GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my Acadia 2008 for 8 months now. Although the car functions great, drives well, and has lots of room, there is an unresolvable water leak issue with the sunroofs (I have front and back which compounds the problem).

I will have had it in for service 3 times in the last 3 months (since it started raining heavily).

Front Pillars - seatbelt area leak heavily
Front Driver compartment - flooded once.
Front Passenger compartment - flooded 3 times now - mold has grown - areas regarding seat movement are rusting.
3rd Row Pillars - leaking
And to top it off - water started POURING at last rainstorm from the rear backup sensor lights inside the car. Not dripping .. pouring.

Dealership where I service the car has probably been told by GMC not to talk to the customers and let them know there is a HUGE problem. They just say its the plugs that came undone or dirt build-up. Last time I was in was immediately following a rainstorm and there were Acadia's lined up with the same problem - some in for the same problem 3 and 4 times.

I have heard that there may be some legal action starting and that the car may fall under the "Lemon Law" in the U.S. (I am from Canada so I don't fully know how it is being handled here).

My recommendation would be to go forth and search for another brand.

My only hope with this posting is that I save some unsuspecting soul in this forum from going through what I am now.

Regards.

(Note: I can only speak about 2007 and 2008 model years - I have not read any cases regarding 2009 at this time)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Plenty of threads around here dealing with the sunroof leaking especially on the 2007, and with the recall for them as well. To start a thread saying "Don't buy an Acadia" seems to be purely out of frustration. I'm disappointed to see it. I have the dual sunroofs, as many others do, with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
347 Posts
:ditto:

Nhersco,
There are a lot or threads, postings and references to TSB's regarding this issue. It has been going on for some time, but you will learn that GM has addressed the problem. The fixes that are used rarely result in the customer seeing the problem again.

Perhaps you should explore this site a little deeper and you will discover that the problem does have a resolution. You may not have to dump your vehicle once the issue is addressed, and you may look at your investment in a more favorable light once it is resolved.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Besides visiting other threads addressing your problem, if it is possible, to take your car to another dealer who knows how to fix and i understand there is a recall addressing your problem with installing a kit by your dealer. Sorry to hear of your water leak problem and hope a dealer in Canada will help you get it right.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Here (IL) if you still have a problem after three repair attempts,
you can lemon the car.

Sorry to here the problems you are having, and
I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I was wondering if the rubber gasket is an issue with the sun roof leak?
It seems to me, if the sun roof is closed, very little or no water should
be leaking past the gasket. What little does leak, should be handled
by the drain tubes.

Maybe removing the sun roof and applying sealent to the rubber gasket would help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish it was only a gasket ... would make life easy. It's going in tomorrow (again) and I have a list of suggestions from people so far.
I think the "taking it to a new dealership" is the best one. I have discussed with 2 service managers at different locations over the past couple of months. Maybe a third opinion will be the one.

The drain tubes, I was originally told, was the problem and the kits were sent and installed. I doubt that this is the underlying problem as almost everyone on the forums I am on have had it replaced and still have the problem. I say "almost" since it can rain and there is no leak. Needs to be a downpour. During a regular rain, you can "hear" drips in the seatbelt columns - not enough to get into the car - but a slight dampness on the belt when extracted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
nhersco said:
I wish it was only a gasket ... would make life easy. It's going in tomorrow (again) and I have a list of suggestions from people so far.
I think the "taking it to a new dealership" is the best one. I have discussed with 2 service managers at different locations over the past couple of months. Maybe a third opinion will be the one.
The drain tubes, I was originally told, was the problem and the kits were sent and installed. I doubt that this is the underlying problem as almost everyone on the forums I am on have had it replaced and still have the problem. I say "almost" since it can rain and there is no leak. Needs to be a downpour. During a regular rain, you can "hear" drips in the seatbelt columns - not enough to get into the car - but a slight dampness on the belt when extracted.
You have EVERY right to be upset and do not let people on this forum tell you to not post "Don't buy an Acadia". I have leased GMC SVV's for over 12-years now and I am brand loyal as the next guy. BUT you have a major problem on an investment in a vehicle that you have bought. Water is NO JOKE in a home, car or whatever you have water damage with.

I get vilified on this site when I say that other crossovers are just as good. My wife owns a Volvo XC90 and loves it. Acura MDX, Honda Pilot, Nissan, etc., etc. all make great crossovers. Between the transmission and water leaks; IMHO GMC has NOT come to the plate on fixing these issues quick enough.

Now do not get me wrong I really like my Acadia and would probably re-lease another one if the line is still made, but GM has to make improvements and fast. I do believe the 2009's have all these bugs fixed, but the really need to make whole for people that own 07's & 08's. Do not give up and fight to the end even it if is a total replacement of vehicle.

Off my soap box now!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The saga continues ... 3rd leak - brought in for repair. Said it was fixed.

Last week - flooded vehicle after a rainstorm.

I have given up. I am not bringing it back again. Nobody will help. Dealership (Plaza Pontiac Dufferin - Toronto) doesn't care. They have completely lied to me. They are useless and have no clue. They made their money 3 times over by billing GM for repairs that they didn't do.

So .. I am done. Winter is here. I won't have any leaks for 6 months after which time I will take a caulking gun and a gallon of caulk and head off every crevasse of the vehicle where I think it leaks.

Since GM will be bankrupt in 6 months, it doesn't really matter. I will give the vehicle back in 3 years and NEVER buy one again from them.

Right now I just tell everyone who listens the story. I can only hope that the company goes under. I will celebrate. Maybe they should have learned a long time ago from their foreign counterparts how to both run a company and build a car.

I still hope that anyone who reads this NOT buy a 2007 or 2008 Acadia. Do a search on "LEAKS" and you will see the survey that 38% of all owners have experienced this.

OK - back to the more important things in life ... this is only a car and it's only 3 more years - probably about 10 -15 more leaks - I have duct-tape, caulking and molded floor mats in all rows now and I will be ready for it.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sorry to hear how upset you are. I'd be upset myself. In 3 years please come back to this forum and let us know what you have decided to buy / lease. Until then, happy calking.

Smooth[/color] <><

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
nhersco said:

I have given up. I am not bringing it back again. Nobody will help. Dealership (Plaza Pontiac Dufferin - Toronto) doesn't care. They have completely lied to me. They are useless and have no clue. They made their money 3 times over by billing GM for repairs that they didn't do.

So .. I am done. Winter is here. I won't have any leaks for 6 months after which time I will take a caulking gun and a gallon of caulk and head off every crevasse of the vehicle where I think it leaks.

Since GM will be bankrupt in 6 months, it doesn't really matter. I will give the vehicle back in 3 years and NEVER buy one again from them.

Right now I just tell everyone who listens the story. I can only hope that the company goes under. I will celebrate. Maybe they should have learned a long time ago from their foreign counterparts how to both run a company and build a car.

I still hope that anyone who reads this NOT buy a 2007 or 2008 Acadia. Do a search on "LEAKS" and you will see the survey that 38% of all owners have experienced this.

OK - back to the more important things in life ... this is only a car and it's only 3 more years - probably about 10 -15  more leaks - I have duct-tape, caulking and molded floor mats in all rows now and I will be ready for it.
I am usually a very nice and calm Acadia forum member, don't normally bash someone, But I feel my friend that you deservce a little smack in the head.

Lose the posts about your disappointment with the Acadia leaks and GM's ability to fix it. This was an engineering mistake by GM, they found a way to fix it, and have sent out information to owners and dealers on how to fix it. There is plenty of Owners that have had the leak repaired without further issues. The problem you are having is at the DEALERSHIP!!!!!! WHY WOULD YOU CONTINUE TO GO TO THE DEALERSHIP 3 TIMES TO GET IT FIXED??? If the 1st time didn't work, fine give em a 2nd shot, 2nd time no good. GO ELSEWHERE!!!! If others are bringing their cars to the same dealership numerous times, when do you get the clue that the dealership is the PROBLEM!!!

I now blame you, for your lack of responsibility to followup and get your vehicle repaired correctly. Instead you choose to come on here and spout off about taking caulk to a $40,000 automobile that is 8 months old, who would really think about doing something like that?!!!! AND to a leased vehicle at that, do you really think the the dealership is going to be happy when you bring them a moldy, smelly wet Acadia with duct tape and caulking!!!
nhersco said:
Dealership where I service the car has probably been told by GMC not to talk to the customers and let them know there is a HUGE problem[/color].
GM sent letters to the owners telling them that their is a problem, ONCE Again the dealership is the problem.

If you choose not to take it to another dealership to get this problem fixed properly, then that is just sad. At somepoint you have to stop blaming others, and ask yourself if you really have done everything that you could do to fix the problem, and no a Caulk gun, duct tape, and floor liners are not the proper solution.
Like I said in the beginning, I don't normally type like this, but you need to wake up and get off the forum and goto another dealership FAST!

Best of luck with the leak, let us know when you get it fixed at a different dealership.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Here is an avenue to try....contact LeakPro folks (www.leakpro.com) and tell them about your problem. Some dealers in Toronto "outsource" this fix to them - happened in my case- and these guys did a fantastic job. My Outlook had a leak and was fixed in a few hrs. with no damage to any interior parts (they have to drop the entire ceiling panel in order to fix it). So call them and they advise you which dealer you have to go through in order to get the vehicle fixed by LeakPro folks.

Good luck !

J33

nhersco said:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Bonk,

I understand what nhersco is going through.
I had a similar experience with a honda element.
I owned the car 4 years and had 4 repairs, all of which should have been
covered under warrenty, but were not. How much extra effort do I the customer have to do,
to get a vehicle fixed under warrenty.
For that reason, I will never buy a honda again.
nhersco has all the right in the world to post this.
Dealer or not, that vehicle should be made right.[/color]

·
Registered
912 Posts
Contact Brian Finch Pontiac Buick in London they will fix it and fix it correctly teh first time and you will be done with the issue they have had maybe 50 of these through the dealership to do the leak repair and have not had a single one come back to have it re done.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Bonk,

covered under warrenty, but were not.   How much extra effort do I the customer have to do,
I am not sure where the confusion is.. I too feel that the vehicle should be fixed properly. GMC has not let this consumer down, The dealership did. From what I am reading, nobody has denied this person the right to a repair and coverage of the repairs under warranty, the DEALERSHIP has just not been able to fix it. Copper, you had 4 different(not sure but seems that way from how I read it) over 4 years. He has had the same problem occur 3 times, attempting 3 fixes at the same dealership in 3 months.......WHY KEEP GOING BACK TO THEM? He hasn't said that he had to pay the bill for the repair, or lack thereof.

My strong encouragement to this member, is to go to another dealership and stop messing with the Plaza Pontiac, they obvoiusly don't know what they are doing, BEFORE he ruins the car with DUCT TAPE, and CAULK....

I am not saying that he doesn't have the RIGHT to post this, I am saying he should be spending time finding another dealership to get it fixed properly rather then just typing on here about how disgusted he is with the GMC Acadia. The frustration should be with the dealership, and not GMC.

nhersco, Have they sealed the drains for the stationary 2nd row glass?

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
AMEN!!!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I certainly hope that this guy's next employeer will overlook that one unexcused absence during his very productive time at his previous employeer. Even with the stellar overall performance, all his current boss focuses on is that one absence. The boss tells everyone about the absence & tells them not to consider this guy -- even though he does a great job.

This is just an analogy. I know nothing about this gentleman and is not intended to belittle him. I do wish him the best in his quest to solve his sunroof issue. By the way, our Acadia (without sunroof) has had zero quality issues.

Mark

·
Registered
624 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
Bonk,

covered under warrenty, but were not. How much extra effort do I the customer have to do,
copperhead....SURELY you are mistaken! :eek: There is NO WAY an import from the Land of the Rising Sun could have been that troublesome. Neither could their 5 star customer service OR any of their completely above board dealerships neglected to take care of you. I suspect that you must have really been driving a Pontiac that someone had mis-badged with a Honda emblem. There is just no way that could have been a Honda. Maybe you should re-think your post! ;D

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What I'm saying is,
I will NEVER buy a honda again,
nor would I recommend a honda to anyone, simply because
of the hassle of going into the dealer and getting shafted.
Additionally, I do try to dissuade people from buying them.

I think most people would do the same, don't you?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts