GMC Acadia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
GAR said:
xcskier said:
A good samaritan did indeed turn them in, about one week after they were lost.
They must have spend that time going around pressing the panic button and gave up after not finding the car. :)
I was thinking the same thing.... ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but this seemed the most relevant for comparison's sake.
Curious what others may have paid for an additional key.

I saw this thread's quoted at $36. My dealer just quoted me $50 ... which seems pretty steep for a key, even if it does have a chip inside of it.
Anybody have any other options?

·
Registered
164 Posts
My dealer gave me a third key at no charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife lost her set of Acadia keys with remote.

It's maddening... :angryfire: she used the keys at a grocery store checkout (to scan the loyalty card), then realized before she even got to the door that they were not in her purse. She immediately went back to the checkout, but the keys were nowhere to be found.

We wonder if perhaps the next person in line picked them up by mistake. Also, the checker didn't really look for them very hard, as the store was busy.

Now, we're posting on lost and found, and hoping some good samaritan returns them to the store, or the store employees find them.

In the meantime, I've checked with the dealer about replacement.

Here's the bad news:

New key $36
New remote $109

This is the "4-button" remote, with remote starter and lift gate. I don't know why it's called 4-button, since there are clearly 5 buttons on the fob:
1) start
2) lock
3) unlock
4) liftgate
5) panic

The key is in stock, but the remote has to be ordered (3-4 day delivery). The dealer will program it to the vehicle at no labor charge.

Anyway, the lesson here is don't lose your key or remote. They're pretty expensive things to replace!

We're going to give the unknown good samaritan another few days, then buy the replacement.
If your wife lost the remote, how does the dealer program it without her car? Do you have to have the car towed there? I have done the same thing but the dealer told me I had to have my car towed and that it would be about $500.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Your best bet is to buy a replacement online and have a mobile key service come to your house to make a new key and program the remote. It doesn't have to be done at the dealership.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Your best bet is to buy a replacement online and have a mobile key service come to your house to make a new key and program the remote. It doesn't have to be done at the dealership.
That is another good alternative idea alright. Especially with the COVID-19 issues. Having a mobile key service come to you and then being able to stay at home and see what they do . . . from a distance.
Afterwards, the Acadia can be sanitized personally then. (y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
If your wife lost the remote, how does the dealer program it without her car? Do you have to have the car towed there? I have done the same thing but the dealer told me I had to have my car towed and that it would be about $500.
Car has to be towed and the keys programmed to the car, unless the dealer will come to you.
Also once programmed, the key cannot be reprogrammed to another vin.
Both keys need to be present on GMs to learn new/additional keys as it wipes out the vehicles memory when new are learned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 27 of 27 Posts