GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the Acadia HID lights self-level? For example, if you have a lot of cargo in the back will the lights adjust the beam lower. This is standard with a lot of HID vehicles. I have read on this forum of glare issues with HID and it seems like it would be much worse when hauling cargo. I would like HID lights, but not if oncoming cars think the brights are on.

·
Registered
492 Posts
FRW said:
Do the Acadia HID lights self-level? For example, if you have a lot of cargo in the back will the lights adjust the beam lower. This is standard with a lot of HID vehicles. I have read on this forum of glare issues with HID and it seems like it would be much worse when hauling cargo. I would like HID lights, but not if oncoming cars think the brights are on.
Some of us have had the problem of getting "flashed". After the dealer lowered them for me and got them to low, I took matters into my own hands.

An easy fix is a phillips head screwdriver away. Pop the hood and find the hole above the outter headlight. Turning the screw clockwise lowers the air, counter clockwise raises them. On a level surface pull up to a garage door and put a piece of tape to mark where the light hits for the orginal aim. Try putting 1 turn (lower) equally per side and see if that helps. Adjust as needed and keep track of your adjustments. You can always go back to the tape markings.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Racefla, Thanks for the manual adjustment advice. Doesn't sound like the Acadia has auto level adjustment. My friend said his MDX has auto leveling, but I have not confirmed it. I really want the HIDs, but this forum has quite a few comments on being flashed. Still deciding. I am placing the order on Wed, so I have another day to worry about it. :D

·
Registered
121 Posts
HID lamps do not self level. Plant alignment info confirms all is in spec. It is possible that people are reacting to the cleaner, brighter light eventhough they are aligned. I notice that HID's are brighter when approaching. I know this sounds self-serving, but from an illumination standpoint, these are among the best available based on our competitive evaluation.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think I was flashed by the very first car I passed the night I drove home from the dealer. And the second one, and the third one.

I know one thing. I hate being in their place in front of them, but I love being behaind them.

I plan on lowering them just a wee bit to say at least I tried. 8)

·
Registered
306 Posts
The dealer lowered mine, but a bit too low.

Thanks to racefla, I simply brought them back up to the right level for the best illumination from the Acadia, yet low enough to prevent annoying other drivers.

It is simple enough that if I were going on a long trip with a trailer-towing loaded up vehicle, I could easily adjust 'em again to prevent being "flashed" and "fingered" by annoyed drivers (as were were on our trip to Florida last month.).

My BMW does have self-leveling Xeons--they'd sure be useful on the Acadia--esp when loaded up.

Maybe GM will grab on to this feature in future editions of the Acadia.

·
Registered
306 Posts
FRW said:
My friend said his MDX has auto leveling, but I have not confirmed it. I :D
The 2007 Acura MDX has OPTIONAL[/color] self-leveling HIDs--comes on the Sports Package option which STARTS at $45,595.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I find it a bit disconcerting that GM cut a corner on the HIDs by not including a self-leveler like pretty much all factory HID systems include. It's required in Europe so you'll find pretty much all imports with HID have it. GM even includes manual or automatic leveling on some export vehicles, but not domestic-market units. Seems like it would be cheaper to design a global standard.

I'll be doing some aiming tonight as the factory aims them too high.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts