GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how does one get the water out of their headlights? I have about 2.5 inches of water in the passenger side headlight it is ip to the yellow running light that sits just below the low beam.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Take it to the dealer? :p

Honestly yours should be replaced. They can fog a little when it's real humid out but you shouldn't have that much water in there.

·
Registered
428 Posts
You definantly have a problem that should not be there. Time for a trip to the dealer to have the headlight replaced.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is my second set and I am pretty sure I know the culprit that is allowing the water/condensation in it was the HID's we had installed they aren't sealing properly and the moisture/rain is getting in around the seal on the back cap. So GM is not going to replace the lenses for a 3rd time due to this fact. So now I need to find out how to remove the water then silicone the rubber seals from the HID kit to seal up that area so no more water gets in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
who is installing your HID's????

I have installed numerous sets and never gotten that much water in them.

You have to make sure that they are fully sealed and siliconed around the hole.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
blulytes said:
who is installing your HID's????

I have installed numerous sets and never gotten that much water in them.

You have to make sure that they are fully sealed and siliconed around the hole.
Ya the hole didn't get siliconed and water seems to get all over the passenger side headlight assembly and thus into the lense.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The best way would be to take the headlight completely out and pour the water out. The only other way I can think of is to use a small diameter tubing (maybe aquarium air hose) and siphon the water out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Actually the best thing to do is, remove them... take out all the bulbs...
Pour them out... Bring them inside and you have a couple of options...

1. Hairdryer
2. Rest them on a dehumidifier
3. Place them on a towel, on a cookie sheet and place them into your oven (if you have a warmer setting, this is the best, open side up)

I will warn you of this... HID bulbs do not like moisture, if they get wet, your lifespan will be drastically cut.

hope this helps, i've been there before! good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
blulytes said:
3. Place them on a towel, on a cookie sheet and place them into your oven (if you have a warmer setting, this is the best, open side up)

I will warn you of this... HID bulbs do not like moisture, if they get wet, your lifespan will be drastically cut.

hope this helps, i've been there before! good luck!
I've done this before with fog lamps that have gotten water in them. I'll rinse them out with distilled water to try and keep as much of the water spotting down and then put them in the oven for awhile to dry. :thumb:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anyone looked at removing the entire headlight assembly? I did and it look like the lower bumber skin needs to be removed to access the housing. I have a syringe I use for my fish tanks that is very large and has a flexible hose on teh end that I am thinking of trying then a heat gun to dry the remaining moisture from the outside. Then the caps are going to be re sealed and the rubber grommets are going to be siliconed with RTV automotive hi temp silicone. Hopefully this works.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i am not sure about the headlight assembly... but you will need to remove the whole thing to really dry out the assembly.
Any moisture left in there will always leave some condensation.
After you get most of the moisture out... you can always play it safe and place a small desicant pouch inside the headlight just to get rid of some last traces.

did your dealership already replace a set of headlights for you after you modified them??? if so, that is a pretty good dealership.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It would seem like if the technician at the dealership was any good he would have at least suggested to silicione up the new bulbs when the headlights were replaced. I would imagine that most dealerships have done more than one HID conversion for customers.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
blulytes said:
i am not sure about the headlight assembly... but you will need to remove the whole thing to really dry out the assembly.
Any moisture left in there will always leave some condensation.
After you get most of the moisture out... you can always play it safe and place a small desicant pouch inside the headlight just to get rid of some last traces.

did your dealership already replace a set of headlights for you after you modified them??? if so, that is a pretty good dealership.
YEs the dealer has replaced them after the mod not once but 2 times and I am sure if I had picked the truck up the teh would have told me to silicone them but my wife picked it up and left without talking to anyone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
did the dealership do the install???

if so, this is their problem, not yours. get new headlights!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
blulytes said:
did the dealership do the install???

if so, this is their problem, not yours. get new headlights!
No they didn't they will not do any aftermarket installs of this type specifically for this reason. On a side note I am getting a new windshield installed as there is an issue with the coating either on the windshield or in the windshield where they have some imperfection in it so they are replacing it.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
If it was an older car, I'd say "drill a small hole in the bottom of the headlight." LOL I've actually done that on my old '87 Ford Taurus years & years ago.

Sounds like you've gotten plenty of great advice here though, so mine was more of a side-comment on the situation. ;) I hope you're able to get it fixed without too much trouble.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Web Raven said:
If it was an older car, I'd say "drill a small hole in the bottom of the headlight." LOL I've actually done that on my old '87 Ford Taurus years & years ago.

Sounds like you've gotten plenty of great advice here though, so mine was more of a side-comment on the situation. ;) I hope you're able to get it fixed without too much trouble.
LOL funny you say that the mechanic that lived a few doors down from us said the same thing he did it with his older Grand Prix and he has no problems now and no fogging wither LOL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts