GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was attracted to the Acadia because of the option of 8 seats, but after looking at it I'm not sure. We want an SLT-2 but all they had in 8 passenger was cloth, and we didn't think it was very comfortable. But we'd love to have that eight seat so each of our kids can have a friend, and if it's mostly kids sitting back there, I guess it doesn't really matter how comfortable it is. Any opinions?

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
We got the 8-passanger seating for exactly the same reason, so each of our three kids could take a friend. It is really working out for us. An added bonus is that all three can sit in the middle seat (for around town trips )if we do not have extra kids in the car (it does happen occasionally - ha ha). It is really great for us to have this flexibility. I must say the 10 and under set has not complained about comfort at all.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Most of the 7 Vs 8 discussion I've read has leaned toward the captain's chairs. I've gone the other way from the first time I looked at the Acadia. I love the 8 passenger configuration and would be kicking myself if one day I had 8 people to take somewhere, but only 7 seats. I won't regularly use the 3rd row, so maybe that's why I prefer the 2nd row bench. This is my first car with a 3rd row, though, and I do see the benefit of easily loading and unloading through the space in-between the captain's chairs. I think GM did a good job getting around this with the 2nd row slide and fold seats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have the 8 seat version, two months old now and no complaints, (our "baby" is 17.) The arm rest separates when only 2 are in the second row, and the small side slides up easy to get in back just like the captains chairs. I went back to the 3rd row many many times while shopping and decided it was really tight between the armrests and more of "looks" rather than "function" for access. We went for 8 seats just so we can leave the second car if 8 people end up going to dinner etc.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well the 8 is what we wanted from the start. We only have one 2.5 y/o, but she is getting big enough that it is not easy for my wife to put her in the seat, so the 2nd row bench helps because the kid can get in, climb up on the middle seat, and scramble into her seat without an issue. Later, when she moves to a booster, (about 4-5 more pounds from now), she will go in the middle for a center row seat for the view and the DVD.

I have not gone on an extended trip, but sat back there for a good 60-90 minutes straight, and I am a big guy but no issues. I think that the bench actually allows more room than the captains. If I had a pillow I would have been sleeping comfortably. I do wish the "recline" position was a bit more reclined, but the seats stay in recline now, and all the way back, and you can still fold the 3rd row without issue.

Here is my complaint though- The armrest sucks. Maybe it is good for kids, but being only 3-4 inches from the cushion doesn't do it for me. move it up about 4 inches and put a stopper in there so it stays elevated. I don't think (I haven't tried though) that the headphones will fit in there, which would have been nice, and the remote may not even fit. With all the space in the doors, I guess that doesn't matter too much, but I think you could have taken the 2 cupholders out of the armrest and made it hold all the DVD gear and it would have been a little more useful. The cupholders are always nice, but with the armrest down, 2 people in the 2nd row bench would have 3 cupholders each. A little ridiculous.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I ordered the bench on purpose for two reasons:

1) I figured I'd more often have 5 people in my Acadia (either friends or mom, dad, sister, and bro-in-law), and I didn't want one person to have to sit alone in the third row by themselves if I drove us to dinner, etc.
2) Having the bench makes it so easy to open the door and toss something in on the bench without limitations of the captain's chair separation between seats and/or armrests getting in the way. (ie. lay a dress flat across the bench so it doesn't wrinkle). I'm on the go a lot, so it's convenient for me. Getting back to the third row wasn't a concern for me since I won't be using those seats often.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We tested the 8 passenger this weekend with the kids (ages 11, 7 and 5). They could sit comfortably across the middle row, even with two of them in boosters. We wouldn't want to do that on a long trip, but it's fine if we need more cargo room. The back seat seems a little more closed in than the 7 passenger (obviously), but the kids won't care.

We're waiting today to see if the car the dealer found us is still available - SLT-2 red jewel/titanium with DVD, nav and sunroof.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts