GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Just took delivery of my 08 Acadia and I actually was waiting for the car to be preped so I had a chance to chat with the tech that preps most all of them for my dealer. I told him I had heard that a lot of people have had trouble with the storage bin door not always opening. This guy was pretty sharp and knew all about it and told me what the fix is for this problem. The tech told me he actually replaced about 25 of these doors and the replacement doors stuck too and didnt open properly either so his curious mind went to work on trying to discover the problem and he found it. He said that the plastic stricker that latches the door closed is a few thousands of an inch too big causing the stricker not to release properly when the button is pressed so the door sticks shut. The remedy is to take a flat file and just file the very edge of the plastic stricker just a little and the problem is instantly fixed. He said he turned in at least 3 service reports to the engineers at GM but they just wont issue a service bulletin on it so most dealers just keep ordering replacement doors and the customer keeps coming back with the same problem. The tech said not all of the doors do this and the cause is probably just the way some of the strickers come out of the plasitc mold just a tiny bit too long.
Mike

·
Registered
752 Posts
Cool, thank you :cheers:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Good post, I'll call it back up when mine causes me trouble.

Now if we can just figure out possible uses for it. I'm assuming you're talking about the one on top of the dash, under the windshield, open to the sun's heat. It's also an odd shape inside.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Thank you mikesacadia!!! This is exactly the type of thing that this forum was made for. Great post!!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
gurufly said:
Now if we can just figure out possible uses for it. I'm assuming you're talking about the one on top of the dash, under the windshield, open to the sun's heat. It's also an odd shape inside.
EZPass and sunglasses are about it.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I use it for napkins.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The dash top compartment lid on my Enclave was sticking last year. I tried to file the striker and that did not work. I think it was rubbing on one of the edges. The dealer ended up replacing it. It is working fine for over one year now.

MRBUICK

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Mine stuck from day one. I had them replace it and it's been perfect ever since. I only use it to store my I-Pass, but I do on occasion have to open it and it opens just fine.

In fact, I just opened it the other day to pin the raccoon's tail so that he would hang over the chrome trim on the vents so that the trim would quit blinding my son while he was driving. (The raccoon is a Beanie Baby that I got to pick out when I bought my Acadia. He sits on the dashboard above the vent and comes in handy for blocking glare. LOL)

·
Registered
112 Posts
TO ALL:

I had same problem, the door/lid doesn't want to open. I thought what a peace of ....... Then I got it why it happened. If there's anything you're putting there should be a neat and in order, otherwise it will prevent to open.
For example: E-Z pass, if it lays against locking mechanism, you will close, but have not be able to open.
The credit card is good tool for opening.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
vad1819 said:
TO ALL:

I had same problem, the door/lid doesn't want to open. I thought what a peace of ....... Then I got it why it happened. If there's anything you're putting there should be a neat and in order, otherwise it will prevent to open.
For example: E-Z pass, if it lays against locking mechanism, you will close, but have not be able to open.
The credit card is good tool for opening.
I have run into that issue once in the past, where my IPASS was keeping it from opening, but that wasn't the issue I was experiencing with it when it was completely empty and I could not get it to open by depressing the button. I would have to pry on it with something while pressing the button for it to open. Something was definitely wrong with the latch. The replacement compartment does not have this problem though. I've had the replacement for well over a year now.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I had one of them replaced after one month of ownership, it worked for a while and then then the new one got stuck (I really did not open it that often) but my EZ Pass got stuck inside and I had to loan it to my wife so I pryed it open with a very small screwdriver, got my EZ Pass out and now it is working again, I test every so often and have not been able to get it to stick again.

Put my EZ pass back in the windshield, do not want it stuck in there again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey thanks for the fix, I will add this to my weekend to-do list as this is my EZ-Pass bin primarily as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Took ours in today to get this fixed (among other things) and was told that the part is on national backorder.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mine sticks too and I simply gave up trying to fix it after several attempts. I caulk it up to all the other little pet peeves I have with the Acadia. Let's face it, it is a relatively new model line and this type of stuff is unfortunately going to come up, etc. Not saying I like it but it just is? :eek:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
mike...thanks for your fix for a person in the know! GM would rather spend $200.00 for replacement fix which is probable. Something so simple blows engineerings minds.....Why didn't I think of that???

Reactions: bonk1313

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Also one more thing, try depressing the button a very little amount when you press it.
Litterally just depress about 1 mm. My wife and my brother had trouble getting it to open,
but I am able to get it open every attempt. I'll try filing soon also.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My dash storage bin sticks, too. So far, in almost 3 months of ownership, it's the only problem I've had w/ my Acadia.
It's really a great vehicle and I'm very pleased w/ it sofar.... :cheers:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anybody in Illinois store their I-Pass in this bin? Does it work when driving through open tolling? I hate the windshield stickers... and if this is an option, that would be great.

Thanks...

·
Registered
487 Posts
big10purdue said:
Does anybody in Illinois store their I-Pass in this bin? Does it work when driving through open tolling? I hate the windshield stickers... and if this is an option, that would be great.

Thanks...
We use express toll in Colorado, I'm sure they're the same and ours works from inside the dash bin. Heck ours even worked from the glove box.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
big10purdue said:

Thanks...
As quoted from an earlier post:

I only use it to store my I-Pass, but I do on occasion have to open it and it opens just fine.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts