GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found some info on the engine for us gearheads.

Displacement: 3564cc

Assembly Site: St. Catharines, Ontario

Configuration: Dual Overhead Camshaft (4 valves per cylinder)

Horsepower/Applications:
252 HP @ 6300 rpm (Aura XR, G6 GTP, Malibu)
270 HP @ 6600 rpm (Outlook XE)
275 HP @ 6600 rpm (Outlook XR, Acadia)
240 @ 6000 rpm (LaCrosse)
Torque:
252 lb.-ft. @ 3200 rpm (Aura XR, G6 GTP, Malibu)
248 lb.-ft. @ 3200 rpm (Outlook XE)
250 lb.-ft. @ 3200 rpm (Outlook XR, Acadia)
225 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm (LaCrosse)

Features: Variable Valve Timing

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsID/2060925.007/country/acf/generalmotors/gm-begins-production-of-versatile-3.6l-vvt-engine

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
I wonder why it is limted to 240 hp and 6000 rpm in the LaCrosse when the others can wind them out to 6500? Maybe to keep the NVH down for Buick? Still doesn't explain why max torque is only 225 @2000 while the others are around 250 @ 3200.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
The same engine can be tuned differently to offer various pros and cons to different vehicles. The Nissan VQ35DE engine, for example, is used in a TON if Nissans/Infinitis, ranging from the 240hp Murano to the 298hp 350Z/G35. By modifying the tuning, you can get better gas milage, more torque (or torque in lower RPMs), quieter and smoother ride, etc.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Racefla,

Thx for the good summary. Just today I was reading an Outlook brochure and wondering why one model had the 270 hp and the XR had 275. So now I know :)

Now for the other puzzler: In the Outlook brochure there are two clear pics of the speedometer showing the highest numbering (not cabability) of 140 mph[/color]! Why would Saturn do that when the two sister cars use a speedo of max 120 mph?

Smooth <><

·
Registered
752 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Acadia picks up 5 more ponies due to the dual exhaust.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
The only thing I can think of on the speedo is if it shares the same one as other Saturns to save manufacturing costs...?

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Smooth said:
Now for the other puzzler: In the Outlook brochure there are two clear pics of the speedometer showing the highest numbering (not cabability) of 140 mph[/color]! Why would Saturn do that when the two sister cars use a speedo of max 120 mph?
I didn't even think to look when you originally posted this, but our Acadia speedo goes to 140 also.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well I'll be! Maybe I need new glasses ;) I'll have to look better at the one and only Acadia sitting on the lot in Santa Barbara, CA. Thanks for the correction!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I did swipe a little engine trans info.

The 3.6L V6 VVT is a sophisticated dualoverhead camshaft engine based on GM’s global V6
architecture. It was jointly developed at GM technical centers in Australia ,
Germany , Sweden and North America . The engine uses full fourcam phasing, rapid
data processing and torquebased engine management to optimize power, economy and
emissions performance.

In the Acadia, the 3.6L V6 VVT produces 275 horsepower (205 kW) and 251 lb.­ft.
of torque (340 Nm).* The fourcam phasing operation of the variable valve timing system
ensures linear delivery of torque across the rpm band, while features such as electronic
throttle control deliver crisp, immediate response and feedback. The engine uses electro
hydraulic vanetype phasers to rotate the camshafts relative to the camdrive sprockets,
allowing infinitely variable combinations over a range of 50 degrees.

Additional engine features include:
· Highflow aluminum cylinder heads
· Four valves per cylinder
· Dualstage variable intake manifold
· Lowrestriction induction system
· Straightrunner intake manifold
· Sequential dual spray port fuel injection
· Coilonplug ignition system
· Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control

The aluminum intensive 3.6L V6 VVT is designed to deliver its performance with
worldclass smoothness, quietness and durability. The camshaft chain drive incorporates
a new, smallerpitch chain, which is nearly silent during operation. Other elements,
including the cam covers, an acoustically shielded intake manifold and directmounted
accessories are designed to reduce or eliminate conventional points of noise, vibration
and harshness. A long operating life is driven by heavyduty and special components,
such as a forged steel crankshaft, polymercoated pistons and oil jets that drench the
bottom of the pistons in cooling, lubricating oil.

A new HydraMatic 6T75 electronically controlled sixspeed automatic transmission
backs the 3.6L V6 VVT. It is an advanced transmission with clutchtoclutch shift
operation for front and all wheeldrive vehicles. Clutchtoclutch operation allows for
reduced complexity and compact packaging. A wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio helps the
transmission deliver both performance and fuel economy, enabling up to 8 percent
improved performance and up to 4 percent improved fuel economy when compared with
current frontwheeldrive fourspeed automatics.

The transmission’s sixgear configuration allows for a “steep” 4.48:1 first gear, which
helps deliver exceptional launch feel, and a 0.74:1 overdrive sixth gear – the “tall”
overdrive gear lowers rpm at high speeds, reducing noise and vibration. Fifth gear is 1:1
direct drive. Shorter steps between the gears, compared with a fourspeed automatic,
enhance performance and feel, as the transmission quickly finds the best gear for the
vehicle speed and road conditions. Also, the 6T75 offers the capability of driver shift
control (DSC), which allows the driver to use tapup/ tapdown shifting to select the
desired gear for specific road conditions, such as driving up a steep hill.

Acadia ’s available allwheel drive system provides increased traction on slippery roads.
The system works by always delivering a slight amount of torque to the rear wheels.
There is no driver intervention; the system automatically decides how much torque to
apply and it automatically delivers torque to the wheels that have the best traction .

·
Registered
218 Posts
All good information.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was searching for some prior threads on the Acadia engine and I found this one. Some posts and reviews are making me think the engine is under powered for the Acadia. Or, is it just the tranny lag that is the the concern and not the engine.

So, for the lucky ones who have been driving the Acadia for some time, do you think the engine has enough power for the vehicle? Especially if you tow a trailer.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My Acadia came with the tranny re-flash complete. Very satisfied with power, pick up, etc. Haven't towed yet, but there are several threads on the forum about towing experience. As I recall, the reports are very positive.

·
Registered
58 Posts
FRW said:
I was searching for some prior threads on the Acadia engine and I found this one. Some posts and reviews are making me think the engine is under powered for the Acadia. Or, is it just the tranny lag that is the the concern and not the engine.

So, for the lucky ones who have been driving the Acadia for some time, do you think the engine has enough power for the vehicle? Especially if you tow a trailer.
Have not towed yet, but I believe overall the power is "sufficient" and on par with similar vehicles equipped w/ a V6. Keep in mind that while it has a relatively flat torque curve, the horsepower is a bit peaky - those 275 ponies all show up only very close to redline (6600 rpm), which is pretty typically of a VVT engine. It won't win you any races, but I suppose thats the price paid for very competitive fuel economy for a vehicle its size.

·
Registered
18 Posts
debates said:
Check out my location.... and the location of assembly of the V6.....interesting
Glad to see GM hasn't totally abandoned St. Kitts!

Now for the $64 question: will a little V8 fit in the engine bay?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Canuck said:
Or is there a way to get 20 more HP and torque to maintain MPG and performance and no V8?
Thats only a 7 to 8% horsepower gain. A good ram air kit and a modified exhaust system should easily do that. (that coffin they use for the center muffler can't be that efficient)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts