GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2012 Acadia, close to 200K. Been a great car and I really like it. Couple days ago transmission acted like it was slipping. RPM's would jump. Constantly hunting for a gear. I was able to hobble it home and was going to pull the TCU off the next day. Code reader said "Pressure control solenoid C stuck off". Next day, I fired it up in the driveway and let idle while I moved stuff out of my garage so I could pull it in. It was running for about 5 minutes and died. Tried to restart it, but it sounded different. Pulled the intake and valve covers off and found the chains are loose, and I think the firewall side jumped a couple teeth and is out of time. Really feeling bummed, but I'm getting ready to dig into a timing chain replacement. Am I wasting my time, though? What do you all think the chances are that I escaped the clutches of catastrophic engine damage? And then there's the transmission. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Sad to say . . A vehicle engine with failures in both the engine and drive train and 200,000 miles is pretty well used. I suppose if you are up to the task, the TEHCM repair kit would be easy enough.
But as you state, will replacing the timing chain (and maybe other components) be enough to repair the engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I decided to move forward and started to dismantle the passenger side engine compartment to get to the timing cover. I've watched numerous videos, and read threads on this forum over a period of time anticipating the need to do the timing chain job. I was planning on dropping the engine and cradle, but, at this point, I've got the timing cover exposed and I can get an idea of how much room I have, and it looks like I'll have enough room without having to remove the engine. Next step, I'll remove the cover.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Well, I decided to move forward and started to dismantle the passenger side engine compartment to get to the timing cover. I've watched numerous videos, and read threads on this forum over a period of time anticipating the need to do the timing chain job. I was planning on dropping the engine and cradle, but, at this point, I've got the timing cover exposed and I can get an idea of how much room I have, and it looks like I'll have enough room without having to remove the engine. Next step, I'll remove the cover.
A good start ! Please do let us here on the forum know how it goes. Will be good encouragement for others who may read in the future and help determine similar efforts to keep another Acadia on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got a 2012 Acadia, close to 200K. Been a great car and I really like it. Couple days ago transmission acted like it was slipping. RPM's would jump. Constantly hunting for a gear. I was able to hobble it home and was going to pull the TCU off the next day. Code reader said "Pressure control solenoid C stuck off". Next day, I fired it up in the driveway and let idle while I moved stuff out of my garage so I could pull it in. It was running for about 5 minutes and died. Tried to restart it, but it sounded different. Pulled the intake and valve covers off and found the chains are loose, and I think the firewall side jumped a couple teeth and is out of time. Really feeling bummed, but I'm getting ready to dig into a timing chain replacement. Am I wasting my time, though? What do you all think the chances are that I escaped the clutches of catastrophic engine damage? And then there's the transmission. Is there a light at the end of this tunnel?
I had bought a fairly low mileage Acadia, loaded with the apparent timing chain issue - for cheap, as something to learn on and walk my boys through some auto work, while knowing that I could face an engine swap. After removing the valve covers and seeing a few cracked cam caps, I knew it was going to be a swap (valves must have hit and are bent as well). My reman engine just arrived so now I can get to it. I'd be sure to check for those other tell tale signs before doing just the timing components. I pulled mine out the front as I have no lift and is not super hard. I'm doing the tranny at the same time for the added insurance. For me, it's worth the investment at various levels and less risky than buying something else used. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, finally got all the chains on and lined up. I referenced some videos. Cloyes, Melling, and a Gotech video, which was pretty long and thorough. Engine spins fine with no interference. There was no damage that I could see as far as cracks or loose parts. My only issue, is with top dead center. Can anybody help me? When I have piston 1 at top dead center, left bank (radiator side of engine) cam flats are facing down, right bank (firewall side of engine) are almost facing down. When I continue to rotate the engine, and the number 1 piston reaches bottom of stroke, the left side cam flats are facing up and the right side are almost up. At top dead center, shouldn’t I have cam flats up? Can it be 180 degrees out?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I’m over-thinking this. I put the crank in the correct position. I put the camshafts in the correct position for each phase and used the camshaft locking plates to hold the camshafts in position. Just so happens when cylinder 1 (firewall side and passenger side piston) is at top dead center, camshaft flats are facing down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got everything back together, fired it up, seems to run and sound good. I just let it idle for a couple minutes and cut it off. Now to the transmission. I’m going to start with removing the TCM. Really don’t know what to expect at this point. Worse case scenario, I’ll be removing the transmission. Has anybody been able to do it from the top?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Glad you had success. I found out a little more on mine ....after removing the oil pickup in the pan, I found that it was largely blocked by the plastic pieces of the timing guides. They were up against the screen so apparently sucked up there (engine running). I would think that this much blockage would impact the oil flow. Unsure if that caused further failure leading to catastrophic damage or if the broken guides were enough by themselves.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts