GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don, coming from a Sequoia, what is your opinion on the difference in driving a shorter crossover versus a Sequoia which gives you that feeling of sitting up high and the great view of the road? I really love our Sequoia and am afraid we'll regret downsizing (except the gas mileage part!) We were on a road trip this past weekend and I realize how much I enjoy a larger vehicle that you can just load up with tons of stuff. The thing I'm struggling with is why do I need a truck -- especially when the 2008 Sequoia will be a lot bigger.

Also, do you really feel that you have just as much space in the Acadia? My initial feeling was that it was a more closed-in type of feeling.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really honestly like the Acadia better. Yes, you would be loosing about ten cubic feet of storage, but I think the ease of using the storage with the Acadia trumps having to remove those back seats in the Sequoia. (I am assuming the 2008 models still have the removable third row.) The front head room is exactly the same, front leg room exactly the same, and third row is more comfortable because the second row captains chairs allows you to stretch out your legs with the space between the two seats. I would just drive the Acadia as much as you can in a test drive or if you happen to live in area (like Denver) where they seem to have rentals available, and see if you like the feel. I did really like the Sequoia, but I have found that the Acadia is a perfect blend of a big vehicle while still feeling like you are driving something much smaller then you really are. Also the Acadia comes standard with Onstar, which has come a long way. The turn by turn directions have been flawless every time I have used them, and free information calls are always nice. Not to mention the safety of having Onstar. Also I think the safety features of the Acadia surpass the Sequoia. The heads up display (optional) is very useful in not having to take your eyes off the road to see your speed or the outside temp., or the radio station. You need to buy the vehicle you think is best for your needs, but I can say that I absolutely do not regret buying the Acadia over the Sequoia.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also as far as the height and length of the vehicle, the Acadia is only 2.4 inches shorter, and 3.9 inches shorter in length.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your detailed response! I really appreciate it!

I came up with a new idea today that will allow me to get an Acadia (or Enclave depending on which one we like better) and still allow us to keep the Sequoia. My husband is looking to replace his 1999 Acura RL and we are considering buying the Sequoia for him to drive for a few years. That would actually buy me a little more time to wait for the right time to purchase an Acadia instead of being under the gun to do something before December.

Thanks again for your comparisons -- it's great that you love your Acadia!

·
Registered
92 Posts
No problem. Glad to help a baseballmom.....now if it would have said "soccermom" you might have had to look that all up yourself. Good luck.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Don, what do you have against soccer?? ???

Actually, I'm a soccer mom right now because we are in the middle of travel soccer season with two kids (the reason I need a lot of space!)

In the Spring, I'm a baseball mom and softball mom all the way!

Go Red Sox!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
92 Posts
just giving you a hard time....I am a baseball guy. Soccer is, however, a sport that encourages mediocracy. I mean who can't run around and kick a ball?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Soccer is, however, a sport that encourages mediocracy. I mean who can't run around and kick a ball?
Them's fighting words!!! I would love to see a baseball player than spends MOST of the game standing around run and kick a soccer ball for 90 minutes!!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Mama2girls+ababy! said:
Soccer is, however, a sport that encourages mediocracy. I mean who can't run around and kick a ball?
Them's fighting words!!! I would love to see a baseball player than spends MOST of the game standing around run and kick a soccer ball for 90 minutes!!!!
Amen sister!! My son spends an hour a day running up and down hills and then goes for another hour for weight training or sprint workouts. On his "free"
days he takes tennis lessons to help with his footwork. It must be working because he made varsity a freshman and was named rookie of the year!!

Also, we can pretty much tell how long the game is going to last. No time outs!!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Baseball is incredibly boring to watch on TV. Fun to watch live, though. Definitely takes more skill to play.

Soccer is just Meh. Anyone (even my old fat body) can kick a ball decently. But it does take good acting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDMK71kLdO8

Football is a man's sport. When those guys stay on the ground, you know they are hurt.

Apologies in advance for the off-topic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah.....time to get back on topic...All sports have their good points....no need for bashing although I'm assuming it's all in fun...

My son plays travel soccer and travel baseball -- he cannot pick a favorite sport because he enjoys them both for different reasons. He loves the fast pace of soccer and it actually has helped him with his baseball skills as far as speed -- he is the leadoff batter and shortstop. The kids who play soccer are also the fastest kids on the baseball team. And, I've rarely seen an overweight soccer player. If you think soccer encourages mediocrity, that may appear to be true at the recreational level but you must not have ever seen a high-level competitive soccer game....

Back on topic -- love my Sequoia but the Acadia looks pretty good, too. Does anyone else think they're overpriced though?

We went to the dealer this weekend and the kids sat in the captain's chairs and immediately noticed the DVD -- that was all it took -- they love this car! I said we're not necessarily getting the DVD -- we've lived without one for the past 13 years of having kids......we'll see.

Oh, and the dealer gave us a free pumpkin....kids thought that was pretty cool, too. I had to tell them after we left that you're not supposed to get so excited about a car or a house in front of the salesperson!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ok, that was one of the better defenses of soccer I have heard. I just have a chip on my shoulder seeing all those kids that used to be playing little league out there running around on a soccer field. It is the America and apple pie in me that would rather see them on the baseball diamond. But I am not completely close minded and that was put very well.
As to the Acadia, my kids love it too and in fact when I took a few of the classmates on a field trip even the 7 year olds said "this car is so cool" It is all personal preference but I always get the most positive comments on the brick interior. I haven't enjoyed a vehicle so much since the old Grand Wagoneers, the grand daddy of the luxury suv.( if one cares to see these vehicles like they should be and not for the rust buckets you see running around all too often, check out grandwagoneer.com ) The Sequoia was a great vehicle for what it was, but it did not even come close, in my opinion, to the sporty style of the Acadia. As to the pricing I think you will find that a similarly equipped Acadia should be about $9,000 less then the Sequoia. Resale will have to wait and see, as Toyota resale is always high, but I think the Acadia will hold up a lot better then GMC has done in the past. I have had my 08 for about four months now and it has been perfect. Look forward to seeing what you get.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Reply to my own reply..........this is soo off topic...but.....please do not try and say that because it takes more endurance to run around a soccer field that this in some way makes a soccer player more skilled of an athlete. Each sport has their own skills, but it is not reasonably disputable that THE single most difficult feat in all of sport is to hit a baseball. Baseballmom makes a good point that soccer can help (like all sports) with crossover skills such as footwork which can be used in baseball, but there is a reason that to be a successful hitter you succeed 30% of the time ....it's **** hard to hit a small ball with a round bat while the ball is traveling at 90 miles an hour.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I agree with baseball mom's assessment. It helps to cross train! My kids are little (3 and 6) and my 6 year old still skips across the soccer field. Luckily, that is the pace at her age! However, I played of a LONG time and was a referee as well and you are constantly on the move. And soccer players play dead for a moment on the field sometimes to get a freakin' break! Since the clock doesn't stop, you don't have time to rest, sitting or standing in the dugout every inning.

Just sayin'.

On Topic - we tested a Sequoia and really liked it, though having always driven sedans all the full size SUV's feel huge to me...then we saw the 3rd row had to be lifted out like a Yukon/Tahoe. No thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts