GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 07 that has battery issues that dealer and I are trying to work out. I know others on here have electrical/battery issues as well. It seems the 08 owners are not having them. Could be too soon to tell, or could be, they made some changes in the manufacturing process. ie: Different battery than the 07's, more amp. output in the alternator etc. Just wondering. My 07 is getting a new battery tomorrow and just wondering if the 08's had same batteries.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ok, I took the cover off and checked the battery in my 08 Acadia. It is exactly the same as the battery shown
in the Tech Section faq, so it appears that no changes were made with the battery itself between 07 and 08
models.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer to my long ago question. :) I have a new battery now. It was replaced with exact one that came out. The service department wanted to put in a heavier duty battery but GM wants to use exact same one. :angryfire:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I don't KNOW that it's relative, but the old lead-acid batteries would emit hydrogen gas as part of the charging process. Since the battery is now located in the passenger compartment, I suspect a special battery is needed...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I doubt it. I've had many instances when I could not get my brand new 2008 SLT2 to start!
I had the vehicle for only three weeks the first time that this happened, and it has currently been towed to the shop three times. The vehicle will be two months old on Nov. 21st. The technicians have told me that is was delivered with a "bad" battery that was replaced, but I have still been unable to get the vehicle started on four separate occasions since then. Sometimes it will run when started using the autostart, but once it shuts off, I can't get it to restart even when trying manually. Currently, they are trying to convince me to take the vehicle since they can start it and cannot find a problem. If anyone has any information for me, I would be grateful. I'm really frustrated and am thinking about returning the vehicle under the lemon law regulations. :help:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SR: When was your car built? If you have had it in for 3 fixes and tney can't get it fixed contact GM customer service and ask them how they want to handle this and that you are considering lemon law at this point. You have to document your repair history through GM customer service to get results, I have found.

·
Registered
7 Posts
vic49 said:
SR: When was your car built? If you have had it in for 3 fixes and tney can't get it fixed contact GM customer service and ask them how they want to handle this and that you are considering lemon law at this point. You have to document your repair history through GM customer service to get results, I have found.
We placed the order for the car the middle of August and I believe that the build date was very soon after that. It was delivered to the dealership here on Sept. 17 and I drove it home four days later.

I finally picked up the vehicle today after meeting with the owner and the service manager and getting them to agree that if the problem occurs again, they will take the vehicle back and provide assistance through GM to replace it. I'm hopeful that I will not having anymore issues starting the car, but I'm still interested in knowing whether others are experiencing this issue with their '08's

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the '08 outlook built in July purchased in September and I have not had any battery issues. However this does concern me as I am located in NJ and it is just starting to get cold and I understand batteries have more issues when it is cold. From your email address it appears you may be located in Alaska (SRDavis)? Do you think the cold is playing a role?
Key1

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, I am surprised to hear the 08's are having the battery issues. Especially made in Aug or Sept. I would think by now they would have rectified this problem. This is one of the reasons they replaced my Jan. 07 with the Oct. 08. Hopefully I won't have the same problem again. :-[ We will see.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I purchased an '08 that was built in July '07. I already have 12k miles on it and my battery has never missed a beat. In fact, I use my vehicle as an office and constantly use the accessory position while parked and making phone calls. I also START my car AT LEAST 12 times per day because of all of the sales calls that I make. No problems here. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My 2008 was also built in July. Only time will tell, but after 8 weeks and 2000 miles, mine has started each time. It typically will sit for 4 or 5 days, and then be started. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though, and I just knocked on wood too!! :angel:

·
Registered
7 Posts
key1cc said:
I have the '08 outlook built in July purchased in September and I have not had any battery issues. However this does concern me as I am located in NJ and it is just starting to get cold and I understand batteries have more issues when it is cold. From your email address it appears you may be located in Alaska (SRDavis)? Do you think the cold is playing a role?
Key1
Yes, I am in Alaska, but we have not been experiencing extremely cold temperatures as of this date. Temps have been hovering in the mid to high 20's. Regardless, I was assured by the technicians and mechanics who worked on my Acadia that the cold weather was not a factor. If that is the case, GM will really have a problem on their hands, considering that this vehicle has become very popular here since it hit the market! I'll continue to withhold judgment on whether the cold temps are affecting the battery when it drop another 10 degrees, if it (the battery) lasts that long this time around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bump.

Came home to Wisconsin last night to find the battery dead on my '08 Outlook. Had to get the people at the airport to give me a jump to get home. As far as I could tell I didn't leave any lights on or anything. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer this week. Very disappointing, but it did start right up this morning in my garage.

·
Registered
263 Posts
tk421 said:
Bump.

Came home to Wisconsin last night to find the battery dead on my '08 Outlook. Had to get the people at the airport to give me a jump to get home. As far as I could tell I didn't leave any lights on or anything. Guess I'll be making a trip to the dealer this week. Very disappointing, but it did start right up this morning in my garage.
I have seen more people talk about dead batties...I'm guessing with all the stuff/accessories, there must be wires crossed draining the battery. I sure hope mine doesn't do that. It's too bad that there isn't a breaker box in your car to switch everthing off so there isn't any power going to anything. Ya, I know that sounds lame, but when your already late and have to attatch the stupid battery charger to your car just to leave, a switch doesn't sound that bad if they can't figure out the issue. What do I know, I'm just a woman?? 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
One of the reasons for upgrading our old SUV to a new Acadia is reliability, and threads like this one are shaking my confidence on the eve of placing the order. Speaking as a licensed professional electrical engineer with 45 years of experience, failure to resolve (or even identify) this battery issue after more than a year of production is simply inexcusable. Electrical gremlins are no longer acceptable in an "exotic" sports car, let alone a "family truckster" where utility and dependability are its stock in trade. Since GM has just announced another reduction in labor force, may I suggest that they start with the (so-called) engineers who are responsible for this mess.

Sorry for the tirade, but I am fiercely proud of my profession and of American know-how, and this struck a very sensitive nerve. I hope someone at GM is listening.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
KarolsAcadia said:
I have seen more people talk about dead batties...I'm guessing with all the stuff/accessories, there must be wires crossed draining the battery. I sure hope mine doesn't do that. It's too bad that there isn't a breaker box in your car to switch everthing off so there isn't any power going to anything. Ya, I know that sounds lame, but when your already late and have to attatch the stupid battery charger to your car just to leave, a switch doesn't sound that bad if they can't figure out the issue. What do I know, I'm just a woman?? 8)
Funny you should mention though KA...my father-in-law had EXACTLY THAT installed on his old Cadillac! When he's not planning to use it, he opens the hood and literally turns the battery off to prevent the slow drain that apparently exists!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Traclavelook said:
KarolsAcadia said:
Funny you should mention though KA...my father-in-law had EXACTLY THAT installed on his old Cadillac! When he's not planning to use it, he opens the hood and literally turns the battery off to prevent the slow drain that apparently exists!

HA! So I'm not as crazy as I thought(or look ;) ). Thanks for making me feel smart Traclavelook. :cheers:

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are smart Karol, but after being married to an auto enthusiast for many years I'm accustomed to women who know their way around cars. The switches you envisioned are readily available; they are generally mounted right at the battery terminal or on the starter solenoid and disconnect the entire electrical system. We've installed them on several of our antiques not so much to save the battery but as a safety measure to in case a short circuit should develop in very old wiring. Unfortunately, modern cars have various electronic components that don't take kindly to having their power interrupted. The current drain from these is minimal, and we routinely store newer cars for several months during winter with no problem.

There are only two possible causes for the Acadia failures: (1) The batteries themselves are defective and would fail even if completely isolated, which I doubt. (2) The batteries are being drained by an electrical load that shouldn't be there. Twelve volt direct current doesn't flow thru thin air; it needs a clear path from the positive terminal of the battery through wiring and electrical components and back to the negative terminal. In any case, every possible path (intending unintentional "sneak circuits") should exist on the wiring diagrams and be identifiable by a good engineer. Furthermore, electrical current (even tiny fractions of amps) can be detected and measured by technicians in the field. With the number of failures being reported, it should be possible to install recording instruments in vehicles to catch a battery discharge "in the act" and identify the culprit.

Even our old Ford Expedition will prevent battery failure by detecting and disconnecting electrical drains when the engine isn't running - even if I do something as stupid as leaving the lights on. I thought Acadia had the same protection, but it obviously isn't working.

·
Registered
100 Posts
What do you think keeps that on-star going and providing those nice emails with vehicle diagnostics when it's parked in your garage. I think those of us who had the initial battery problems and the recall accomplished are not still having the problem. My guess is that the '08 had the recall already corrected on the production line which is why you probably don't see as many issues.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts