GMC Acadia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the Ontario Ministry of Transportation (Canada), http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/topics/wintertires.htm, it show 4-wheel drives having the shortest stopping distance compared to a compact and mini-van. Why is that? I mean don't all wheels have breaks whether AWD or not? Would it be because of the tire widths and weight of the bigger cars/SUV?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Re: Do AWD have shorter stopping distances?

There are many factors that determine braking distance, like the type of brakes. I think the point of that article was how much better having snow tires in general was.

·
Registered
30 Posts

19inches said:
On the Ontario Minstry of Transportation (Canada), http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/topics/wintertires.htm, it show 4-wheel drives having the shortest stopping distance compared to a compact and mini-van. Why is that? I mean don't all wheels have breaks whether AWD or not? Would it be because of the tire widths and weight of the bigger cars/SUV?
Stats are questionable unless you totally remove or weigh variables. Another of my old sayings "Figures never lie, but liars figure". I have read your reference and my opinion of it follows:
I totally ignore studies like you one you question. A comparison such as this has applicability only if you considering adding "Winter Tires" to your vehicle and live in areas where severe, ice or snow, prevail.
I agree that 4WD should have no effect of length of stopping distances. We may get clarification on this point from other forum members which I would welcome.
You cannot use their information to make valid comparisons between the classes of vehicles. You will note there is no attestation as to uniformity of stabilization systems between the classes or braking systems.
None of us would disagree with the fact that Studded Tires have more traction and should have shorter stopping distances than All Season Tires. That is the only valid point in their analysis.
Sorry, I am stepping off my soap box, before I fall off.
BD

·
Registered
381 Posts

Studded snow tires or snow tires in general provide better traction. AWD does the same.

·
Registered
275 Posts

What? No. AWD vs FWD/RWD same vehicle shouldn't have any differences in stopping distances unless there's different brake / suspension / stock tire packages.

Any fantastic tire that grabs in condition X can be overridden by stupidity.

Nothing can replace driving smartly and responsibly for the conditions.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

toasteroven said:
What? No. AWD vs FWD/RWD same vehicle shouldn't have any differences in stopping distances unless there's different brake / suspension / stock tire packages.

Any fantastic tire that grabs in condition X can be overridden by stupidity.

Nothing can replace driving smartly and responsibly for the conditions.
On acceleration given identical snow covered road conditions: AWD > FWD > RWD
On decleration: All equal unless fitted with winter tires, and depends on quality of winter tires.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Thread topic modified to include Winter tires, since that is what is being discussed here and in the original link. Thread moved to proper section.

EDIT
This thread went way off topic in a negative fashion. I have deleted the remaining posts and locked it.[/color]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.