GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of GM's websites on the Acadia, it suggests that one not overfill the gas tank. However, they do not inform us of the repercussion if your tank is a little beyond full. Any ideas????

Here's the link ...
http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/owners/gmc/motion/features/october-article01

[Point#7. Don't top off gas and tighten the cap. When buying gas, stop when the pump shuts off automatically. And remember to properly tighten the gas cap after every fill-up.]

·
Registered
423 Posts
it has to do with the evap system. the canister of old would fill up and not work the way it was supposed to with fumes. im sure they came up with a better system, just not sure what it is or care. but if they didnt, overfilling will eventually cause an engine light and a costly repair since techs seem to waste a lot of money finding out the problem. i was one of them.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
They must have something in place to keep this from being a problem. With my 1997 Grand Prix, my 2001 Montana, and now my 2008 Acadia, I have filled past full. Not always, but right before our trip to Ohio from MD, I would fill the tank and keep topping it off until the gas completely filled the neck and would accept no more. This ensures a no stop 1 tank trip and I have never had any problems. I wonder now if I have just been lucky.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Various things could happen, but usually do not. The primary concern is escaping fumes and fuel spills, i.e. environmental concerns. The evaporator canister is part of that and is a legally mandated thing, part of the Clean Air stuff. That's probably why the written caution is there - they manufacturer needs to assure the car continues to meet EPA regs and they are legally obligated to do so for as long as 8/80,000 on some emissions control components.

There is also a vent tube inside the filler tube and too much full in the tube can result in fuel going down the vent, which may or may not cause problems later. Sometimes it depends on exactly how the vent and filler tube lines are routed - a low spot in the vent will fill with fuel and stay fill, later making it hard to re-fill the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts