GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hubby is curious whether the clay bar (any brand) will take off clear coat. We know its basic purpose is to get off that grit and grime, but he's thinking it will eventually affect the clear coat. Anyone have extended experience with this?

Heather

·
Registered
681 Posts
Clay bars are not supposed to damage the paint or clear coat finish, the particles that are being removed by the clay bar might remove some of the clear coat (see image below for example) the the damage these particles can do over time is worse than the clear coat being removed - and this valleys will be filled in with a frech coat of wax.

---------------------

WHAT DOES A DETAILING CLAY BAR DO?

Detailing Clay bars have the ability to grab the tiniest of debris and hold onto it as it glides across the paint. Used with the proper lubricant, Detailing clay bars are not abrasive and will not affect the paint surface with the exception of cleaning it. Anything that protrudes above the top coat surface will be grabbed by the clay bar and pulled out. The clay lubricant will prevent this debris from scratching the vehicle. Once clayed, the paint will feel remarkably smooth and have the shine that comes with perfectly clean
paint.

Clay pulls out things you can’t see, like industrial fallout, rail dust, and brake dust. Though they are not visible, they feel bumpy or gritty and they may cause patches of paint to appear dull, even after waxing. Even worse, as these contaminants oxidize, they create rust spots within the paint. Once this happens, the oxidation is considerably harder to remove and will most likely take a good bit of paint with it.

Likewise, chrome and coated metal and glass are subject to the same environmental pollutants as the paint. Use clay to clean these surfaces, too. It will not scratch metal or glass!

Detaling Clay bars also easily removes tar, sap, overspray, and gum. It’s much safer than corrosive spot cleaners and it leaves the surface incredibly smooth.

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
if you use the proper amount of clay lube you should not damage the clearcoat. But there are some aggressive clays out there intended to be used on cars that need alot of work and they will cause marring but that is OK because you will follow it with polishing to remove the marrs. The clay you can buy over the counter at your local autoparts stores are fine to use and should not cause any damage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only clay with a built-in lubricant!

Diamondite Speed Clay is faster than using a traditional clay and more convenient than polishing. Its foaming formula has a built-in lubricant so there’s no need for two separate products to do one job!
This is the link were i got this from. http://www.autogeek.net/dia-speed-clay.html

Will this stuff work as good as a clay bar? ???

·
Registered
148 Posts
That stuff doesn't have very good feedback according to the Autogeeks forums. I would either get the Pinnacle Poly Clay from there or, I would get the Meguires clay kit which can be found at your local autoparts store. Using a clay bar is pretty easy and there really is no need to find a quicker solution.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Any commentary on Zaino clay bar versus those noted already on this thread?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Acadia4VA-WV said:
Any commentary on Zaino clay bar versus those noted already on this thread?
Not much different from the one I used in the past - Mothers - there is a difference in the lubricating spray, with Zaino you have to use their auto wash solution mixed with water - this requires you to wash the car again after the clay bar - which is a good thing to do, but requires more time. That is the only difference I have noticed.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Yes. Every time you use the clay bar, you will remove all waxes and polishes as well. You really don't need to use a clay bar that often. Once every six months will be more than enough for most situations.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
I'm new to this clay bar thing, I almost bought one this weekend but was hesitant until I read the posts on this forum. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
423 Posts
clay is amazing. i had overspray all over my truck :angryfire:. i took it to a wash place to have it buffed out and whipped one of those bad boys out and BAM! my truck was looking good. :blob:

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Schram you could be the clay bar salesman of the year; I'm sold; going to buy one tonight BAM!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
jsimms said:
Schram you could be the clay bar salesman of the year; I'm sold; going to buy one tonight BAM!!
LOL, now i am wondering if i need another profession! ;D

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
You have one; you are the official comedian of the AcadiaForum :thumb:

·
Registered
75 Posts
As for claying removing clearcoat, it should not. However, more aggressive clays will sometimes leave light micro-marring on your clearcoat. I believe the clear on most GM vehicles is medium to hard clear. Infiniti, Acura, Lexus, and some others have more softer clearcoats in my experience. So, if you get too aggressive with the clay or don't use enough lube as mentioned, you run the risk of micro-marring your clear. Then, this would need to be polished out.

I've tried several clays over the past 2 years. I tried the Mother's yellow clay once and threw it in the trash. It's pretty useless IMO. The best medium aggressiveness clay I've ever seen is Riccardo's clay, but it is only available outside the U.S. There is a patent ban on it, kind of like Cuban cigars here. Next to that, a more aggressive clay is the grey clay from detailersdomain.com. I believe it supplied by Adam's Polishes. He also has a milder clay, but I have not used it yet. I've heard that the Sonus green clay is supposed to be a pretty good mild clay as well. I've been pretty happy with the grey clay from detailersparadise.com as well. I've had it take out some real nasty stuff before. I always use Adam's quick detailer as my lube. It's pretty slick, smells good, and is usually cheap enough if you have discount codes at the right sites.

How do you know your car needs a clay? There are obvious signs such as tar and other crap you can visually see on your paint. And then there's all the hidden crap you can't see embedded into your clear. Take a sandwich baggie and lightly rub your fingers on the front of your hood and other areas of your car. If it feels like sandpaper, then you need to clay. After claying it, repeat the same process with the baggie and it should feel much smoother. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
That definitely helps; I don't know much about clay and now I am better informed

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As soon as it warms up here I'll clay mine.
I'll probably go with the Meguires, just because I saw a couple utube videos
with detailers using and recommending it.
I figure it can't be that bad if it a well known name.

Now just to find the right sealer!

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
I've used Meguiars Mirror Glaze mild claybar (blue) Copperhead, and it works real well as long as you keep it lubed.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
GeoHawk said:
I've used Meguiars Mirror Glaze mild claybar (blue) Copperhead, and it works real well as long as you keep it lubed.
Sounds good!
Is one clay bar enough for the Acadia?

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
Copperhead13 said:
GeoHawk said:
Sounds good!
Is one clay bar enough for the Acadia?
Oh yeah. The clay bar never really goes away (at least mine hasn't ;D ), it will just get dirty. One bar will last a long, long time unless your vehicle is completely covered with crud. It will pick up the contaminants off the paint and trap them in the clay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts