GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, the dealer gets paid no matter what, right?
so, would it make a difference to them if you pay cash or finance?
thanks, all!
great site. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
zlwheeler said:
I mean, they dealer gets paid no matter what, right?
thanks, all!
Great question. It depends a little bit.

I know that one time I went in with a check to pay cash. I asked honestly if the dealer got any kickbacks from the loan companies, and they said yes. So I bargained and got an additional $150 off the total deal and took their financing. Then I paid the loan off the next month. Be careful though, because there can be costs associated with some loans and there can also be penalties if paid off before a certain time.

Generally I find it better to just pay cash, but I have never experienced that they will give a better deal because of getting cash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...
I am getting tired of looking for a carbon slt II with the options I want...
the only thing I don't need is nav.
was hoping to get it under $40k.

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Order one if you can't find it on a dealer's lot somewhere. If you can wait 6-8 weeks you get the exact options you want.

·
Registered
60 Posts
zlwheeler said:
I mean, the dealer gets paid no matter what, right?
thanks, all!
I have been told (Wife works for a Large dealler network here in Oklahoma) the dealer wants you to use thier finance dept. They broker the loans and make money from you there also. Could be different elsewhere.

Like GAR said, carefull of Early pay-off penalties!

·
Registered
217 Posts
GAR said:
Generally I find it better to just pay cash, but I have never experienced that they will give a better deal because of getting cash.
:ditto:
My thoughts also.

·
Registered
659 Posts
They definitely get commision on loans, whether it is GMAC or an outside party. That's one of the reasons they often ask up front if you need financing. If paying by cash, it is best to skirt that question with something like "I haven't decided yet how much to finance" until after the price is negotiated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
All depends on the rates and term.

If you're walking in there with a cheque drawn on your own back account without dipping into overdraft, I have found that the dealers are willing to negotiate price more, simply because you're not a "potential customer until they walk into the finance office" that they have to play all the tricks with, but someone standing there with a wad of cash saying, "want to get rid of this vehicle from your inventory right now? Don't piss me off and make me go elsewhere". Your attitude makes a huge impact on how the sale will go, and if you constantly remind yourself that;

1. you are in charge of the deal at all times. Not happy? Leave.
2. if the vehicle is on the lot, been on the lot for a few days / week or more, then do they want to sell it or not?
3. do you have the option of going elsewhere?

you'll do alright. I have spent time negotiating at one dealer, only to get ticked off at being misled / sales tactics / etc, only to go to another dealer and get the same vehicle I was looking at from the original place dealer-traded to the second place I went.

If you're paying "cash" but really using a bank draft or loan, are you getting a better rate than what the dealer financing can offer? Since most banks do car loans on prime + a point or two, you could often be much higher than you'd be with any financing offers or deals. Especially since GM seems to be a 0% / 1.9% / 2.9% blowout warehouse.

Since I got 3.5% on my Acadia through GMAC, I didn't do a bank loan or draft simply because they couldn't match it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts