GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my new acadia tuesday (yay) to replace my 2001 Jimmy totaled last week :( My question is, my old bike rack did a number on the back hatch, now this may be because I backed into a telephone pole with the bike on (the acadia's rear park assist will be a dfinite plus) or that I left the carrier on all the time, but I want to switch to a hitch mounted bike carrier on the Acadia.

Do I need to buy a trailer package just to get the hitch adaptor? It seems silly when all I'll be carrying is a bicycle. I have no intention of towing anything. Can you just get the hitch adaptor installed some place without the cooler and stuff that comes in the package? I also would rather not do without the spare tire, I had a run of three flats in three months in East Baltimore, and it's not something I'd like to be without.
[/color]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
never mind i found another post that answered my questions on this one, now the question is where to get one installed because i don't think I want to buy one from my dealer because they'll just try to overcharge me like they are on the crossrails.[/color]

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I have moved both of your posts to the aftermarket/upgrade section for more visibility. In this section, you will see posts related to what you want to do/need to know, and it will be easier for other members to find them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a roof rack on my acadia for my bike and to tell you the truth, go with the hitch rack. It's a pain lifting the bike onto the roof. I have yakima racks on both of my vehicles and I would highly recommend them. The acadia has a raptor that is an upright roof rack the grips the bike by the frame. My other vehicle has a hitch rack called a hook up. It holds the bike by the front and rear wheels. Loads the bike in about 10 seconds. Expensive but well worth the money and less pain than stretching to get a bike on the roof.

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts
iamdragonrider said:
........ now the question is where to get one installed because i don't think I want to buy one from my dealer because they'll just try to overcharge me like they are on the crossrails.[/color]
Rider, you have U-Haul, Jiffy Hitch, the Hitchman, and any RV/Trailer dealer to choose from to get the installation done. If your handy with tools, you could always DIY!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Blue, I thought I was on the right forum ( I hate being a newbie.... I hate when newbies post on the wrong forum...) Thanks Jason, speleos. Especially for the company reccomendations, I also found another thread debating several brands of hitches, some people felt one hitch moved and made noise (I didn't know they could do that! I really know nothing) while many felt the GM one a better product and had no complaints about it. While I could probably figure it out, my Dad is much more handy and I think he'd be more than happy to help me out for no fees and it sounds like it would only take a few minutes to install.

One more question just to make sure, or a two combo. Just the hitch alone, it will not interfere with either the exhaust or the spare tire, meaning I would not have to sacrifice or move either correct? pretty much I and Dad can just bolt the sucker into the predrilled holes one weekend morning and either slap the cover on or i can put my bike rack in and start using it?

Ok I lied, another q. Does anyone know the weight load of the hitch alone? I know you can get a bike rack for up to four bikes, that is safe to carry that many bikes on just a hitch? I mean when you aren't hauling/towing something, is most of the weight distributed by the hitch and bumper, since you don't have that pull I guess you don't have to worry, it's just I heard it's only held on by a couple bolts it doesn't sound like much to keep it in place. Mostly it will just be me and one bike, but I make routine highway trips of twently minutes or more to get to the NCR trail, and sometimes I make much longer trips (400mi on 81) to visit a friend. I am planning an extended vacation where I may bring several bikes from maryland to florida. And I know some folks use a hitch mounted luggage rack, now that sort of set up I'd want to be much more careful with, since one could theoretically put a lot of weight back there :p I just wonder what's the likelihood of this thing falling off the back fully loaded and killing the person behind be while I'm going 75+ on 81 or I95. Of course I know not to actually TOW anything with the hitch, but it would be nice to know how much a hitch alone can carry, I tried googling it but all it comes up with is "buy hitches"

And one last q. On the GM accessories page, the thing about the bike rack (Though I plan to shop amazon.com and elsewhere) said something about needing a licenseplate holder? would I need to move the plate while using the rack?
[/color]

·
Registered
635 Posts
The hitch is rated for 4500 I think and without the towing pack you can tow up to about 2000. So you are well with in the range unless it is a motorcycle. :thumb:

I know on the Outlooks there was no interference with the mufflers as I put one on my self (came from Uhaul for 140.00). However I do remeber reading over a year ago that some with the acadias that put aftermarket hitches on had a problem with them rubbing the hitch and being noisy.

No license plate holder needed that I know of unless the entire plate will be covered (like a bag is put over the bikes). I think it is just a marketing play to buy more (although I could be wrong depending on different state laws).

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts
iamdragonrider said:
....the hitch alone, it will not interfere with either the exhaust or the spare tire, meaning I would not have to sacrifice or move either correct?[/color]
If the hitch is designed for the Acadia, no problem!

iamdragonrider said:
...anyone know the weight load of the hitch alone?[/color]
I think your referring to something like trailer "tongue weight." That's downward weight on the hitch, as opposed to the weight you can pull before you tear the vehicle in half ;D Generally, that goes about 300-400lbs. If your bikes are heavier than that - GET NEW BIKES!!! :blob:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I guess I'm being overly cautious :D but i did read it's only a few little bolts that hold the hitch in. I think i'd be more cautious using a hitch mounted luggage rack! But some of the swing racks are a pretty good weight alone and when you start adding on multiple bikes and then you add wind resistance and sustained highway speeds... well I worry alot![/color]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
right... everyone laugh about the newbie that thinks her bike rack is gonna take bumper off the back of her brand new acadia on a trip down 1-95 to florida because she was too cheap to buy a trailer package she'll never use... You just wait til some says thier cousins neighbor's uncle's friend's mother in law knows someone that was driving behind someone that had the exact same thing happen to them...[/color]

·
Super Moderator
21,734 Posts
iamdragonrider said:
well I guess I'm being overly cautious :D but i did read it's only a few little bolts that hold the hitch in. I think i'd be more cautious using a hitch mounted luggage rack! But some of the swing racks are a pretty good weight alone and when you start adding on multiple bikes and then you add wind resistance and sustained highway speeds... well I worry alot![/color]
Not to worry! When you think about it, there are only a few bolts that hold almost anything together. It's just a matter of good engineering and proper installation as to whether or not it's going to hold together. Your not going to need to worry about a lot of wind resistance with bikes on a rack behind you. It's like racing - they're drafting with you as you go down the highway. There would be a lot more resistance if they were mounted on the roof!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
iamdragonrider said:
Thanks Blue, I thought I was on the right forum ( I hate being a newbie.... I hate when newbies post on the wrong forum...) Thanks Jason, speleos. Especially for the company reccomendations, I also found another thread debating several brands of hitches, some people felt one hitch moved and made noise (I didn't know they could do that! I really know nothing) while many felt the GM one a better product and had no complaints about it. While I could probably figure it out, my Dad is much more handy and I think he'd be more than happy to help me out for no fees and it sounds like it would only take a few minutes to install.

One more question just to make sure, or a two combo. Just the hitch alone, it will not interfere with either the exhaust or the spare tire, meaning I would not have to sacrifice or move either correct? pretty much I and Dad can just bolt the sucker into the predrilled holes one weekend morning and either slap the cover on or i can put my bike rack in and start using it?

Ok I lied, another q. Does anyone know the weight load of the hitch alone? I know you can get a bike rack for up to four bikes, that is safe to carry that many bikes on just a hitch? I mean when you aren't hauling/towing something, is most of the weight distributed by the hitch and bumper, since you don't have that pull I guess you don't have to worry, it's just I heard it's only held on by a couple bolts it doesn't sound like much to keep it in place. Mostly it will just be me and one bike, but I make routine highway trips of twently minutes or more to get to the NCR trail, and sometimes I make much longer trips (400mi on 81) to visit a friend. I am planning an extended vacation where I may bring several bikes from maryland to florida. And I know some folks use a hitch mounted luggage rack, now that sort of set up I'd want to be much more careful with, since one could theoretically put a lot of weight back there :p I just wonder what's the likelihood of this thing falling off the back fully loaded and killing the person behind be while I'm going 75+ on 81 or I95. Of course I know not to actually TOW anything with the hitch, but it would be nice to know how much a hitch alone can carry, I tried googling it but all it comes up with is "buy hitches"

And one last q. On the GM accessories page, the thing about the bike rack (Though I plan to shop amazon.com and elsewhere) said something about needing a licenseplate holder? would I need to move the plate while using the rack?
[/color]
I installed the hitch http://www.etrailer.com/pc-H~75528.htm?vehicleid=20089165 and it will handle 500lbs tongue weight. It took me 30 minutes to install. The site has a video you can watch that helps. Yes, it's just bolt on and it does not interfere with the exhaust or spare.

I use the bike rack http://www.etrailer.com/pc-br4b~A30404.htm which comes with an anti-rattle threaded hitch pin and it does not make noise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[/color]thanks for the info. I bought the hatch mounted rack at amazon, so etrailer expands my choices so I guess i'll just have to decide on the GM part or the etrailer one because I've found a seller on ebay offering the GM parts for around the same price with a 1 yr warranty. Only they didn't have the hitch for acadia on the store, but had it for other vehicles, i'm waiting to hear back from them, they had the crossrails though (And if I'd carry luggage, I'd put the luggage up there, with the motorcycle...)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts