GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this thread under a different category before I found the Towing category - sorry ! I've got a 2007 Acadia with the factory towing package , but I've never towed anything with it. Now I am going to borrow a pop up camper and after reading some threads I've got the feeling that the rear wiring outlet might not be activated even though I've got the factory tow package? Is this true? The camper has a flat 4 wire so I had to buy a 7 pin to flat 4 converter and I want to make sure I can just plug this thing in and it will work before I drive out to pick up the camper and find out the lights don't work. Any info is appreciated !! thank you. ???

·
Registered
145 Posts
I believe it will work.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Re: does wiring automatically work if I have factory towing package? 2007 Acadi

If you look around you will see reference to "dinghy" towing talk about the 7 pin not working it is related to the fuse block not being hooked up. I have taken my Acadia to have the reverse pin of the 7pin hooked up. If your reverse pin isn't working and your trailer has a brake system it will not release the brake when you try to back up. Search dinghy towing you will see the TSB information.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you are using the 7 pin to flat 4 converter the reverse pin should not be an issue.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
reynola said:
I posted this thread under a different category before I found the Towing category - sorry !
No problem & thanks for realizing it & posting in the right place! :thumb: I deleted the other post.

·
Registered
104 Posts

If you're borrowing the trailer, just go by a few days early and connect it and see if the lights work. I would think with the tow package, they should work. As mentioned above, the reverse wire is used to disconnect surge brakes when backing up and if you're only using 4 wires, then that will not come into play. Another way is use a voltmeter to check for voltage when you have the tail lights or turn signals on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Here's an update: When I plugged in the camper, the wiring worked just fine. The $10 '7 pin to Flat 4 converter' from Auto Zone worked fine too. Guess the rear wiring outlet came 'live' from the factory as part of the Trailering Package. thanks for anyone who responded.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts