GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that the AWD kicks-in as needed (snow, maybe some rain, etc.), but under normal driving conditions how does it work? Is power sent 100% to the front? to the rear?

Or is some fraction of power sent to the front and rear? 80% front, 20% rear or vice versa?

The manual doesn't give any explanation, so when I've been driving I have been trying to see if I can 'feel' where the power is being sent, but I can't seem to be able to pinpoint it? ???

Does anyone know how it works? :-\

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
There is always some fraction of power sent to the rear tires. When pushing through corners, depending on how aggressive you are, the power distribution will shift to give you the best control and handling. I bought the AWD mostly for this reason as getting some power to the rear when driving aggressively through corners changes the way it handles vs the FWD.

In bad weather, the AWD will shift the power to wherever needed to get the best traction.

·
Registered
234 Posts
And to just clarify the AWD system is a front/back system, not an individual wheel system. This means the power is distributed between the front set of wheel and rear set of wheels vs. individual compensation that you may find on BMW or Audi AWD setups.

I was confused about this for a while when I was new to the Acadia and researching a year ago.

Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts