GMC Acadia Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I had read where that was a potential issue, but I figured I would see my tranny fluid level increase for no reason. I was surprised the fluid condition changed so quick. I'm going to look into that. Since the slipping issue coincides with the full operating temp and the coolant system becoming pressurized, I can see that being a possible cause. Thanks for replying
Today I removed the radiator cap, then the hoses from the transmission. I covered one of the hose ends, and blew air in the other end from an air compressor and looked and listened for bubbles from the radiator opening, but there was nothing. Pressure was pretty strong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
After doing some more research, I've decided to pull the transmission and check and see if I installed the torque converter correctly. I've pulled a few manual transmissions before, but this is the first auto that I've dealt with. I wasn't aware how specific the torque converter is supposed to fit. Seemed to slip onto the tranny without any issues, when I did a trial fit before I put the transmission back in, but that may not have been good enough. We'll see

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I got the transmission out, for the second time. during and after removal, the torque converter did not appear to have slid off or moved out of position. It appeared to be fully seated. I pulled it off, and there doesn’t look like there is any damage. I did notice the tube of the torque converter had two opposing flat sides. I looked into the transmission and saw, down in the hole, opposing flat sides. When I lined up the torque converter to go in, with the flat sides in the same location, the torque converter seemed to drop in further than it was when I removed it. Seemed further than when I did the trial fit the first time I put the transmission in. When I did this the first time, I was concerned about lining up the splined shaft with the torque converter splines. I noticed the flat sides, but did even think about them aligning with anything. The flat sides look like they line up with the fluid pump, so they have to fit correctly, so the pump works.

Heres my question: If the torque converter wasn’t lined up correctly, and not sitting down in the pump, why didn’t I have any trouble fastening it to the flywheel? Seems like, if I re-install it, with it dropped down into the fluid pump, when I fasten it to the flywheel, that it will pull back out of the pump.

In my first installation, the case set flush against to engine block. When I lining up the first flywheel bolt, I was able to spin the flywheel, and did not make contact with the torque converter. Shouldn’t there have been some interference, if the torque converter was not sitting down into the transmission correctly?

I would like some input before I put this all back together again, if there’s any transmission people out there. Thanks

21 - 23 of 23 Posts