GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 SLE with 252k miles and i do notice that if i gas up premium it does perform better. However money is tight and i cant do premium every fill, so i thought these octane boosters might be the cheaper way to make my engine run better. Do they work? Are they safe for the engine?

·
Super Moderator
20,280 Posts
Save your money. Look for E0 (no ethanol) fuel if you can find it. My Acadia seemed to run better (and get a bit better fuel economy) on E0 rather than E10 (10% ethanol) 87 octane gasoline. The difference between using 87 or 90+ octane fuel was less noticeable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks, i will keep an eye on that next time i gas up

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Ok thanks, i will keep an eye on that next time i gas up
Maybe buy some fuel system and combustion chamber cleaner to add to the gas for a couple of tankfuls. With the high miles on your Acadia, it would help clean up the combustion chambers form carbon.
I've used GumOut 1-N-Done a few times in 2 consecutive fill ups (running down to near empty each time).
With your high miles it may help more than premium fuel.
It has a high PEA content. .. more than Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner Concentrate.

Reactions: Jmbjr0930

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
At a quarter million miles, I would venture to say there is an abundance of carbon built up in the combustion chamber.

Might not be anyway around using premium at least every other fill.

·
Registered
2018 Quicksilver Metallic Jet Black Leather SLT-1 Tow Package
744 Posts
I have been fond of Lucas Fuel System cleaner. How do this stuff compare to the other that have been mentioned?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe buy some fuel system and combustion chamber cleaner to add to the gas for a couple of tankfuls. With the high miles on your Acadia, it would help clean up the combustion chambers form carbon.
I've used GumOut 1-N-Done a few times in 2 consecutive fill ups (running down to near empty each time).
With your high miles it may help more than premium fuel.
It has a high PEA content. .. more than Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner Concentrate.
Thanks i will do that

·
Registered
99 Posts
Surprising you notice a difference unless you are pushing it pretty hard. With that many miles spark plugs might not last as long. Consider doing some of the basic tune up items such as Plugs, MAF and throttle body cleaning. A good fuel system cleaner as mentioned above could help and is easy.

·
Registered
972 Posts
A bottle of 104+ octane booster is about $8. It supposedly increases octane 1-2 points, and treats up to 18 gallons. Best case, 2 points for 18 gallons. A $0.30 increase to go from 87 to 89 is $5.40 for 18 gallons, so it's cheaper to just use a higher grade.

Reactions: Grantv

·
Registered
87 Posts
Save your money. Look for E0 (no ethanol) fuel if you can find it. My Acadia seemed to run better (and get a bit better fuel economy) on E0 rather than E10 (10% ethanol) 87 octane gasoline. The difference between using 87 or 90+ octane fuel was less noticeable.
I notice better fuel economy and performance on the 2014 even with E10 93 vs E10 87. REC gas is a little too hard to come by when just driving around or on a trip, and I'm not going to take the time hunting.

I definitely only run premium when towing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has a compression test been done? Maybe the premium gas is just helping with a lack of compression?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Has a compression test been done? Maybe the premium gas is just helping with a lack of compression?
At a quarter million miles there is probably enough carbon built up in the combustion chambers that the compression ration has been raised.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Higher octane = more resistance to pre-ignition (knock). Computer advances timing until "silent" knock occurs for max power (efficiency). Higher octane = more advance = more power. More carbon = more knock = less advance = less power. Too much carbon and "regular" octane will seriously under perform, requiring "premium" octane just to perform normally. De-carbon that beast and use regular gas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts