GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone that has added the cross rails tell me if they experienced any additional wind noise? I would like to add them but may not if they would add noise while traveling.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I haven't noticed any extra noise, but I have the Sat. radio going all the time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have a cargo box thus we have the crossbars. The only time I noticed any additional wind noise with the box on the roof is when I opened the sunroof. Boy was it loud! Closed the sunroof and it was as quiet as it always is. I have the sunroof open a lot and I don't notice any extra noise because of the crossbars.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the fast responses!!! I think I am going to get some of the GM crossbars for my "birthday"!! :)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Only when I had my deer up on the roof! :thumb:

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't noted additional noise with my Acadia cross bars. I will expect noise once I attach my Yakima. The hard carriers make a lot of wind noise (sun roof open) on my Expedition. I don't expect the noise to change on my Acadia - with the sun roof open. You create a turbulent wind tunnel between the carrier and the vehicle. Without the hard carrier however, no noticeable (additional) noise.

With sun roof closed, I've never recognized additional wind noise caused by a hard carrier - at least the two that I have (1 Yakima, 1 Thule).

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would only use the cross rails once or twice a year, for family vacations. We use a soft-top carrier, but I'm wondering if I can use it with the side rails only, and not buy the cross-rails. The carrier attaches with straps on the front/back and both sides. It is typically pretty heavy, once fully loaded, and doesn't seem like it would move much, even if it was only secured with the sides only. Anyone have any experience or opinions on this? ???

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have had no wind noise issues with the crossrails in place and in fact have not even noticed any wind noise with a Thule Atlantic box attached to it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hunt said:
I would only use the cross rails once or twice a year, for family vacations. We use a soft-top carrier, but I'm wondering if I can use it with the side rails only, and not buy the cross-rails. The carrier attaches with straps on the front/back and both sides. It is typically pretty heavy, once fully loaded, and doesn't seem like it would move much, even if it was only secured with the sides only. Anyone have any experience or opinions on this? ???
I would be afraid the carrier would rub on the roof and scratch it. Also depending on how much "stuff" you have in the carrier the crossbars would give you additional tie down options and possibly prevent the carrier from blowing off the roof. I was behind a car last year and their soft-top carrier blew off while going over the Bay Bridge in Maryland. What a lousy start to a vacation!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts