GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although my guage is usually pretty fixed at about half, in some steep extended mountain driving (outside temps in the 90s) this weekend it rose into the 2/3 to 3/4 area. It did it again on another day when the outside temp was 110 and there were some extended but not tremendously steep upward grades on the highway. There were no signs of over heating and no messages from the info center so I assume it was within normal. Seeing as there is no red zone its hard to tell whats up. Anyone else had it raise above the normal half way point during "heavy use"? Even though I have the tow package (and wasn't towing, but was full with family stuff) I'm having a hard time believeing this thing could tow much of anything in hot weather.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The owner's manual is rather cryptic in that it does say that it may rise above "normal" in certain conditions but never says exactly what position or temperature indicates actual overheat. It does also say that there are several levels of overheat warning that will tell you to either stop and idle or turn it off and there is also an emergency mode where it will shut a few cylinders off but it never really discusses the detail. On the plus side, on Wednesday I was driving some slight to moderately sloped freeway sections in the California high desert where the outside indicator rose as high as 117 with no excess rise of the temp guage. It seems to be those extended mountain climbs that do it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think my gauge is not performing correctly as it rises to 210 (midway) right after the car starts and just stops. Even driving in the AZ summer heat or on trips up hills, it always stays at the same temp.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I did the Mojave desert going to the high sierras in Aug (outside temp 110-114), and temp gauge stayed right at the halfway point. Going up Sherwin grade (5000 ft to 7800 ft in about 20 minutes) with air conditioner running and doing 65 (although by then temp outside was probably down to mid 90's). gauge didn't budge. I think the car just really runs well. I do have the trailer package though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Trailer package should not make a difference. It adds a transmission cooler, but does not change the engine cooling system.

·
Registered
395 Posts
jcflorida said:
Trailer package should not make a difference. It adds a transmission cooler, but does not change the engine cooling system.
Actually I don't believe that is true. The trailer package adds a "heavy duty cooling system". Since the transmission cooler is usually integral with or attached to the radiator, it would make sense that the radiator is oversized to get rid of the excess heat when necessary.

For what it's worth, I have the trailer package and have never seen over 210F, even on near 100 degree days, though The only "hills" around here are highway overpasses.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems to be the grades and lack of airflow that make the difference. The several times that mine rose above 210, I was climbing steeply and slowly, mostly 2nd gear with some first and a bit of 3rd. I've run through relatively level (some average grades) ground at 117 degrees heat with no movement above 210 with the same vehicle. FWIW it does have the tow package.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I did some fairly slow, rugged mountain road climbing on our vacation, and saw the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge achieved a few times... but mostly in 1st or 2nd going very very slow uphill. Always came back down once some airflow started happening.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Toaster, there seems to be a pattern emerging. What you describe is exactly what mine did a couple of times in high altitude camping trips this summer. apparently from yours and other reports, this is a pretty typical phenomenon and has not resulted in overheats on the road. That is what I was looking to find out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had several cases of the temperature gauge going over the 210 mark. Stop and go traffic, in hot weather towing a trailer and long up hill driving in hot weather with and without the trailer will make the gauge go over 210. I think that if the air conditioner is off, 90% of the issue will go away.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I live in central kansas and with stop and go driving with the temps around 100 or higher mine has never gone above the 210 mark.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I only have 1800 miles, but have done some city stop and go driving and some road trips as well. I have never been in the mountains and have not trailered anything. Once warmed up, mine has locked onto 210 and held steady there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
GAR said:
I only have 1800 miles, but have done some city stop and go driving and some road trips as well. I have never been in the mountains and have not trailered anything. Once warmed up, mine has locked onto 210 and held steady there.
:ditto: with over 6000 miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Once at normal operating temperature, mine hasn't fluctuated a degree in 8 months of ownership (7200+ miles).

Jim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts