GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This screenshot is from the 2008 Cadillac CTS. Notice how it's showing actual buildings on the nav screen. I haven't taken mine downtown yet...actually I've only driven it about 3 miles...but does the latest navigation DVD have this feature for the Acadia?

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow! That is really neat. Looks like the nav screen goes up and down as well, to conceal when not in use. I can dare to dream, I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
The Nav screens in Infiniti G35s went up and down like that since 2003. In fact, the newest version of the nav (2007+ models) moved away from this feature to a fixed screen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Infiniti NAV screen's also show the buildings...zoo's...fountains...etc etc etc...in the real world...it's not that big of a deal. Looks great...but to me the GPS is all about accuracy and getting me to where I'm going on the fastest route.

The 3D view that Infiniti pioneered (they call it Bird's eye view) to me is the best in the biz. It really does give you some strong depth perception on the GPS screen.

Infiniti (and some other manufacturers this year) have gone to "hard drive" GPS systems...much faster calculations are provided by this technology.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree about the buildings. The graphics remind me of video games of the mid-late 1980s. However, my curiousity was getting the best of me on this one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
RedRocker said:
Infiniti (and some other manufacturers this year) have gone to "hard drive" GPS systems...much faster calculations are provided by this technology.
The new CTS has a hard drive as well. In fact, you can load music or pause XM radio and replay a song you just heard on XM. It records a buffer like Tivo. Hopefully you will be able to download nav updates from the internet and load them using a disk you burn or a thumb drive.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The buildings certainly do help with points of interest and can help with navigating around things...they are especially helpful when you have been driving 450 miles from Omaha Nebraska and you see them start to pop up on the "horizon" in the GPS system...at about 30 miles out they start to appear and you know you are getting close to home!!!!! :blob:

·
Registered
812 Posts
with a 40 grand car like the Acadia thats the kind of navigation it should have... Foreign cars are relying more on hard drive as it offer faster response compared to DVD based system and setting them up high as to offer less ditraction from the drivers point of view. sadly only Cadillac among GM brands are up to date with the current trends....

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
SioXie said:
with a 40 grand car like the Acadia thats the kind of navigation it should have... Foreign cars are relying more on hard drive as it offer faster response compared to DVD based system and setting them up high as to offer less ditraction from the drivers point of view. sadly only Cadillac among GM brands are up to date with the current trends....
I don't mean to bust chops but I have to.

Almost every post you make in response to someones wish of an option or questioning an option is......"with a 40 grand car like the Acadia thats the kind of (fill in the option) it should have".

If you are so concerned with the lack of value why do you continue to look at the car? Just perplexes me that you have such disdain for GM b/c you think they rushed the Acadia out and won't fix minor issues but you continue to look at it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
NY_Joe said:
SioXie said:

Almost every post you make in response to someones wish of an option or questioning an option is......"with a 40 grand car like the Acadia thats the kind of (fill in the option) it should have".

If you are so concerned with the lack of value why do you continue to look at the car? Just perplexes me that you have such disdain for GM b/c you think they rushed the Acadia out and won't fix minor issues but you continue to look at it.
im sorry but thats is such a low response! i guy has to shop around before making a decision. maybe you got me wrong in the first place or just dont have a clue what im trying to say, am i the only one bitching here or are there lots of owner and owners to be that have the same predicaments as i am, how many post of do you think i have to let you know so that you can understand what drivers like me that are jumping from foreign brands and are used with the level of refinement and quality of services from the latter thats it hard for us making the jump.... i suggest you read the post from the beggining rather than taking me personally!!!! you should thank people in this forum that are voicing their oppinions regarding the vehicle for who knows GM might be listening.....

and dont question my enthusiasm about the vehicle just because im posting negative as you see it.... ;D

·
Premium Member
894 Posts
SioXie said:
NY_Joe said:
SioXie said:
with a 40 grand car like the Acadia thats the kind of navigation it should have... Foreign cars are relying more on hard drive as it offer faster response compared to DVD based system and setting them up high as to offer  less ditraction from the drivers point of view. sadly only Cadillac among GM brands are up to date with the current trends....

If you are so concerned with the lack of value why do you continue to look at the car?  Just perplexes me that you have such disdain for GM b/c you think they rushed the Acadia out and won't fix minor issues but you continue to look at it. 
im sorry but thats is such a low response! i guy has to shop around before making a decision. maybe you got me wrong in the first place or just dont have a clue what im trying to say, am i the only one bitching here or are there lots of owner and owners to be that have the same predicaments as i am, how many post of do you think i have to let you know so that you can understand what drivers like me that are jumping from foreign brands and are used with the level of refinement and quality of services from the latter thats it hard for us making the jump.... i suggest you read the post from the beggining rather than taking me personally!!!!  you should thank people in this forum that  are voicing their oppinions regarding the vehicle for who knows GM might be listening.....

and dont question my enthusiasm about the vehicle just because im posting negative as you see it....  ;D 
??? ???  I understood about 7 words of that statement.  ??? ???

If I get the gist of what you are saying....you have to shop around.  You are coming from a foreign brand and expect more from American if you are going to pay $40k and you think by stating this GM will listen and change their level of options.  To finih it off, you think I am looking at your post as negative b/c you post certain things.  OR you think I don't understand you in general.

First let me address "posting negative as you see it".....Sorry to burst your bubble, but the majority of things you post related to other owners issues are negative.  I am not the only person in the forum that thinks this.  I have had to delete posts in threads b/c a comment you make leads to an arguement.  I will not censor anyhting anyone says but I refuse to let senseless negative comments that are based on nothing but 3rd hand knowledge ruin a good thread or discussion.

As for coming from a foreign brand.....I really don't know what you expect to find.  Coming from a Mitsu Lancer EVO and an IS300, although nicely equipped I'm sure, were not top of the product scale vehicles that they ae ultra refined.  Nor is the Acadia.  HOwever, I think you will find the Acadia far more refined than either car you list and equally as refined as any new foreign car in the same price range.  Also, option and $$$ wise, it is not any better or worse than the competition.

As for talking to you personally and reading from the beginning.... I did read it.  Maybe you shoudl re-read it...slowly.  Although other members are talking about it, they are just passing comments.  You go as far to say a 40k vehicle should have this sadl only Caddy is the only GM brand up to date with current trends. Fine, you are entitled to say that and I won;t stop you.  I addressed you personally b/c it was a SPECIFIC question for you.  I wanted to know why you posted yet another negative aspect of the car in your opinion and continue to look at it??  That is all I was asking.

Take it how you may, but it was not a personal attack or a "low" response as you would call it.

·
Registered
812 Posts
NY_JOE i notice your deletions and understand it as well, as a mod you have every right to do so and im not holding any grudge, but me starting an argument is not my style! like i said before im voicing out my oppinion the way i see it based on my experiences and from what i read on the forum as well, others may understand it and others may not and i have no problem with that.

i would have been long gone in this forum if im not interested on the Acadia..... and if you think im one sided in blasting GM in general you should check my post regarding Cadillacs :thumb: - a Gm division i respect the most. i hope we start talking about cars more in every ASPECT be it positive or negative rather than stuff like this.... :sosad:

·
Registered
45 Posts
SioXie said:
i hope we start talking about cars more in every ASPECT be it positive or negative rather than stuff like this.... :sosad:
So do I SioXie but I have to agree that you rarely have positive things to say about the Acadia even though 99% of this forum IS actually positive about the vehicle. Your comparisons are way off base and border on the ridiculos. Neither of the 2 cars you have are as refined as my loaded SLT2. And that is MY perspective.

·
Registered
51 Posts
SioXie - I see your point but agree with NY_Joe. I see the forum as a way to talk to your neighbor about their car which happens to be the same. I am overwhelmed with the knowledge from this site and love reading everyones responses (problems, likes, suggestions, etc.). My mom, and yours too I'm sure, taught us not to say anything if we didn't have something nice to say. Though this forum is designed to create conversation - if someone is just going to be negative - I hope they talk to themself. My wife thinks I'm crazy as much as I'm on this site lately but I enjoy the pictures, tech issues, price points and everything else it offers.

The craziness between import cars and domestics has to stop. They kill us in profit because we don't have to pay enormous retiree pensions and health care costs (I heard GM pays prescription subsidies in every zip code in the US) are product is just as good if not better. I even secretly believe they caused the war in the desert so we can have an oil crisis, freak out with our popular V-8s and start depending on fuel-sipping, econoboxes that I wouldn't put my family in. Yes, they have good vehicles, yes, we have good vehicles. Where you want your money is your business but I'd put my money in SUVs on the home turf.

Just my opinion, you are right, we are all entitled to one. But, as the saying goes - opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some time ago I pegged SioXie as a flame-baiter. He's since, cleaned up his irritating txt-msg style of writing, but not his command of the English language.

I try not to read his posts, but what I have read hasn't changed my opinion that he could be a 15 yr-old without a hope of buying a $40K car...

·
Registered
812 Posts
JoeVegas said:
SioXie said:
i hope we start talking about cars more in every ASPECT be it positive or negative rather than stuff like this.... :sosad:
So do I SioXie but I have to agree that you rarely have positive things to say about the Acadia even though 99% of this forum IS actually positive about the vehicle. Your comparisons are way off base and border on the ridiculos. Neither of the 2 cars you have are as refined as my loaded SLT2. And that is MY perspective.
JoeVegas how can i say any more positive things about the Acadia when every good things have been said about it a hundred times in this forum, i will only be repeating what others said, im only interested on the issues facing it and some improvements in its weakness... i think i made that clear! and why would i compare my car to your Acadia, im not that stupid! what were talking here is about Nav system differences not a whole comparison between a car and a CUV, and the last time i check your SLT2 doesnt have it! i think that goes straight to the point!!! :mad:

·
Registered
812 Posts
cegledi said:
SioXie - I see your point but agree with NY_Joe. I see the forum as a way to talk to your neighbor about their car which happens to be the same. I am overwhelmed with the knowledge from this site and love reading everyones responses (problems, likes, suggestions, etc.). My mom, and yours too I'm sure, taught us not to say anything if we didn't have something nice to say. Though this forum is designed to create conversation - if someone is just going to be negative - I hope they talk to themself. My wife thinks I'm crazy as much as I'm on this site lately but I enjoy the pictures, tech issues, price points and everything else it offers.

The craziness between import cars and domestics has to stop. They kill us in profit because we don't have to pay enormous retiree pensions and health care costs (I heard GM pays prescription subsidies in every zip code in the US) are product is just as good if not better. I even secretly believe they caused the war in the desert so we can have an oil crisis, freak out with our popular V-8s and start depending on fuel-sipping, econoboxes that I wouldn't put my family in. Yes, they have good vehicles, yes, we have good vehicles. Where you want your money is your business but I'd put my money in SUVs on the home turf.

Just my opinion, you are right, we are all entitled to one. But, as the saying goes - opinions are like ***holes, everyone has one.
point well taken :), how i wish we could all have open minded oppinions like yours in this forums, exploring possibilities rather than staying on a one track mindset!!!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Phazer_II said:
Some time ago I pegged SioXie as a flame-baiter. He's since, cleaned up his irritating txt-msg style of writing, but not his command of the English language.

I try not to read his posts, but what I have read hasn't changed my opinion that he could be a 15 yr-old without a hope of buying a $40K car...
now this is what i call a feebleminded insignificant response and totally uncalled for!!!! :mad: , or like NY_joe state "adding fuel to the fire...."

·
Registered
164 Posts
Back to the question...

Yes, the NAV (my Outlook) does display key buildings. It's not as comprehensive as the 3-D option in Google Earth, but it shows enough.

Attached are night shots from Seattle.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts