GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that Apple may be adding a car connect feature to the iPhone. This will allow the phone to act as a key fob.
According to what I read, the existing key fob needs to have NFC communication to the car.

just as a wild question, does the 2017 Acadia use this type connection?

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
NFC (Near field communication) - it's always nice to define an acronym the first time it's used in a discussion

The car companies will likely have to design a feature for their cars to accommodate the iPhone. Right now, the only thing like that is the fob holder where you place the key fob for programming, or when the car doesn't recognize it when the fob is in your pocket.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NFC (Near field communication) - it's always nice to define an acronym the first time it's used in a discussion

The car companies will likely have to design a feature for their cars to accommodate the iPhone. Right now, the only thing like that is the fob holder where you place the key fob for programming, or when the car doesn't recognize it when the fob is in your pocket.
Thanks for the quick response. From what I understand about NFC, it is a wireless communication similar to the way the existing key fob works. As long as the key fob uses NFC, it should work.The question is what wireless protocols does the FOB use?

So in theory there would not need to be any “dock” added If NFC was already there.

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
You already have phone apps available to do things to the vehicle like lock/unlock, remote start, etc. through OnStar (GM) and other companies' comm products. What else would you want to do to the vehicle with your phone? The only other things left are liftgate functions and panic alarms. Oh, maybe you want to drive the car without being in it like that new 'auto park' feature Hyundai (or whomever) is advertising. Yippee! That would be really cool!!! 😕

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
You already have phone apps available to do things to the vehicle like lock/unlock, remote start, etc. through OnStar (GM) and other companies' comm products. What else would you want to do to the vehicle with your phone? The only other things left are liftgate functions and panic alarms. Oh, maybe you want to drive the car without being in it like that new 'auto park' feature Hyundai (or whomever) is advertising. Yippee! That would be really cool!!! 😕
I was wondering the same thing. My fob already does everything I need it to do. Don't need the same functions on my phone.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The more wireless "invisible" control they put into our vehicles . . . . the more chance of hacking, theft or just plain something else that can go wrong. . . . 🌞

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The intent of this feature is to allow the iPhone to REPLACE the key fob. When implemented on the phone, the phone can be left in your pocket or purse and the car can be locked, unlocked, started etc just like the existing fob.. In fact the key fob can be left home and the phone will do it all.

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
Another WGAF moment! 🤣 🤣 🤣 Reaction would be the same if Google announced its introduction for Android. Home is where the phone is.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It's all good. . . turn it all over to the cell phones, web network , etc.
Then, when "Skynet" takes over the world. . .. 🤗

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
The intent of this feature is to allow the iPhone to REPLACE the key fob. When implemented on the phone, the phone can be left in your pocket or purse and the car can be locked, unlocked, started etc just like the existing fob.. In fact the key fob can be left home and the phone will do it all.
What happens when your cell phone battery drains....which is far more apt to happen than with the key fob.

·
Super Moderator
19,085 Posts
What happens when your cell phone battery drains....which is far more apt to happen than with the key fob.
+1 to that! Can see it now - "My car key died while I was talking to my broker at lunchtime." Wouldn't want such a multi-purpose key fob you'd have to charge once or twice a week.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Or loose the phone. . . hacker gets it and then has the phone and Acadia.
Or. . . the phone gets "Cloned" like on NCIS from some nefarious character.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts