GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When a turn signal on, the headlamp (daytime running lamps) below the blinking signal goes off. This looks strange. My past vehicles with daytime lamps didn't do this. Is this normal for everyone else?

Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is what some car manufacturers are doing now. I live in Canada, a country where every vehicle sold has to have DRLs at standard equipment. They really do help oncoming cars be seen, sometimes a kilometre or more away, which is helpful on long rolling roads. The problem with DRLs, especially if the high/low beams are used, is that the turn signals are hard to see from a distance because the DRLs produce light at a brightness that "masks" the turn signals appearance. Companies such as Chrysler, and now GM have come up with systems that shuts off the corresponding lamp when the turn signals are in use, maximizing the visibility of the signals from afar.

HTH :thumb:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there a way to turn DRL's off on the Acadia while driving or are they always on?
Are they on while the engine is running but the car is in park?

Thanks in advance.

gg

·
Registered
306 Posts
Yes,
After the car is running, turn the headlight know counter clockwise to "OFF". That will turn off the DRLs until you either turn on "AUTO" again or until you turn off the ignition and restart the car.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
...except in Canada 002; there's no way to defeat them up here -- which is good, I agree with jonv112 -- even applying the parking brake won't kill them, which is going to be a problem at Guelph's Mustang Drive-in this coming summer...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Gills said:
...except in Canada 002; there's no way to defeat them up here -- which is good, I agree with jonv112 -- even applying the parking brake won't kill them, which is going to be a problem at Guelph's Mustang Drive-in this coming summer...
I would bet that even in Canada that the DLRs will not work if the fuse is removed!

Look at the fuse block photo in the Owners Manual (page 491)--there is DRL and DRL2 fuses on the fuse panel under the glove box.

And there are also 2 DLR relays on the opposide side of the fuse panel--these would also prevent operation if they were removed.

As racefla and Kelly might say: Disclaimer[/color]: yada, yada, yada . . .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks 002 -- have to keep that in mind!

The manual shows asterisks after DRL & DRL 2, but there's no actual footnote! Probably something about "don't remove these if you're in Canada"...

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
Personally, I'm glad the Acadia has DLRs. I firmly believe they make a vehicle safer. I wished for years that my MDX had them.

Kelly

·
Registered
115 Posts
I wonder if James Dean might still be with us (or would have died another way, at a later date...) if his Porsche had daytime running lights so the farmer could have seen him coming and not pulled out in front of him...

Okay, I've hijacked this thread; sorry yeazel!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgive you! My question was answered - the rest is gravy!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
kjf said:
Personally, I'm glad the Acadia has DLRs. I firmly believe they make a vehicle safer. I wished for years that my MDX had them.

Kelly
Kelly,

You could have turned on your headlights on the Acura . . .

I turn on my headlights on the two-lane roads out of the major metro areas--want to make sure others who might pass or pull out can see me. Never had any close calls when I did that--did have a couple when I didn't.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
002 said:
kjf said:

Kelly
You could have turned on your headlights on the Acura . . .
I regularly drove with the headlights on.

Kelly

·
Registered
306 Posts
I figured you did--glad you lived up to my expectations!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I tested my directional signals with the daytime running light on - they did not turn off when the directional was on. I had a GMC Jimmy back in 1999 and that had the daytime running lights that turned off automatically.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did notice this today when I had my left turn signal on.... the left DRL turned off. Saw the reflection on the back of a van in front of me. At first I thought my left DRL was out. As soon as the blinker stopped, the DRL came back on. I have never seen this before on any vehicle. Interesting concept. Who thinks of these things?

·
Registered
542 Posts
You all are sure observant. I probably never would have noticed that one. Those guys at GM have thought of everything and then some! Id show you MR Banana but I lost mine :drunk:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Must be a GMC thing... I had a 99 Sonoma that did the same thing, even though the S10s did not.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
Looked today and the DRL did not turn off when the turn signal was on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts