GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello I am new here
My 2016 GMC Acadia Denali was hauled into dealership today with the third drained battery.
Is anyone else having trouble with their batteries not being drained?
They are diagnosing the problem now they have had it all day,
Thanks for any information you may share.
View attachment 10932
My 2017 Denali does that too. Starter, alternator and battery all are fine. GMC could not find a problem. To get around this I auto start the car from the remote and let it turn off by itself every day I don’t drive it. If I leave it sitting for more than two days my battery is completely drained.

I turn off my AC and radio when I get out of the car so it’s nothing like that. When I drive it’s usually over an hour. This just started to happen about five months ago. Last GMC I ever buy. Nothing but trouble and I’m only at 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had a celica 2004 (bought new) with 2/3 dead batteries after 4 years with 26,000 miles - nothing wrong with the car or the battery.
You just do not drive enough for the battery to be charged.

Last year, with COVID restrictions, had to replace my Acadia’s out of the blue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't understand, your short drives are hour long?
Regardless, I would buy a battery maintainer such as the Battery Tender Jr, and use it when you know that you won't be driving it for 3 or more days.
They're cheap, and this would be an easy test. As noted though, you probably have a parasitic drain.
Point is, if his short drives are an hour long and the battery is not recharging, there is something bad wrong. Unless he has some non-standard equipment that, in conjunction with the normal equipment, exceeds or is close to the charging circuits capacity to recharge the battery then he shouldn't have this issue. All in all it sounds like a poorly designed electrical system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Something isn’t shutting off. I had a buddy that his rear view mirror was causing his battery to drain, the OnStar wasn’t powering down when the car was shut off. You may also want to check that any/all of the doors and rear lift gate switches are not stuck. They tell the power to go off when you open a door with the key off. Also check that the settings aren’t switched so that something is always on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I- Shut the engine off and remove the key. Stay in the car.
2- Open and close the drivers door and verify everything powers off, rear view mirror, radio, lights, windows, wipers, etc. Try the same with the all other doors.
3- Start the engine and then shut it off without removing the key or opening any doors, everything should remain powered up for about 15 minutes then shut off.
4- Verify that the vehicle lights are set to OFF or AUTO.
5- Verify the interior lights are set to OFF or DOOR.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Those short trips in town could be killing the battery. Not a whole lot can be done to prevent that short of putting a charger on it when the vehicle's parked at home.
I have a 2013 Acadia Denali AWD and I replaced my battery even though it was still working well after 5 years. My short trips were typically 3 miles one way and 3 miles return. The gas mileage never got much better than 13 MPG. I have used the vehicle accessories primarily when the motor was running to preserve the battery.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
Im wondering if some folks have those devices that plug into the OBD port....
could be interfering with the sleep process

Reactions: acainindy

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Im wondering if some folks have those devices that plug into the OBD port....
could be interfering with the sleep process
Interesting thought, it is recommended to unplug them if sitting for a while.
Also perhaps a radar detector, Garmin thing, etc., anything non-factory plugged in. Maybe even LED replacement lights?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Interesting thought, it is recommended to unplug them if sitting for a while.
Also perhaps a radar detector, Garmin thing, etc., anything non-factory plugged in. Maybe even LED replacement lights?
Agree . . .
LED replacement lights in some vehicles for sure can sometimes cause a drain.
We know of the advice to not use them in back up lights.
I've seen LEDs in some of my previous GM vehicles cause "after glow" in interior dome lights if they were not CANBUS. If let as is. . . they could cause battery drain even though only milliamps of current drain.

Of course, our 2019 and I assume +2017(?) already have interior LED lights.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Agree . . .
LED replacement lights in some vehicles for sure can sometimes cause a drain.
We know of the advice to not use them in back up lights.
I've seen LEDs in some of my previous GM vehicles cause "after glow" in interior dome lights if they were not CANBUS. If let as is. . . they could cause battery drain even though only milliamps of current drain.

Of course, our 2019 and I assume +2017(?) already have interior LED lights.
But maybe the OP (or a PO) replaced tail lights, etc.?

Reactions: JayTee2019

·
Registered
2007 Acadia SLT AWD 300,000 Miles
7 Posts
For me, I had a leak under the windshield, that when ever we had wet weather my Acadia would drain the battery. Please check your fuse block inside, right side by the glove box. Once I had the leak repaired and the fuse block replaced and added an AGM type battery I am perfect. Now that I work from home, I use the car so infrequent that a regular battery would die with the security system and computer always awake. But not now.

2007 SLT, AWD, 3.6L
White, 300K Miles and still going

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello I am new here
My 2016 GMC Acadia Denali was hauled into dealership today with the third drained battery.
Is anyone else having trouble with their batteries not being drained?
They are diagnosing the problem now they have had it all day,
Thanks for any information you may share.
View attachment 10932
I can't say for sure with these cars but my avalanche did this for years and a tech I ask about it, ask me if I ever used the onstar. I said never once. He ask if I park in a garage or where I could not get satellite signal. I told him I live in a woods with heavy cover. He said if you don't plan on using it (onstar) you can unplug it. He then showed me where it was on the truck. I unplugged it and no more dead batteries. Before someone points out that we cant unplug the onstar module on these cars. I know that, but thought if you were not able to get satellite signal it could be the cause. He told me that onstar randomly gets an update and if it cant get a signal it keeps trying until the battery is dead. He said the circuit for run down protection is not part of the onstar unit.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Very interesting... out of range would make sense.
Even if you don't subscribe, Onstar is on; I get monthly reports with no subscription.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been experiencing this with my 2016 Denali, 37k miles, as well. Replaced the battery in December with an Interstate battery. My driving habits are nearly identical to OPs -45min to an hour drive 2-3 times a week, shorter trips in between.

One month after replacing the battery, I went to start the car one evening and it was totally dead. The doors wouldn’t unlock without using the key. I had just driven it the day before. When I put the key in the ignition it wouldn’t even turn over and the key was stuck in the ignition. The guy that came to jump it wasn’t able to get anything going while connected under the hood. We had to go directly to the battery under the seat and sat there for 20 minutes before I was able to get enough juice to remove the key. Once we got it going I drove straight to the dealership.

Dealership couldn’t find any issues with it. After reading about similar issues on this board, I now make a habit of putting the car in drive before putting it into park since I back into my garage and someone mentioned that as an issue....I haven’t had any issues with it starting lately but I have noticed on more than one occasion that if I sit in the car and lock the doors after turning it off, I can’t unlock the car without the key fob. The locks don’t appear to work inside of the vehicle after that 10 minute window after it’s shut off. The other thing I’ve noticed while waiting for my kids after school, I’ve been in the car using the phone with the car off. After 10 minutes I hear a click sound which I know to mean that the electrical system is shutting off. Usually, I get a message on the screen saying my call will transfer to the handset. It doesn’t do this anymore. The Bluetooth continues to let me talk until I either open the door or shut the radio off myself. Everything else shuts off -power to windows and and as I mentioned no unlocking from inside. I saw all of these things occasionally before the first battery died. Now, these are regular occurrences.

Thinking of just getting rid of it now since it seems like this issue goes unsolved more often than not with lots of costly attempts at trouble shooting and no limited resolution.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts