·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what pads do you use on it?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lake County pads is all I use....I have a whole arsenal of pads from them.....

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I'm terrified about the prospect of buying and starting out on a porter cable. I know how awesome a job these things can do on a finish when in the hands of a professional, but a professional I am not! I've read quite a few horror stories about people ruining their paint jobs with these. What kind of learning curve is involved in getting good enough with a portal cable not to destroy my car? I don't exactly want to practice on the Acadia (or my Infiniti, for that matter ;))

·
Registered
360 Posts
Destroying their car with a PC? That is practically impossible....Pros use orbital buffers and the PC is a random orb. The PC has no where near the power that say a Dewalt buffer has and that can chew your paint up BAD....

Adam

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Right, but don't you have to be very careful and get a feel for how much pressure to apply, as well as insuring it's perfectly flat on the panel? Then there's the issue of knowing which pads to use, etc. Which car did you start off polishing and how long did it take before you felt confortable using the polisher?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The only time I could see a PC messing up paint is by choosing the wrong pad....

I started off using the PC on my 1969 Vette...A little nervous? Yes, but I had seen demos and had researched alot before I took that plunge...

The only pressure you apply is the weight of the PC...you do not push on it at all...It has a handle on the side that allows you to move it around.....

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
PC will not burn through the paint. Not enough power and it is a random orbital so it doesn;t stay in one spot grinding away.

Using the wrong type pad may be a different story.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I found this video-tutorial on using a PC to remove light swirls. Looks simple enough, maybe Ill take the plunge on one of these. For Zaino users, what do you use for the "polishing pad conditioner"?

HTML:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NURjFvmDpEc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NURjFvmDpEc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
From most accounts, using a PC cuts the wax time down by more than half. With practice, by a factor of 4! Adam, on that video, he mentioned a "pad conditioner", like something you put on the pad before you get started - is this is necessary step and if so, what do you use?

·
Registered
523 Posts
I think the demo was for a car that had quite a bit of paint damage. You wouldn't have to use all the products every time and you wouldn't have to move that slowly on newer undamaged paint.

·
Registered
794 Posts
slightly changing the subject. There is a ton more chrome on this car than the one I had before. What do you use to protect it and make it (and keep it) all shinny?

·
Registered
523 Posts
You can use wax to protect it, but if you live somewhere, where they put down Mag-Chloride in the winter like I do I'm not sure what protects the chrome. I have chromed stainless step bars on my truck and they still have discolored spots on them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
OK, guys, I'm taking your word for all this. My wife said if we bought the Carbon Metallic I had to promise to keep it clean for her. Reading this post led to the autogeek and Zaino websites and I ended up ordering the PC 7424 kit with the Lake Country pads, and a bunch of stuff from Zaino. I haven't been this excited about having a shiny vehicle since I got rid of the Corvettes.

Should I wait a certain period before waxing my new Acadia?

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Nah, wax it up! Let me know how that PC works out for you. I'm timid but just about ready to pull the trigger myself.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Griots garage selsnice packages of the PC.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Nice, I'll check them out... Do they have a chart or guide on which pads to get?

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
admin said:
Nice, I'll check them out... Do they have a chart or guide on which pads to get?
www.adamspolishes.com is another great site with whole packages of pads, buffer, towels, etc.

They don;t have a chart with pads at griots.

·
Registered
9 Posts
JUST BOUGHT A PC FOR MY ACADIA (10 MORE DAYS TILL DELIVERY) I BOUGHT THE PC AND DETAILING KIT FROM ADAMS POLISHES. I DETAILED MY 2004 VOLVO S60R AND IT LOOKS TERRIFIC NOT VERY DIFFICULT TO DO. ALSO DID THE HOOD ON MY DAUGHTERS 2002 TAURUS. TOOK OUT SWIRLS AND MADE THE FINISH LOOK LIKE NEW. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND ADAMSPOLISHES.COM WEB SITE BECAUSE THEY DO A VIDEO OF ALL PHASES OF DETAILING.PS THERE POLISHES AND WAX COMES OFF EASILY WITH NO WHITE RESIDUE

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have had a PC for a few years now and have been using it with Griot's Garage pads and products with pretty amazing results (cosmos metallic black BMW has been a constant battle to keep brilliant). Griot's also has wax removal bonnets which save a ton of time (likely an understatement as I am now the owner of a carbon black Acadia)!

:thumb:

cmores

1 - 20 of 35 Posts