposed.

I guess without a frame to run these lines through they just hang them out there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have noticed that too.... but I also noticed on the Saturn Outlook - the XE and XR with the 18" wheels had them on both sides. The touring package - 19" wheels only had it on the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
webhair said:
I have noticed that too.... but I also noticed on the Saturn Outlook - the XE and XR with the 18" wheels had them on both sides. The touring package - 19" wheels only had it on the drivers side.
Anyone without the 19" wheels care to check this out on an Acadia?

Kelly

·
Registered
794 Posts
Interesting! I do[/color]have the bar on both sides. I have the 18 inch wheels. The running boards (which I have) also protect the steel tubing that you were talking about.

·
Registered
310 Posts
why would they make a change like that because of tire size? Does everyone correlate to just that being the variable, or could it possibly be because of build date?

·
Registered
794 Posts
That is a really good question. You may want to post this in the general forum where everybody can see it. I'm not sure all read the teck section.

·
Registered
49 Posts
And the general says.......
(1-19-2007)
Condition/Concern: The Right underbody side rail is missing from the factory or the parts department is unable to locate a replacement part in the catalog. If comparing this to another identical vehicle, some early built vehicle had the underbody side rail on both sides. At this time there has been a design change and this part is no longer used on the right side. The underbody side rail is not a structural part of the vehicle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hmmm... But nothing definitive about it's purpose. Would be interesting to know what these were for in the first place.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey, its finally nice to hear that besides getting all those recalls, I also got something else (the right underbody side rail), that all you ole late comers didn't get. ;D

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wondered about the underbody rail on the driver's side of my wife's 2011 Acadia - it is for cosmetic purposes only per this link. /cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?search=TAC&IncludeBlogs=10&limit=19&page=12

·
Registered
794 Posts
grogol57 said:
I wondered about the underbody rail on the driver's side of my wife's 2011 Acadia - it is for cosmetic purposes only per this link. /cgi-bin/mt/mt-search.cgi?search=TAC&IncludeBlogs=10&limit=19&page=12
[/color]

Would love to see the link, but what does this link to. Don't we need a web page or something?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
sandman said:
[/b][/color]

Would love to see the link, but what does this link to. Don't we need a web page or something?
Newbies must post either five or ten times before being able to link anything :shrug:

·
Registered
15 Posts
grogol57 said:
Yes, I can't post links yet. If you add a "dubya dubya dubya" "sandyblogs" "dotcom" in front of the link above you should get to a GM Tech Links document. Scroll down and you'll see the discussion about the underbody side rails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
grogol57 said:
Yes, I can't post links yet. If you add a "dubya dubya dubya" "sandyblogs" "dotcom" in front of the link above you should get to a GM Tech Links document. Scroll down and you'll see the discussion about the underbody side rails.
Actually, "dubya dubya dubya" "dot" "sandyblogs" "dot com""

·
Super Moderator
18,805 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Interesting link, thanks. By the way, I tend to agree with Speleos. I have done enough off road stuff in the Sierras, that I do think they give a slight bit of protection. Added note. I recently cut a parking lot divider too close and knocked my running board loose. Had to take off the brackets and rebend them in a bench vise. Basically, good as new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts