GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a whine in the drive train when reaching 65 MPH and above. I have the SLT2 AWD and 18" rims. First the dealer said "No noise" then I drove a new one that was as silent as a church mouse. Brought the car in again and they said "Oh we hear it now must be bad tires" and GMC had a bulletin about it so they repaced the tires and rims. They said it was fixed again but the noise is still there. I met with the service manager and the regional service rep for GM last Friday and we all went on a road trip. They heard the noise and I made sure I got the service manager to admit that in front of the rep.. Thursday of this week they took the car in again and performed a vibration test on the vehicle. Result "Within factory specs" funny thing is the dealer said the meter didn't print out the data nor does it record the measurements into any sort of memory. I'm livid. There are many more details and other isssues I'd be happy to share.

Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have the AWD and I have not heard anything that sounded unusual. I'm very picky about weird noises and vibrations so I think I probably would've heard something that shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I hear what I would describe as whine too. I just chalked it up to the AWD. It was mentioned somewhere on here I thought that without the proper break-in the differential I think would make this noise. I performed my break-in to a T, but still hear the noise. Figured it was normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Try shutting off the radio. Seriously - I have it too, but its an electrical issue where the speakers are picking up drivetrain EMI with the radio on. Does it go away with the radio off? My dealer acknowledges the issue but has not been able to fix.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The AWD drivetrain is sensitive to gear noise. In fact the owners manual discusses that it needs to be broken in properly to avoid gear whine and noise during its life. The fact that they even mention this tells me that it is likely some vehicles will have this.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a vibration at that speed started at around 59 the went to 75 or so, it did not make noise, but I could feel it in the seat and the armrest the most. The dealer said they couldn't feel it, they brought in the factory rep, the rep said he couldn't feel it while he was riding with the dealer, when I road with the rep he could feel it. He brought in a "world class mechanic" and found a bad clutch pack in the AWD system. I was getting whining from my power steering at the same time, wasn't related to the AWD turned out to be air in the lines. Both of these issue took 4 trips to the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shut off the radio? Really....... Now that that is out. I went for a ride with the regional rep and the service manager. They both heard it although she was acting prettty coy about it. I brought the car in for another day and they hooked it up to a monitor (EVA) and road tested it. The result and I quote fron the service slip "OPERATING TO MANUFACTURER's SPECS AT THIS TIME, NO VIBRATION DETECTED". I asked the service manager for the vibration report from the road test and he said he can't give it to me. GM customer service (Rep #4) isn't much help either. Anyone know how to proceed on the Lemon Law?

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
ventco said:
Shut off the radio? Really....... Now that that is out. I went for a ride with the regional rep and the service manager. They both heard it although she was acting prettty coy about it. I brought the car in for another day and they hooked it up to a monitor (EVA) and road tested it. The result and I quote fron the service slip "OPERATING TO MANUFACTURER's SPECS AT THIS TIME, NO VIBRATION DETECTED". I asked the service manager for the vibration report from the road test and he said he can't give it to me. GM customer service (Rep #4) isn't much help either. Anyone know how to proceed on the Lemon Law?
Your first step would be getting them to admit to a problem. IF not, lemon law will be hard road for you to take.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I get a sound at that speed but I would not call it a whine. Sounds like tire noise as it is kind of rythmic with the tires. Sort of as if the wheel was out of round but no vibration. I attribute it to the tire problem mentioned in other threads but I have not been bothered enough to have it looked at

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keith,

You should report it to the dealer and they wil replace your tires. There is a tech bulletin for the tires and road noise. The dealer replaced my tires and rims with another Acadia that I drove to look for the noise. That Acadia did not make the noise so, the dealer thought it was a fix. NOT...... They replaced the rims and tires and when i drove the car home the whine was still there.

NY_Joe,

Both the dealer's Service Manager and GM Regional Service Rep accompanied me on a road test/whine demonstration and they both heard the noise. They requested that I make another appointment to have the car analyzed. They put some sort of vibration meter in the car and drove it on the highway. The result was and I quote "Operating to manufacturer's spec at this time". The Service Manger told my wife that I was honed in on the noise and if it were his car he could live with it. When I heard that I called the dealer and he imediately changed his tune and simply said that the vehicle was "Operating to manufacturer's spec at this time". I requested the report for the test and he refused to give it to me.

Now I'm looking into Lemon Law Attorney's

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ventco,
I have the same whine noise...I have don't have AWD and still have the noise...high or low speed sometimes on and off....and it's not the radio the noise moves up and down with the speed of the car...my dealer had the car for two days and said they could not reproduce the sound....as soon as I picked it up...it was back.....NEED HELP THE SOUND IS MAKING ME NUTS.....I HATE TO KNOW THAT A 40K SUV IS MAKING ALL THE SOUNDS...I also have a cracking noise every time I turn at slow speeds.....

HELP>>>>HELP....

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
My SLE recently started whining. No AWD here. Sounds like a power steering whine though. Especially since I hear it most when I'm making a turn. But it is present even sitting still at a stop light. It's much louder when I rev the engine. You can hear it whether the radio is on or off. And the brakes have been making some weird kind of bloopy/squishy noise the first couple times I step on them after starting the car too.

I'm planning on bringing it in soon, just have to find the time. I wouldn't expect a 2007 vehicle with only 12K miles to be making these kinds of noises.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Web Raven said:
My SLE recently started whining. No AWD here. Sounds like a power steering whine though. Especially since I hear it most when I'm making a turn. But it is present even sitting still at a stop light. It's much louder when I rev the engine. You can hear it whether the radio is on or off. And the brakes have been making some weird kind of bloopy/squishy noise the first couple times I step on them after starting the car too.

I'm planning on bringing it in soon, just have to find the time. I wouldn't expect a 2007 vehicle with only 12K miles to be making these kinds of noises.
I'm getting the same whine you have. You hear it either at idle or when you turn at a stop light.
When I am parked, the whine appears to go away if i press the accel pedal just a little to raise the rpms
So, it does sound hydraulic like a power steering pump.
I brought it to the dealer, but they did not hear it (which could be true since it appears that the car needs to be driven for a while to get the whine and the whine is not very loud)

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
darrink1 said:
Web Raven said:

I'm getting the same whine you have. You hear it either at idle or when you turn at a stop light.
When I am parked, the whine appears to go away if i press the accel pedal just a little to raise the rpms
So, it does sound hydraulic like a power steering pump.
I brought it to the dealer, but they did not hear it (which could be true since it appears that the car needs to be driven for a while to get the whine and the whine is not very loud)
They said mine was a noisy bearing in the alternator, so they replaced it. The whine is less noticeable now, but still there. I'm certain it wasn't entirely the alternator, but I have little faith in the techs to diagnose the real problem and fix it, plus I don't want to be without my Acadia until they figure it out, so I'll just deal with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well, they did manage to fix the trans. shifting problem with the recall 07217. So I think they will get a handle on this problem as well.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
darrink1 said:
Well, they did manage to fix the trans. shifting problem with the recall 07217.
That's debatable. I haven't gone on a road trip with it yet, but on my daily commutes around town, my Acadia behaves no differently than it did before... with the exception of the hesitation in acceleration after turning a corner. That seems to be gone for the most part.

It doesn't bug me though. I <3 my Acadia.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts