GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a lot on the overall transmission here, however what about the rear differential and transfer case? When do these need to be serviced? While I'm at it I may as well ask Timing Chain/Belt? Any idea? I am new to GMC and American all together.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
GM doesn't list a sevice interval for the transfercase and rear diff in the Acadia owners manual that I could find. My Silverado manual recommends changing the transfercase fluid every 25K for severe service and every 50K for normal service. There is no recommendation for the rear diff. I changed both the transfercase and rear diff after the 1st year and I'll do it at 50K mile intervals after that.

I would do something similar to my Acadia if it were AWD, but that's just my option. If you asked 10 different people the same thing, you'd probably get 10 different answers. :D

This is what GM recommends for the proper fluid though:

Carrier Assembly -- Differential (Rear Drive Module) and Transfer Case (Power Transfer Unit) - SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. U.S. 89021677, in Canada 89021678) meeting GM Specification 9986115.

Oh, and the Acadia uses a timing chain so there is no maintenance interval for it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, thanks for the response. I thought it was a timing chain. Funny how the manual doesn't recommend even to be checked. I thought they may have been non-serviceable but I got under the car and there is a drain plug. I will check at a couple of dealers and see what their recommendation is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts