GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have reached an impasse with GMC on my problems towing the Acadia behind our motorhome. Following the instructions in the owners manual for "Recreational Towing" does not work - the battery goes dead after several hours. Even the dashboard lights stay on when the specified fuse is removed. GMC now says the negative battery terminal must be disconnected and you know how they have hidden the battery away under the floorboards. You need tools to get the cover off and tools to disconnect the terminal, so that is not practical at all.

I asked that GMC provide some sort of fix that would allow me to do whatever is needed with no more effort than the incorrect procedure given in the manual. They asked the dealer I'm working with (not the selling dealer) if they could modify it and the dealer tech said no, but he recommended a place that "probably could", The GMC rep said that they wold NOT pay for that under warranty and I was on my own. I protested that I had been mislead both verbally and in writing (the owner manual) before and during the sale, and she basically said "Sorry 'bout that". The conversation went downhill from there.

I'm really upset with GMC's cavalier attitude about this - they've already got my money so tough ___! I'll be writing the company execs to try to get their attention - does anybody have a contact address for the division president? Everything I can find takes me right back to the Customer Assistance Center and them's the folks that already told me to get lost!

Meanwhile, if you were planning to tow your Acadia behind a motorhome, forget it or start working on your own wiring fix.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Just off the top of my head I would try this.

Go to any marine store and you can get battery terminals that are easy to remove. you would need to cut off the old terminal connectors on the wires and then crimp on the new loop ends. I put these on an old van I use to drive years ago. You would only need to change out one of the wires and connectors. The access panel is another story, but at least you could disconnect the battery easily. I'll get a picture for you so you can see what I mean.

Here you go. Just go down the page a little and you will see the one I mean. It has a wing nut on it.
http://www.solarseller.com/battery_post_extension__marine_terminal_by_quick_cable_.htm

·
Registered
524 Posts

The terminal is above and the connector is below.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I haven't looked yet, but I believe this will be a side post battery. Just about all modern American cars are. And I don't want to cut off the factory ends if I can avoid it. I'm pretty sure I recall sidepost adapters too, but the real issue is to install a battery switch somewhere that I can get at it without unbolting the floorboards. Don't want to have to tear up the back seat every time we hitch the car up - that's often an every day affair when we are traveling.

The tech at the GMC dealership thinks that I can put a disconnect switch under the hood, where the positive terminal feess the underhood fuse box. That's about the same as pulling all three of the BATT fuses in the underhood fuse box - might do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We wish we had been aware of "don't try it" when it comes to dingy towing our brand new Acadia. We came to our destination "dead on arrival" and discovered like you did that towing is much more complex than we were lead to believe. Both the company and dealer have politely said we are on our own. There is a supplement to the owner's manual that came out on May 22 which the dealers are unaware of (unless they scan for updates) that warns about this problem. We are absolutely sick about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would think it would be a simple matter to install a battery cut off switch in the GROUND side of the battery with the switch mounted under the passenger seat. All you would loose is the remote unlock and maybe your radio settings. Turn it off when towing and then back on upon arrival. I use them all the time in Fire and Police vehicles, Cole Hersee is the good brand to look for. Most RV and marine stores will have them in stock. If you put it in the ground side of the battery you won't have to worry about shorting the + side of the battery to chassis.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know too much about RV dinghy towing but I have added second batteries to both cars and boats. In my boat, I just used an A-B switch which allows selecting either one battery or the other, both batteries in parallel or neither battery. What if you used a switch like that and instead of using two batteries in the Acadia, feed one side of the switch from the Acadia's battery and the other side from the RV through the 12 Volt on the 7 Lug RV plug? You could isolate the Acadia's battery when towing and still have power from the RV if you need or want it. You can get the switches for $20 or so at any marine store or some of the bigger sporting goods stores with boating sections. You can get the wiring from any auto parts store. It's not difficult to hook up. They also have an alternator shunt to protect the alternator if you mistakenly switch it to OFF while under power. Altogether, I can't imagine the parts costing more than $50-100 if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We also found after dropping a fuse and losing it that the dealers don't even know that these are low profile mini-fuses and don't carry them. We had to order them on line out of New York. So hold on tight to your fuses while pulling them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The A-B switch is a good idea. I've been leaning towards installing a 15-20A charge line from the coach and including an A-B switch in the circuit makes a lot of sense. It would be real easy if the Acadia battery weren't buried under the back seat.

I'm getting a 10A charger from LSL Products (the Toad Charge) to replace the 5A version I have already, so will try that first. The 5A version is insufficient to do the job, but 10A might be enough.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I sent GMC an email about this issue two days ago. I got a telephone call today from a lady wanting additional information. She said she would call the dealer ::) Of course the dealer's service manager had not heard of the problem, but, he is going to research it. She actually called me back with that info and gave me her direct telephone number. She is suppose to call me again tomorrow. We'll see what happens. I anxious to see if the 10 amp charging unit will work. Please keep us informed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The lady rep that I talked to got the local dealer on the phone ans asked if he could modify our Acadia "to make the battery more accessible" [her words]. The dealer declined to modify the vehicle but said there was a shop in town that could do that for us. The GMC rep said GMC would not pay for outside modifications and would not discuss the issue any further with me. Had the dealer said "yes" and then subcontracted the work I would probably be OK, but [in my opinion] the misunderstanding and poor description of the problem by the GMC rep lead to a total denial by GMC of any responsibility for the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody know who to contact at GMC to go higher than the service rep ? In our recent travels we've called lots of local dealers and none of them are aware of any of this. There have to be people put there still buying these cars for towing without a clue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The GM rep got back to me today and advised me GM and the dealer had not heard of this problem and therefore there was no solution :angryfire: Anyway she is sending me a comp oil change. Now then.....what do we do? :banghead: She did give me her Name and Phone number so I guess everybody with the problem could call her and complain. At least she couldn't say she had never heard of the problem before. Anybody interested in the name and phone number please PM me and I'll send it to you.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been trying to find a name & address for the GMC division president so I can write to let him/her know how displeased I am about this but they seem to keep that information well-hidden. Everywhere I look I get referred to the Customer Assistance Center - the same folks who already told me "sorry" and that their answer is "GM's final word". The best I can come up with is GM's corporate HQ in the Renaissance Center in Detroit - guess I'll have to write to the Chairman of the Board [G. Richard Wagoner, Jr] and see if HE knows who to contact at GMC!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Try the investor information- the reports should list all the officers.

·
Registered
395 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They list corporate officers and major shareholders, but division presidents are "mere" operating unit managers and there is no legal requirement to identify them. Apparently GMC thinks they should be shielded from their customers as well. ::)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts