GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First I have a 2008 Acadia SLE package- standard rearveiw mirror
I purchased off of Ebay a dimming rearveiw mirror from a 2007 Outlook.
Almost Everything works fine on the mirror- the compass is really nice to have. The only thing I can not get to work is turning off the dimming mirror operation. I have checked owners manuals for 2007 Outlooks and 2008 Acadia's and it states to press the on/off button to turn it off. All it turns off though is the compass. If I press it again the compass comes back on.
So how do you turn off the dimming mirror short of going in reverse?
Thanx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keith,
Thanx for the response. Since the mirror was something I got off of Ebay I wanted to make sure it was working correctly.
Thanx again

·
Registered
681 Posts
Page 140 of the 2007 Acadia manual:

Automatic Dimming Mirror Operation
The automatic dimming mirror comes on each time
the ignition is turned to start. To turn the
automatic dimming feature off or back on, press
the on/off button. The indicator light on the mirror is
lit when the automatic dimming feature is on.

Compass Operation
Press the on/off button once to turn the compass
on or off.
There is a compass display in the window in the
upper right corner of the mirror face.
--------------------------------------

By reading this you would have to assume that if the compass is off then the dimming feature is off since they use the same on/off button - this is not very well thought out for those that want to use the compass but shut off the auto dimming function.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Try holding down the on/off button to turn off the dimming. Press once to turn off compass, hold down to turn of dimming. I have the regular sle mirror so I'm not sure if this will work, just a thought.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Excuse the ignorance but why would we want to turn off the auto-dimming feature? I've never had the need or desire to do that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
zman said:
Excuse the ignorance but why would we want to turn off the auto-dimming feature? I've never had the need or desire to do that.
Because it's extremely annoying? I hate this feature. In my old car, I would turn it off each time I started the car. It seems, the Acadia works the same way, that it turns itself back on, each time you start the car.

I purposely did not get the Auto Dimming mirror, even though you lose the compass, also. I wish these two features weren't tied together.

·
Registered
468 Posts
stiffi said:
zman said:
Because it's extremely annoying? I hate this feature. In my old car, I would turn it off each time I started the car. It seems, the Acadia works the same way, that it turns itself back on, each time you start the car.

I purposely did not get the Auto Dimming mirror, even though you lose the compass, also. I wish these two features weren't tied together.
Got it. I thought it was maybe certain situations rather than a general dislike.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Johnway,
If you hold down the on/off button all that happens is the compass turns off and if you hold it long enough a number will show up to what area of the US your compass is set to. Comes from the factory as 8 since that is where the plant is located.
So it seems you can not turn off the dimming. Seems like they wrote the manual before they really knew what they had. Does not surprise me really.
The reason I was looking to turn it off is after it dimmed once driving at night I finally realized that it dims to a really dark shade. Other GM vehicles I have had with a dimming mirror did not seem to go that dark. Could also be that the inside of the Acadia at night is really dark to begin with because of all the dark tinted glass

·
Registered
468 Posts
This may be a long shot but...

I was really unhappy with the autodimming mirror on my wifes Enclave because it was waaaay too dark. It took me a couple of days to realize that she had covered up the ambient light sensor on the back of the mirror with her parking permit for work. Once the sensor was no longer exposed to total darkness it was much better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Zman,
What side of the back of the mirror is the ambient light sensor?
I am thinking its on the left as you look at the front (onstar buttons)???

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know it is on the side of the mirror that faces forward, away from the actual reflective mirror surface. If I recall correctly it is on the drivers side. So if you are sitting in the drivers seat it would be on the left hand side of the mirror, facing away from the driver. If you slide your hand back there you can feel a slight recess that holds the sensor.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well first want to say thanx to all who wrote in on this subject.
I got the auto dim to turn off. You just have to hold the on/off button for alot longer than I thought you should- 4 secs. or so. When you first press the button the compass goes off and then a couple of seconds later the green led goes out(lefthand side of mirror) and the compass comes back on.
Zman I to have a parking pass attached to my mirror but it does not impeded the sensor- thanx for the heads up though.
I guess it will just take some getting used to- how dark it is.
Thanx again everyone

·
Registered
25 Posts
On the mirror in my outlook there is a small dot near the top center of the mirror. I believe that is the sensor. I also think the mirror only dims when light hits it from headlights behind you. I don't think it senses ambient light.
I know this to be true on previous vehicles with auto dimming mirrrors.

I'll have to check this out closer as I like the way they work and therefore don't pay much attention to when they dim.

The outside auto dimming mirror was on my requirements list for a new car and luckily the Outlook had it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks djkson for asking this question. My auto dimming mirror was also too dark and I prefer not to have it but I love having the compass. I tried the press and hold technique and it worked perfectly. I can now use the compass without the autodimming.... :cheers:
Key1

·
Registered
25 Posts
djkson,
Thanks for the link. It confirms what I have been seeing. The link says the ambient light sensor "signals the mirror to begin looking for glare". It does not dim the mirror.
Last night I checked it out on our dark street. I put my Outlook in reverse and sat there, comparing right and left exterior mirrors and the inside mirror. The only light was from the back up lights.
The view between the two outside mirrors had no discernable difference of brightness. The inside mirror was only slightly dimmer, due to the darkened rear window.
Interesting that the inside mirror triggers/adjust the outside driver mirror.

However it works, I think the auto dimming of the drivers side and inside mirrors is one of my favorite options

·
Registered
5 Posts
Holding the far left button(power button) down for 5 to 10 seconds turns off the auto dimming feature but leaves the compass on for as long as the ignition is on.If you turn off the vehicle,you have to press and hold the power button on the mirror again.This works on my Outlook anyway.Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts