GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a disc read error last night on my NAV. Something with the dvd read. Anyways, I took out the cd to see if that was the problem, it wasnt. So I took out the map disc, checked for scratches(none), and put it back in. Problem solved. Has anyone else ran into that problem before. Maybe nothing, who knows?

·
Registered
46 Posts
We just got that today. When we started the car up to go to lunch, it said "DVD read error" or something like that. However, it wouldn't let us eject the disk either (the eject button wasn't available). We finally ended up turning the car off, wait a second or two, then started it back up and the DVD loaded fine.

So given yours was hosed up, how did you get it to eject in the first place?

I'm using a copy of the original disk. These things are expensive and I didn't want to leave the original in the car, so I made a copy and we've been using that successfully up until the glitch today. It worked fine after the restart too.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Your NAV DVD disk can only get scratched if you remove the DVD. The optical part of the DVD doesn't touch anything while in the DVD player. So, there is not risk of scratching if you never remove the DVD. I can find no reason for removal, other than to replace with a newer NAV DVD.

A lot of people like to copy their movie DVD's to avoid scratching, but that really only applies due to removal/replacement that occurs with use in a video DVD player. That analogy doesn't apply to the NAV DVD - so the scratch concern is minimal to zero risk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jake_99 -- I think you missed the actual question, which was, "Has anyone else experienced the DVD read error problem with their Nav system?" And then, my additional question, "Given a DVD read error, how does one eject the DVD?"

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I turned off the system and turned it back on. Then I went to the NAV menu and just selected the eject. I suspect that it is a program error, especially since mine is an original DVD. It hasnt happened since, so I am not worried about it. On a side note, the backup DVD worked huh? I was wondering if that really does work. ;D

·
Registered
51 Posts
We've had the same problem as Schram about a half dozen times over the past 4 months. Each time either re-inserting the DVD or shutting off the car if the "eject" button wasn't available has fixed it. It's definitely annoying, especially if we're in a rush. Since the destination buttons aren't available when the car is moving, it means sitting in the driveway until the whole thing reboots. :banghead:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh, and not only that. Even if you don't plan to use the NAV, the entire radio is locked out by the "Disc Read Error" screen. :angryfire:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yah, i forgot about the fact nothing else worked. I wonder if the system is confused :confused:, "should I guide them or not"?

·
Registered
381 Posts
hgpayne said:
Jake_99 -- I think you missed the actual question, which was, "Has anyone else experienced the DVD read error problem with their Nav system?" And then, my additional question, "Given a DVD read error, how does one eject the DVD?"
My response was questioning the need to use a copy of the DVD. I wasn't addressing the original thread input. Just your previous response.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Jake_99 said:
hgpayne said:
My response was questioning the need to use a copy of the DVD. I wasn't addressing the original thread input. Just your previous response.
I think I stated earlier that I copied to prevent theft loss. I've heard (I could be wrong) that replacing the disk is expensive. I believe we do get a free upgrade (or two) but after that, it is $400 or so? I'd rather just use a backup in the car and if something were to happen to it, well, I'd make another copy and use that.

While our DVD was having its read error I was able to use the radio. Turning off the radio/nav system and turning it back on didn't help. We had to turn off the car and turn it back on to clear the error.

On yet another note, I'm annoyed by the fact it is disabled when moving. I realize it is a hazard if the driver is playing with it while moving, but what about a passenger? When we take off from work to go to lunch I'd like to be able to pull up the list of restaurants on the point of interest list just to get some ideas of places to go, while my wife drives in the general direction of the various restaurants. I could see where it would be real handy to be able to be driving cross-country and at say lunchtime, the front seat passenger could look for restaurants up ahead and then route us to one without the need of pulling off the freeway and parking somewhere first. In a rental with neverlost, it puts up a warning "the driver shouldn't be playing with this while driving" but then lets the system be used, assuming the occupants are doing so responsibly. I'd like that update. Go ahead, and give me a warning, but then let me use the system.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I recently experienced a disc read error on startup. The audio functions were still operable. I assumed that the cause was probably disc surface contamination, possibly due to oil from a finger smudge gradually attracting dust particles. When I ejected and cleaned the disc, all was fine again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We're getting the "Map DVD Read Error" about every other start up these days. Even when we don't get the error, it takes a long time for the thing to boot up. You can hear the disc whirring away as it tries to read.

We'll take it in in a couple of weeks. I'm guessing we'll need a new head unit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My wife is having the same issue. She took it in and they replaced the head unit and the DVD and still the same thing. She is also getting a bad delay with the navi. The automated voice is slow or misses turns and she said if you push any of the bottons that it takes for ever to load.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took my car to the GM Dealer aafter having this problem for a month now!

The dealer said that they had to order an update disk for the DVD NAV. 7-10 Days away coming from the US.

Heres hoping this works :-\

Simon R

Schram said:
I got a disc read error last night on my NAV. Something with the dvd read. Anyways, I took out the cd to see if that was the problem, it wasnt. So I took out the map disc, checked for scratches(none), and put it back in. Problem solved. Has anyone else ran into that problem before. Maybe nothing, who knows?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So here is the update. on the reprogramming of the radio

to check your version of the current software in the radio
-put the radio on the FM tab
-press the menu button and seek up button at the same time
this will show your software version in the Radio
Mine was 100E xxxXXXXXxxxxx v11.XX

the new software disk updates this to 100F xxxXXXXXXxxxxx V11.XX
the important part is the 100F part.

this software update still did not work so the car is back at the dealer for the day. :(

srizzardo said:
I took my car to the GM Dealer aafter having this problem for a month now!

The dealer said that they had to order an update disk for the DVD NAV. 7-10 Days away coming from the US.

Heres hoping this works :-\

Simon R

·
Registered
59 Posts
srizzardo said:

What year Acadia do you have? (Please setup your signature)

·
Registered
75 Posts
srizzardo said:

to check your version of the current software in the radio
-put the radio on the FM tab
-press the menu button and seek up button at the same time
this will show your software version in the Radio

this software update still did not work so the car is back at the dealer for the day. :(
The nav unit will only get the "dvd map read error" message if the disc is excessively dirty or scratched. If it's clean/unscratched, and you're getting the error message, it almost definately means the laser reader inside the radio that reads the disc needs replacing. If I understand correctly, it will never give the "map dvd read error" for an update, so getting an updated nav disc will NEVER fix this problem. I have read that the laser readers burn out quite frequently in these units. The best way to fix this (in my opinion) is to send the head unit in & get this laser reader replaced. I have also read that when they replace the laser reader they replace it with better quality parts than what was originally in the unit from the factory. I am currently in this same situation with my Acadia's nav unit. I have found that most places charge right around $300 to fix/replace the laser reader. I am planning on doing this in the very near future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts