GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife lost her set of Acadia keys with remote.

It's maddening... :angryfire: she used the keys at a grocery store checkout (to scan the loyalty card), then realized before she even got to the door that they were not in her purse. She immediately went back to the checkout, but the keys were nowhere to be found.

We wonder if perhaps the next person in line picked them up by mistake. Also, the checker didn't really look for them very hard, as the store was busy.

Now, we're posting on lost and found, and hoping some good samaritan returns them to the store, or the store employees find them.

In the meantime, I've checked with the dealer about replacement.

Here's the bad news:

New key $36
New remote $109

This is the "4-button" remote, with remote starter and lift gate. I don't know why it's called 4-button, since there are clearly 5 buttons on the fob:
1) start
2) lock
3) unlock
4) liftgate
5) panic

The key is in stock, but the remote has to be ordered (3-4 day delivery). The dealer will program it to the vehicle at no labor charge.

Anyway, the lesson here is don't lose your key or remote. They're pretty expensive things to replace!

We're going to give the unknown good samaritan another few days, then buy the replacement.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Don't Lose Your Key or Remote!

Wow that sucks. It's nice to have all the technology and security, but I do miss the day when you could get a copy of your car key made at the local hardware store for under $1. :)

·
Registered
428 Posts

Yep the keys are expensive. I lost the set for my silverado in lake Conroe one weekend when we took the jet ski out. It cost right at 140 from the dealer for the remote and the key. If you can wait for it you can order the remote off ebay and save quite a bit of money and they come with the instructions to program them to the vehicle.

·
Registered
234 Posts

You think that is bad...try losing a Volvo smart key...$250+. Luckily it was only "lost" for a few days before we found it in the couch....don't ask.

·
Registered
70 Posts

Last week, I left my Acadia key and remote in the pocket of my pants and--you guessed it--they got washed and dried with the rest of the laundry! :help:

The good news is that, after a day of sitting out on the kitchen counter, the key and remote work just fine! Who would've thought that?!?!? Better than a Timex watch! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts

Mrs. Blue did the same thing w/ her third Durango. Try shopping for the remote on ebay, the dealer can program it either way and this may save some $. We also got a key there that the dealer said would not work, but it did. ??? I'm not up on the new keys with the GM models, I know the PASS-Key system used a resistor in the key. I'm sure the tech is a lot more advanced nowadays.

·
Registered
730 Posts

Yes, these things are expensive. My Galant's key with integrated remote buttons cost $192 before programming/labor charges.

I hope you get your key back.

·
Registered
125 Posts

xcskier:
Since I installed the advanced remote on my Acadia, I could part with one of my OEM remotes for much less than $109.

·
Registered
424 Posts

I just bought a 'blank' key from eBay for both of my vehicles ... they were $14 each, and can be cut at any locksmith ...

The programming to the vehicle is very easy, so long as you still have both original keys.... If you've already lost one, it's not so easy. :)

I'm going to have the keys cut tomorrow and program them ... I'll let everyone know how it goes, but the peace of mind is well worth the $14 for me!

--DM

p.s. What predicated this purchase was an accidental "oops-I-took-both-sets-of-keys-to-work" moment last week. My wife had my keys in her purse, and then took her keys in the morning. Whoops. Not that it was a bad thing -- meant I couldn't bring our little guy to day care and had to spend the whole day with him -- actually worked out really great. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts

I also bought the key off eBay for $12 each (ordered 3) and the local locksmith cut them for a couple bucks. Great deal found at mykeyless. Locksmith even asked how and where I got the keys said it was cheaper than he could get them. To program just follow the book, it was easy and they work great.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

dmurphy,

Why do you need both original keys to program a new key?

Seems like as long as you have one, it should be pretty simple.

On pg 122 of the 2007 owner's manual, it describes how to program a new key using one of the originals. Here is the text:

To program the new additional key do the
following:
1. Verify that the new key has a + stamped
on it.
2. Insert the original, already programmed, key
in the ignition and start the engine. If the
engine will not start, see your dealer/retailer
for service.
3. After the engine has started, turn the key to
OFF, and remove the key.
4. Insert the new key to be programmed and
turn it to the ON position within five seconds
of removing the original key.
5. The security light will turn off once the key
has been programmed.
6. Repeat Steps 1 through 5 if additional keys
are to be programmed.
[/color]

Sorry to be dense, but I don't see where you need both originals.

Thanks,
xcskier

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

jseck2,

Thanks for the link, but the remote they sell does not have remote start capability. I suppose that's one reason it's much lower price.

I have found others on the web for less than the $109 dealer price.

I may go used, with help from people on this forum!

What a great support group...

xcskier

·
Registered
395 Posts

I'd give them a call with the FCC number on the back of the remote, they probably have the correct one, even if not listed on that page.

·
Registered
424 Posts

xcskier said:
Sorry to be dense, but I don't see where you need both originals.

Thanks,
xcskier
You are absolutely, 100% correct. In the Acadia, only one key is needed.

I also have a 2007 Ford Freestyle (my company car). In that vehicle, you need both keys to program a 3rd key.

How to program a Ford key.

I apologize - I got it backwards as to which vehicle needed what ... I'm adding a 3rd key to each car, so the memory got a little fuzzy.

Sorry!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Kantkwit,

Check pms about selling one of your old remotes.

Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks, dmurphy.

That makes sense.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all for the help and offers.

My wife went back to the grocery store today, and recovered her keys. ;D

A good samaritan did indeed turn them in, about one week after they were lost. My faith in human nature has been restored.

God bless nice and honest people. :angel:

No need to replace the remote or the key. We were planning to do it soon, and had basically written them off as a permanent loss. Good thing we delayed.

I think I've learned from the experience that I will indeed get a replacement key (since it's not very expensive) and keep it safe to enable a future replacement with minimal expense and bother. I'm going to skip the remote for now, and hope we hold on to the two we have.

Have a good evening, all.

xcskier

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
xcskier said:
A good samaritan did indeed turn them in, about one week after they were lost.
They must have spend that time going around pressing the panic button and gave up after not finding the car. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts