GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I can handle mounting an aftermarket hitch receiver but am wondering how tough it is to lower the exhaust. Looking under I see no bolts holding it up (Just rubber) can someone who has installed a Hidden hitch, Reese, or other receiver tell me how difficult and give me any installation hints and maybe a recommendation for which to buy? I know I will leave the electrical up to the dealer after lurking on this great forum.

Thanks

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
All that is required is to unhook the rubber straps at the front of the mufflers. A very small amount of pressure is more than enough to pull the exhaust the amount needed to get the hitch into place. I installed hitch and wiring harness in about 25 minutes laying under vehicle. It is very easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Hey Dura_cell,
Can you tell me where you ordered the hitch and wiring harness from and the part numbers if possible.


dura_cell said:
All that is required is to unhook the rubber straps at the front of the mufflers. A very small amount of pressure is more than enough to pull the exhaust the amount needed to get the hitch into place. I installed hitch and wiring harness in about 25 minutes laying under vehicle. It is very easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I got my trailer hitch from www.hitchfinder.com. I got the Reese 44569 for 111.75 + $17.00 shipping. I just checked and the price was the same. I think I got the light kit from them but not sure. I couldn't seem to find it on their website but it is very easy to install. A lot of stores will have them. The shipping was very fast from hitchfinder also. I received it in about 4 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JC Whitney has a Hitch Receiver made by Curt custom for the Acadia. Has anyone tried it? it is $150 and looks good in the picture with free drop bar and shipping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got the Curt Hitch Receiver and installed it with no problems. Thanks to the WD40 trick on the exhaust grommets. can someone who has installed one on a non trailering package point me to a source for the connection to a flat 4 wire trailer connection from the Acadia that works after the Dealer fixes the fus box problem? I don't want to have any Warranty problems down the line.

Thanks

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I keep hearing that the NON trailer package Acadias have a connector behind the bumper somewhere. I keep looking and have yet to find it. Can someone give me some hints on how to find it or a picture of where it is?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Mine was wire tied under the body midway between the left rear and middle of the vehicle almost directly between the exhaust tailpiple of the left exhaust and the middle. It has a round end to it with a plastic cap on it. Mine passes between the bumber and the square metal frame that it about 1 inch in front of the bumper. Hope this helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
GAR,
I think what I am finding out is that 2007 Acadia's have the trailer wire go to the bumper. 2008 Acadia's do not have this going to the bumper, I found a wire above the rear passenger wheel well that appears to be a place to plug in a wire. Take a look. The big question is where do we get the part to go from the plug to the bumper. I am having a hard time. If anyone has a 2007 that does not plan on using the wire, I would be willing to buy it from them. Let me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
cchatelle said:
2008 Acadia's do not have this going to the bumper, I found a wire above the rear passenger wheel well that appears to be a place to plug in a wire. Take a look.
I have been looking for the wire above the rear passenger wheel well. Would you happen to have a picture of the plug and it's location? :)

According to the following post, I believe item #4 on the attached picture is part number 25845097...

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.msg20137#msg20137

This part number would be for the 7 wire harness that would plug into the 7 wire receptacle (item number 3, part number 12191503) that would be mounted to the hitch (item number 1, part number 15926187). If you needed all 7 wires you could use them, if not, you could get a 7 to 6,5 or 4 wire adapter to put in the receptacle. These adapters can be obtained at Walmart, Lowes, etc. for about $8-$10ish.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I will try to take a picture, it is way up there. You would definitely need to take off the bumper to plug anything into it. Can I ask where did you get the picture that you posted? I tried to order the parts, but was told they are unavailable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
If you're talking about the connector behind the right rear wheelwell, it can be accessed by removing the screws along the wheelwell. You can then squeeze you arms up there and disconnect or connect the harness. The harness part number is 25845097 which has all the wires in it. I know through the local dealer they wanted $75 for it. I ordered it from gmpartsdirect for $33.
Below is the results from putting the wire harness part number in at the top of the page.

Search Results of Available Items
*Prices are Per Unit

Page 1: 1-1 of 1 items
GM PART # 25845097
CATEGORY: Platform Trailer Hitch
PACK QTY: 1
CORE CHARGE: $0.00
GM LIST: $54.35
OUR PRICE: $32.22

DESCRIPTION: HARNESS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
This is my first time attaching pictures, so I might not be doing this correctly. The info in this thread was very helpful. I found that I can reach this connector by reaching up between the bumper and the wheel well. I think I could actually connect to it with the mating cable without taking anything apart. These pictures where taken from the ground just behind the passenger side rear wheel.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
HELP!?!?!?

I would like to add a hitch to my 2007 Acadia. GM Partsdirect says the harness needed is part #25845096. However, my dealer says it should be #25826857 (and I double-checked with the dealer after getting the other number from gmpd.)

They both agree on the hitch 15926187 and the connector receptacle w/door 12191503.

Could anyone clarify the difference between the two harness #'s?

THANKS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
Mrichs said:
HELP!?!?!?

I would like to add a hitch to my 2007 Acadia. GM Partsdirect says the harness needed is part #25845096. However, my dealer says it should be #25826857 (and I double-checked with the dealer after getting the other number from gmpd.)

They both agree on the hitch 15926187 and the connector receptacle w/door 12191503.

Could anyone clarify the difference between the two harness #'s?

THANKS
Unless they've had a part number change the one i got from gmpartsdirect is 25845097. The number the dealer is quoting is for the harness that originally comes on the Acadia and only has 4 wires. I just went to the garage and checked the old harness number and that's what is on it (25826857).
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
dolphin said:
I think I can handle mounting an aftermarket hitch receiver but am wondering how tough it is to lower the exhaust. Looking under I see no bolts holding it up (Just rubber) can someone who has installed a Hidden hitch, Reese, or other receiver tell me how difficult and give me any installation hints and maybe a recommendation for which to buy? I know I will leave the electrical up to the dealer after lurking on this great forum.

Thanks

Bill
I'm not sure about the 08 but on my 07, I was able to slide the hitch up and into place without dropping the exhaust.
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
JLF...thanks for the reply. I'm curious...gmpd said 25845096, not 25845097. Is there a type somewhere?

thx

mrichs


JLF said:
Mrichs said:
HELP!?!?!?

I would like to add a hitch to my 2007 Acadia. GM Partsdirect says the harness needed is part #25845096. However, my dealer says it should be #25826857 (and I double-checked with the dealer after getting the other number from gmpd.)

They both agree on the hitch 15926187 and the connector receptacle w/door 12191503.

Could anyone clarify the difference between the two harness #'s?

THANKS
Unless they've had a part number change the one i got from gmpartsdirect is 25845097. The number the dealer is quoting is for the harness that originally comes on the Acadia and only has 4 wires. I just went to the garage and checked the old harness number and that's what is on it (25826857).
Jerry
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top