GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Acadia 2008. Purchased in April 2008.
I covered 9000 miles.
According to whats published, the fuel consumtion is supposed to be 22 mpg. where i found it to be 10.3 mpg.
I contacted the main agent, it seems they don't know . They said this is normal.

Second problem.. The AC cooling deteriorates in hot weather until it almost doesnt produce any cooling at all.
I sent the car for repairing 3 times for this problem. First time occurred at 3000 miles. second time at 6000 miles and third is in these days.
It seems there is a problem in the evaporator or expansion unit that is unable to work properly .
The car is currenly under warranty. It seems i will be paying for endless AC repairs all over the car's life.

Third problem is having a message saying a problem in the Air Bag system.

I never seen a car with such problems to occur with such low milage.
I wonder what it would be after another 30000 miles or even more.

The final conclusion - I am gonna sell the car and never buy GM products again. I had Toyota Camry since 2004 and it is working without any single problem so far. I will stick in with japanese cars.

Moderator edit
I deleted your identical reply in another thread in this section of the board since you had already posted it here.[/color]

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I agree. English grammar and structure is a dead give away, IMO. More apparent on some Mustang boards.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Qatar (according to the IP Address used). This would explain the English since it is more than likely a second language. I'll skip the shot at the Mustang boards (thanks teeter- the Supra & RX7 boards are just as bad)! ;)

Now, as to the post:
I covered 9000 miles.
According to whats published, the fuel consumption is supposed to be 22 mpg. where i found it to be 10.3 mpg.
I contacted the main agent, it seems they don't know . They said this is normal.
Tell us how you drive the vehicle. What are your average speeds? I have a Toyota Supra that will average 16 MPG or closer to 20 MPG depending on how I drive it. The Acadia MPG topic has been discussed at length here:

Acadia MPG thread

If you drive on open roads at 160 KPH/100 MPH, you will burn a lot of gas. Incidentally, how much is a gallon/liter of gas in Qatar?

Likewise, if you drive in congested areas in a lot of low speed "stop and go" traffic, you will burn a lot of gas.

In our case, with a 2009 SLT2 FWD model, we average 19-20 MPG with mainly rural highway driving.

Second problem.. The AC cooling deteriorates in hot weather until it almost doesn't produce any cooling at all.
I sent the car for repairing 3 times for this problem. First time occurred at 3000 miles. second time at 6000 miles and third is in these days.
It seems there is a problem in the evaporator or expansion unit that is unable to work properly .
The car is currently under warranty. It seems I will be paying for endless AC repairs all over the car's life.
Any AC system will have limitations. If used in a hotter climate, it will not cool as well. That said, we live in the southern US and it gets to 100 degrees with high humidity here in the summer months. Our AC works great, this is one of the reasons we bought the Acadia over the Dodge Journey. We also have members in the SW US that also experience very high temperature operation. I'm not aware of any large scale AC complaints from any of these members. If a component is defective, it is up to the person making the repair to fix it correctly. It sounds like they have not done so. Unfortunately, in your area, this is usually limited to one dealer, so you don't have the luxury of a second opinion or repair source.

This also sounds like a unique problem. You are in the same situation here as with the AC system.

The final conclusion - I am gonna sell the car and never buy GM products again. I had Toyota Camry since 2004 and it is working without any single problem so far. I will stick in with Japanese cars.
No car maker will make 100% defect free vehicles 100% of the time. I rather enjoy Japanese cars- I own three- you can see them in the Avatar under my user name. I've found that they hold up well, and after a little engine work, they even run a lot better than when they were new.

As for the Camry, look at this web page:
2004 Toyota Camry Complaints

It is a listing of problems owners have had with the 2004 Toyota Camry.

Like the Acadia, the Toyota Camry has a forum for owners. They are not as well organized and don't appear to be as active, so it is more difficult to find problems with their vehicles.
In under 30 seconds of browsing, I found these though:
2002 Camry- AC not working
2000 Camry died while driving
2008 Camry- oxygen sensor needs to be replaced already?

Perhaps one or more of them also feels the way you do about GM. If you are unhappy with your vehicle, by all means sell it and drive something you think is a better vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2008 Acadia, built in July, bought in October. I have 23,000 miles on mine and still get 21 - 24 mpg. I use regular gas, change the oil regularly and don't add any additives. I do 60/40 highway/town driving. I use my cruise control on the highway all the time.

Consider your driving habits:

1. Do you drive in town or on highway the most?
2. Do you drive at high rates of speed?
3. Have you tried switching where you buy your gas?

Good luck getting your troubles fixed.

Tracy

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Hatem said:
I have Acadia 2008. Purchased in April 2008.
I covered 9000 miles.
According to whats published, the fuel consumtion is supposed to be 22 mpg. where i found it to be 10.3 mpg.[/color]

Second problem.. The AC cooling deteriorates in hot weather until it almost doesnt produce any cooling at all.
The car is currenly under warranty. It seems i will be paying for endless AC repairs all over the car's life.

I never seen a car with such problems to occur with such low milage.
I wonder what it would be after another 30000 miles or even more.

The final conclusion - I am gonna sell the car and never buy GM products again. I had Toyota Camry since 2004 and it is working without any single problem so far. I will stick in with japanese cars.

Moderator edit
I deleted your identical reply in another thread in this section of the board since you had already posted it here.[/color]
Are these numbers based on actual calculations or the readings from the DIC?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do live in Qatar. It doesn't make any difference whether English is my second or third language. I am only concerned about my car's condition.
You guys may be luckier than me to have less troubles with yr Acadia. I purchased the car after reading several opinions. I liked the car's spacious space and some other options provided, in addition to the reputation of GM products which I would expect a good quality product.

But what would you guys do when you find such repeating problems with almost a brand new car?
The AC problem seems to be repeating in high temp. climate. When I send the car to GM dealer, they rectify the fault and the AC works fine for 2 or 3 months until it passes thru another high temperature climate for several days then i face the same problem again.

The car service was all done in timely basis in the local GM service center in Qatar. When I enquired about the high fuel consumption, they assured this is the normal rate of the car.
I use 97 Octane fuel and I don't drive at high speeds. (Maximum 60 m/h as per speed limits).
The engine oil is being replaced at GM dealer according to the maintenance instructions.

Now what am I supposed to feel after all this? Do I have to suffer under the hot and humid climate conditions because I am driving a faulty GM car?

As i noted earlier , I never faced any problem with my Camry. I am aware of what had been posted by some Camry owners but I had better luck with my Camry.

My appology for re-posting the same comments into a different thread as i thought the initial post has not been successfully sent.[/color]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Answering some of questions ,

Gasoline prices here are : 0.21 $ for 97 Octane gas - 0.20 $ for 90 Octane gas.

I don't know if the agent replace the faulty part or just repair it. This is done under warrante. They don't tell what exactly has been done. They say that fault has been rectified.

I already emailed GM throught their web site but they asked me to contact UAE dealer as they are the regional branch for the Persian Gulf.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I totally understand your frustration. My parents bought one of the first Audi 5000s that came to the states. Audi hadn't counted on the heat of the summer in Texas and the engine would burn. They went through two engines and ended up getting it lemoned.

Not having air is a pain. Have they totally replaced it? There are a couple of people from the Middle East who haven't posted problems with the air. Did the dealer say the extreme heat caused it or do they have a clue?

I've only heard of one other person who had bad MPG, I think they traded it in.

I'm sorry you are having such problems. Good luck.

Just read your latest post: you should ask if the air has been replaced and demand a new one if it hasn't. If it has more than twice, maybe a replacement car is in order.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Hatem said:
I do live in Qatar. It doesn't make any difference whether English is my second or third language. I am only concerned about my car's condition.
I believe this is understood now. In this country, we have a number of people that join forums/message boards to cause problems, either to attack the product, the members, or to try and sell something. They usually do not have a good command of the English language.

You guys may be luckier than me to have less troubles with your Acadia. I purchased the car after reading several opinions. I liked the car's spacious space and some other options provided, in addition to the reputation of GM products which I would expect a good quality product.
I've replied to this type of situation before. The active membership (those that have more than 1 or 2 posts) here consists of a very small percentage of overall Acadia production. If every registered member (a far larger number) had these types of problems with their vehicle, it would only represent perhaps 3 percent of the total vehicles made. Statistically, that means out of every 100 vehicles made, 97 of them are problem-free as your 2004 Camry has been. Incidentally, the "I'm disappointed with the Acadia or GM because of recurring problems and will never buy one again" ownership in my estimate is probably fewer than 12 members in the past year that I've been here.

But what would you guys do when you find such repeating problems with almost a brand new car?
The AC problem seems to be repeating in high temp. climate. When I send the car to GM dealer, they rectify the fault and the AC works fine for 2 or 3 months until it passes thru another high temperature climate for several days then i face the same problem again.
I already emailed GM through their web site but they asked me to contact UAE dealer as they are the regional branch for the Persian Gulf.
There is only so much an owner can do. One of our new owners here recently had a fuel pump fail with very low miles and felt the same way you do. A new vehicle will usually not have these types of problems, but there is no guarantee it will not regardless of who makes it. A warranty means the maker will fix it if it does. Your options based on location are fewer than those of one where there are several outlets for warranty service. If you have the same problem over and over, depending on the location, the car maker can be required to perform a buyback. This is known as a lemon law in most places, since a "lemon" is slang for a defective product that cannot be repaired. Since I have no knowledge of the laws in Qatar or the GM policy for this on exported vehicles, you would need to investigate this further in your country via your government or a representative from GM management.

It could be the same mechanic works on your vehicle every time and does not know how to properly service the system or is taking "shortcuts" that work for a while. This could be one reason why the same problem keeps arising.

I've found that it is easy for companies and elected officials to ignore emails. For some reason, they respond to a phone call or written letter where they will not to an email or Internet complaint. I would suggest getting the list of management from where the vehicle was purchased and start at the top in writing a letter documenting the problems and requesting satisfaction.

The car service was all done in timely basis in the local GM service center in Qatar. When I inquired about the high fuel consumption, they assured this is the normal rate of the car.
I use 97 Octane fuel and I don't drive at high speeds. (Maximum 60 m/h as per speed limits).
There is some type of problem to have fuel usage to the degree reported. You should see black smoke coming out of the tailpipe while driving and the vehicle would be running very poorly since at 10 MPG the vehicle would need to be burning fuel at twice the rate of one that is getting 20 MPG. Either that or the vehicle is idling or being driven at low speeds such as in a city much of the time. When a vehicle is idling, the MPG is zero. The dash or driver information center (called a DIC here) on most Acadias will tell you average MPG as well as average speed. I reset ours when I fill up with gas. If you are averaging 10 MPG, also look at the average speed. In the experience of a large majority of the owners here, 10 average MPG is not normal. As noted above by jsimms, are you also checking the mileage by how many gallons you are putting in against the number of miles being driven?

Now what am I supposed to feel after all this? Do I have to suffer under the hot and humid climate conditions because I am driving a faulty GM car?
I doubt anyone would be happy. You've tried to address the problems and since you have not had any success, it may indeed be a great idea to sell/trade the Acadia for another brand of vehicle if you cannot get satisfaction from the car maker. I've offered some advice that may or may not help.

One point I'm trying to make is that there is no guarantee that if you buy a 2010 Toyota, Nissan, Infiniti, Lexus, etc. that the same thing will not happen based solely on the nation of the manufacturer.

I think what concerns many members is a first post containing a blanket negative statement based on your experience with one vehicle such as:
I am gonna sell the car and never buy GM products again. I had Toyota Camry since 2004 and it is working without any single problem so far. I will stick in with japanese cars.
When we see this, are we supposed to draw the conclusion that "X" brand of vehicle is far superior to the Acadia/GM just because it is built in Japan? This is an illogical statement, as I illustrated by the Camry complaints.

If I join a Toyota Camry forum and my first post is how lousy the car is, I won't make many friends and will probably not get friendly responses if any... it is human nature. I'm pretty much universally detested on the RX-7 club forum since I have a Chevy motor in my RX-7. I've never said a bad word about the car or RX-7 motor there either.

I am aware of what had been posted by some Camry owners but I had better luck with my Camry.
This is what is known as a gratuitous statement. I can likewise gratuitously say I am aware of what has been posted by some Acadia owners but I've had better luck with my Acadia. It is not relative to the situation at hand.

We wish you the best of luck with resolving your problems. As noted by mckcab and also discovered by me when writing IP Address bans, we do have a number of members here located in the Middle East. It may be a good idea to try and locate some of them to see if they are experiencing any of the problems you have noted. While we do not have an international region board, if you post in the GMC Acadia section looking for other M.E. members you will probably get a response. It is difficult to determine where many members are located since they do not elect to provide this information.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Get a Toyota and live happily ever after.

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
Hatem said:
Answering some of questions ,

Gasoline prices here are : 0.21 $ for 97 Octane gas - 0.20 $ for 90 Octane gas.[/color]

I don't know if the agent replace the faulty part or just repair it. This is done under warrante. They don't tell what exactly has been done. They say that fault has been rectified.

I already emailed GM throught their web site but they asked me to contact UAE dealer as they are the regional branch for the Persian Gulf.
:angryfire:

I just paid $2.39 at Shell; oh wait my tank now has nitrogen enriched fuel; that explains the price markup

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
LOL 7 octane more for a penny. What a deal.

Imagine pulling in with speleos' 75 gallon Winnebago sucking fumes:
"Fill 'er up!"
"OK, that will be $15.75 for premium or $15.00 for regular."

Don't forget about those tax enrichments also. Unleaded gas for July delivery was going for $2.04/gallon on the commodity boards recently.

·
Super Moderator
22,011 Posts
Hatem said:
Gasoline prices here are : 0.21 $ for 97 Octane gas - 0.20 $ for 90 Octane gas.

I don't know if the agent replace the faulty part or just repair it. This is done under warrante. They don't tell what exactly has been done. They say that fault has been rectified ....
Hatem, are those the only octane alternatives available in Qatar? They seem a bit high. Try using the lower octane-rated fuel in your Acadia. You might notice a positive change in fuel mileage.

Here in the U.S., dealer technicians generally replace parts that fail on vehicles under warranty instead of "repair" them. There are coded operations on the repair order (RO) showing what was performed by the technician. You should be able to get the RO deciphered by your service writer so you can better understand what was done to your vehicle.

Gee bro', I hope Hatem is your name and not your attitude! ???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the advices.
First i would like to mention I did not log into this forum to cause problems, neither to attack the product or to try and sell something. I could have purchased another Japanese car where they performed very well in the local climate here in Qatar. I used to drive Toyota and Nissan vehicles throughout the years and never faced any serious problem with them. But I rather selected a GM product as i trusted GM with regards to quality.

I did owned a Jeep Cherokee and didn't face any major problem with it. It is not a matter of trying to give wrong imperssion about GM products. I am facing a problem that is unable to get solved whether it is the dealer's fault or due to a faulty product.
Such problem is considered a serious issue in such very hot climate in this region. (Temperature = 129 F).

I know the AC cannot operate efficiently in such extreme weather. But when the car gets repaired, i find the AC performing excellent cooling at all times.

If the issue is concerned with the local dealer in Qatar and its performance, then GM should pay attention to their worldwide dealers if they do care about maintaining their product's reputation.

·
Super Moderator
22,011 Posts
Hatem said:
I did owned a Jeep Cherokee and didn't face any major problem with it.
You lucked out on that one!

Hatem said:
If the issue is concerned with the local dealer in Qatar and its performance, then GM should pay attention to their worldwide dealers if they do care about maintaining their product's reputation.
That is very true. Does GM even have a training facility in Qatar or the Gulf region? Or, are the GM technicians "imported" from the EU or somewhere else? That could have an effect on how the company is represented in your region.
:)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hatem said:
Thank you all for the advices.
First i would like to mention I did not log into this forum to cause problems, neither to attack the product or to try and sell something. I could have purchased another Japanese car where they performed very well in the local climate here in Qatar. I used to drive Toyota and Nissan vehicles throughout the years and never faced any serious problem with them. But I rather selected a GM product as i trusted GM with regards to quality.

I did owned a Jeep Cherokee and didn't face any major problem with it. It is not a matter of trying to give wrong imperssion about GM products. I am facing a problem that is unable to get solved whether it is the dealer's fault or due to a faulty product.
Such problem is considered a serious issue in such very hot climate in this region. (Temperature = 129 F).

I know the AC cannot operate efficiently in such extreme weather. But when the car gets repaired, i find the AC performing excellent cooling at all times.

If the a/c works properly when it is returned to you and then fails after 3000/6000/9000 miles I wonder if the problem is a leak and they are just topping off the freon. Just an idea. What does the work order say they found bad?

Bobby

·
Premium Member
14,870 Posts
DeForger said:
If the a/c works properly when it is returned to you and then fails after 3000/6000/9000 miles I wonder if the problem is a leak and they are just topping off the freon. Just an idea. What does the work order say they found bad?

Bobby
Nice catch DeForger; I hadn't thought of that issue

·
Registered
614 Posts
Our Acadia A/C seems to take a long time to cool the vehicle, but it is a larger interior, and the dealer tested it and said it blows out at 47 degrees which is normal. Our dark interior & crimson paint may help absorb the heat, which would make it take longer to cool.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
We've had some back to back 100-101 degree days, and Mrs. Blue had the Acadia on a trip in S. Florida where it was even hotter. She remarked how much she liked the AC system coupled w/ the cooled seats and remote start. Ours is dark blue and has the ebony interior, so we are almost in the same boat. She is far better than any thermometer as a gauge :). She didn't like the AC in our 2001 Durango compared to the 1998 model she had (less airflow due to dash redesign I think), but really likes the Acadia.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts