GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first experience with OnStar for the free trial period. I'm curious especially for those who have had their OnStar expire if you renewed or not?

I have a whole year to evaluate and while I think it's a nice service, I'm wondering how many actually use it say once in a year? I think the email idea is good, but don't think you should need OnStar for that. GM ought to have some other method to serve up an email on your car once a month. A web interface with options on how to receive the data would be even better... with an option for SMS (text message).

Perhaps if you don't have navigation using OnStar for this might be useful.

Just wondering after activating today.

·
Registered
200 Posts
In two months I used the directions once, when I was on back roads and needing to get somewhere fast. I used the live operator and my daughter got a big kick out of it too. The monthly e-mails are nice----somehow my tire pressure dropped quite a bit last month and I really wouldn't have know it. Looking ahead though, unless I'm offered something really, really cheap, I can't see keeping it.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
b/c we don't travel a whole lot and pretty much within a 50 mile radius of home, On Star is not required as a, "Comfort Zone." 2 months out of the year we subscribe to Onstar and navigation. Only during those months would we get off the beaten path. There is only my wife and I when traveling those months or $50.00 a year. XM radio reception is sometimes very poor as the satellite is located deep in the southern hemisphere. Wife listens to local FM to and from work and when she lets me drive hers to work on occassion, I plug in my MP3 with selected recorded songs I like. Onstar and XM is not cost effect for our needs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We've had OnStar since 2001 when we bought our Olds Bravada. I mainly keep it because my wife is disabled and if for some reason she can't get in touch with me, all she has to do is push the button for help. We also used it on our Bravada for diagnostics when it quit on her a couple times. To me, it's for peace of mind when my wife is out alone. So, to me it's worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Used it for the trial period but,,,, I think $50.00/month is a little pricey. Why would one want to pay $600.00/year for a service that you can opbtain by buying a simple GPS for less than half the price, a device that moves from vehicle to vehicle, a device that can be transfered to a rental vehicle if on holidays.

I think it is a great feature but not for the price.

Why doesnt GM lower the price to GM vehicles and allow the rest of the car manufacturers to acces it for their vehicles at a higher price, even with that the price will have to come down lower as it (On-Star) is in direct competion with GPS,,, and I think GPS will win.

·
Registered
635 Posts
elec_inst said:
Used it for the trial period but,,,, I think $50.00/month is a little pricey. Why would one want to pay $600.00/year for a service that you can opbtain by buying a simple GPS for less than half the price, a device that moves from vehicle to vehicle, a device that can be transfered to a rental vehicle if on holidays.

I think it is a great feature but not for the price.

Why doesnt GM lower the price to GM vehicles and allow the rest of the car manufacturers to acces it for their vehicles at a higher price, even with that the price will have to come down lower as it (On-Star) is in direct competion with GPS,,, and I think GPS will win.
Don't know where those prices are coming from, but I renewed back in June for $199 + 99 for directions and connections.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That is reasonable. I was told by the dealer it is $269 for the basic On-star and 459? or something like that for the basic and the directions and connections. Maybe it is like anything else you need to try to strike a deal. I definitely won't be paying $459. I would however like to keep the basic after the trial period. Mostly for the emergency service etc.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm not a big fan of OnStar (never use it) but it will be there if and when I ever need it.

I renewed in March. Got the basic package for (I believe) $160 or so with tax for 15 months prepaid (3 months free). I also called my insurance company and asked what discounts I would lose if I got rid of it and it was something like $80 per year for "vehicle tracking". So the net cost was something like $5 per month- not too bad for peace of mind.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I renewed onstar in my silverado and will renew it when it comes due in the Acadia. The directions and connections comes in handy when you are traveling and looking for something that you havent been to before. The only complaint is that when we evacuated for GUSTAV the directions and connections wasnt available??? DUE TO THE STORM???? I didnt understand why it wasnt available when so many people probably needed it. So trying to find my hotel in Irving was a pain in the butt when it should have been easy with ONSTAR. Other than this one issue it has been great. Knowing that my wife will get help if she needs it if she gets in a wreck is a very big factor with me as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
onstar is a must for me being military, i travel alot and i get lost like crazy and when it comes to those portable gps units, i often find myself spending time on the side of the road trying to add a route of change one, and more often than not i have always had trouble finding addresses or new street names, new stores etc. onstar is a great product and will get plenty use in my acadia

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use couple time for past year( bought in November). Good system, but little pricey. I'm not sure if i want to have it. I find more useful a Verizon VZ navigator ($9.99 per month) . It does real traffic update, gas price around your location, weather, point of interest such concerts, events, do the search for any movie (show time) or stores and ect.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
I renewed my subscription, including the eNav option this past March. I use it often enough that I feel the cost is somewhat justified. I use the eNav every single time I head on a road trip out of town (and sometimes even in town to unfamiliar places). I love that I can just go online and pre-plan my destinations and then have it saved in the vehicle. And I also keep one saved as "Home" so that no matter where I am, my Acadia can always get me back home. It would be nice if they'd allow us to save more than just 5 destinations though!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I just renewed the On-Star service for 2-years at $12.42 per month. (this is the employee discount price but I had to pay the whole 2 years in one payment) I was going to do the TBT directions for another $9.99 per month, but On-Star shafted themselves. My On-Star TBD quit working in April. They still have not fixed it and have told me just now that I need a recall done to my hardware. Fortunately for me, during that time, I activated VZ Navigator as a temporary replacement. During that time I found it superior in many ways. The biggest benefit is that I always have my phone with me. I also use VZ Navigator a good amount for walking directions. I doubt I will ever do more than the basic On-Star.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Web Raven said:
I renewed my subscription, including the eNav option this past March. I use it often enough that I feel the cost is somewhat justified. I use the eNav every single time I head on a road trip out of town (and sometimes even in town to unfamiliar places). I love that I can just go online and pre-plan my destinations and then have it saved in the vehicle. And I also keep one saved as "Home" so that no matter where I am, my Acadia can always get me back home. It would be nice if they'd allow us to save more than just 5 destinations though!
They do. It's called N-A-V

·
Registered
36 Posts
elec_inst said:

$600 a year? That's wrong. Safe and Sound is $18.95 a month and Directions and Connections is $28.90 a month.

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/safe_sound.jsp

http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/direct_conn.jsp

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
We're not planning on it. I don't like recurring fees for something you do not use very much if at all. Our SLT2 will have the factory Nav (will work in a storm also). Ditto XM. I can copy all my CDs to an Ipod and connect it. As another example, we used to have basic cell phone plans. I found we were spending $75 a month for two phones w/ taxes and fees (it was actually like $29.99, who knows where the rest goes ??? Hint- the Government does). I priced some pre-paid phones and we ended up saving $30 or so per month, and if we don't use them (which we don't- I developed an allergy to them after I retired ;)), there is no cost.

BTW, the "vehicle recovery" only works if someone has paid the bill, and the bad guy(s) have not pulled the fuse for the system. It's not LoJack.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
BTW, the "vehicle recovery" only works if someone has paid the bill, and the bad guy(s) have not pulled the fuse for the system. It's not LoJack.
But would it satisfy my insurance company's requirement for "A small electronic unit installed in a vehicle that sends a signal so the police can track your vehicle."?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had basic On-star in my Tahoe (until they stopped using the analog cell system) and fortunately used it only occasionally as a phone. I will still renew it on the Acadia. We travel across the West and, in remote areas, the more powerful cell radio that On-star uses can connect when the small cellphone cannot. Also was able to get a good price that made it very affordable when considering the insurance discount.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts