GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for my Roadmaster crossbar base plates to arrive from etrailer.com so I will be able to flat tow (Dinghy) my Acadia. It seems that the older models of the Acadia have had dead battery issues. My manual pages 359-362 directs me to prepare the Acadia by lifting the shift lever boot and releasing the manual release button and shifting the transmission into N (Neutral). There is nothing written about activating the electrical system so I do not understand how the battery would drain. I wonder if there is a steering wheel lock and if so how would it be released? It seems to me that I could run the SUV in N (Neutral) and let it idle while towing it and avoid any issues. I have a friend that has done this with another type of vehicle without any problems. Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. KB

·
Super Moderator
21,313 Posts
Battery draining on older model years is due to the ignition key being placed in the ACC/ON position while towing. This key position puts a drain on the battery and also unlocks the steering column. That's nothing to be a considered with the 2019's keyless ignition. If there is a steering column lock on the 2019, it should be discussed in a separate section of the owners manual. Couldn't find that section when I looked at the 2019 Acadia manual - there is one in my XT5 manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You, Speleos,
I thought that might be the case. I will jack up the front of my Acadia and turn the steering wheel to check for a wheel lock with the weight off the front wheels. I am planning a Youtube on setting up the Acadia for towing following the owner's manual instructions.

·
Super Moderator
21,313 Posts
I'll wait for summer reruns to watch the video. LOL My Acadia was loaded on a trailer to tow it behind my MH. I'm not a fan of dinghy towing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did you tow your 2019 Acadia with four down yet? We are getting ready to do the same thing and wondering what you found out. I also noticed nothing about leaving the ignition in acc, etc. so it suggests there is no steering column lock. Nothing in the manual about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello RickR51
Yes, we "toad" the Acadia back from southern Illinois to central Florida and had no problems. There is no steering lock. I operated the steering with the engine off and while it was on jack stands for verification.

As per the Acadia manual, I released the transmission boot and inserted an Allen wrench into the indicated hole to release the shift lever lock, and moved it to neutral. The boot is challenging to release and I had better luck pulling up on the front of the boot as opposed to the rear as indicated in the manual. The ignition is off during this process so be sure to count the "clicks" from park back to neutral as you will not get the indication on the dash.

We used a Brake Buddy and had to use a spare battery and wiring to supply 12 volts to the Brake Buddy. I will run a 12 volt to the Brake Buddy from a line that is "hot" with the ignition off. Has anyone done this on their Acadia who will share their modification with me?

I was seriously considering towing the Acadia with the engine idling and the transmission in neutral but it is still in warranty and that is not the factory procedure. I have not wired the Acadia lights yet and ran my magnetic lights with the wiring along the right roof rail. down the windshield post, and then under the hood to the front bumper and then to the motorhome. I will also run a charging line to the car battery from the motorhome to keep the Acadia battery charged while towing and using the Brake Buddy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great news. I have the RV3 brake and have wired a socket directly to the battery so I have power whether the car is on or not for it. I wired the lights with the diode kit and they work well. I also used 12v from the motor home to the Acadia battery with a circuit breaker in between. I was wondering why the manual didn't talk about leaving the ignition on so this helps a lot. Our friends have a Equinox and they have a routine which includes have ignition on to tow theirs. Again, thanks!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Done now. The mechanical part was easy, finding out all the right knowledge was a pain. LOL

·
Registered
2018 Acadia Denali 2005 Bounder Diesel
4 Posts
RickR51 - Thank you for your post on towing your 2019. May I ask you to share more info? Having just traded my 08 Envoy for a new to us 18 Acadia Denali I'm trying to learn all I can about flat towing the Acadia prior to actually doing so. The manual states attach the vehicle to the motor home before putting it in neutral, how does one tell it's actually in neutral? With the Envoy I could move the shifter and see that it didn't move or move the truck by pushing it. Also, nowhere have I found instructions on how to re-engage the transmission once disconnected from the motor home. Love the Acadia, what an improvement on the Envoy. Still trying to figure out how to remove the hitch cover to access the hitch, any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
21,313 Posts
... Still trying to figure out how to remove the hitch cover to access the hitch, any suggestions?
Read the response to your comment in the other thread where you posted a similar query.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have towed it several times now. A lot easier than a lot of our friends TOWD. Very simple to hook up and slide to neutral. I did put some white fingernail polish to mark where neutral is so I don't miss. Car tows great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the great tip on marking the neutral position. May I ask some other questions? Must you hold the button down when shifting into neutral or push the button then move the shift lever? Did you then reinstall the boot ? Does it only require placing the shift lever in park to re-engage the tranny? I've towed behind the MH for 15 yrs but this is my first with this transmission. Don't want to screw it up. Also my apologies to the moderator about the hitch cover.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starting to tow a 2017 Acadia (new style) and my manual has the opening shifter boot and releasing the white lever to shift to neutral. That works fine. But I realized there might be an easier way. How about just starting car in park (as normal), shift to neutral, and shut it off? This works and leaves car in neutral. I haven't towed it after this procedure, just wondered if any one knew why this would be a bad idea ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the great tip on marking the neutral position. May I ask some other questions? Must you hold the button down when shifting into neutral or push the button then move the shift lever? Did you then reinstall the boot ? Does it only require placing the shift lever in park to re-engage the tranny? I've towed behind the MH for 15 yrs but this is my first with this transmission. Don't want to screw it up. Also my apologies to the moderator about the hitch cover.
Once you push the button down and move the shift lever it's loose. I just move it down to neutral and its good to go. I just leave the boot loose. It sits on the top easily. Once you are there you just push it back to Park to start it up. It won't start unless its back in park.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks RickR51. Just want to have all the knowledge I can gather to ensure a problem free experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts