GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searches and came up with what I think are the main differences:

slightly more powerful engine, though I'm not sure if the higher rating came out before the new engine,
8 bolt vs 6 bolt trailer hitch.

Is there anything else that? higher capacity cooling?

TIA.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
max_stirling said:

slightly more powerful engine, though I'm not sure if the higher rating came out before the new engine,

TIA.
From everything that has been discussed in other threads. The extra towing capacity was only gained by the additional bolts to the trailer hitch bar. The change was made in middle of production, and was not affected by the engine or cooling systems from what I remember seeing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
max_stirling said:

TIA.
Well, I can add a little in here as the higher towing rating was imperative to when I bought my 09'. You are right about the more powerful engine for 09', but that was from the very start of the model year. As for the # of bolts, increasing, that was discovered to be a myth. The earlier years had 8 bolts as well, it's just that 2 of them are very hard to see unless you look just right. A source at GM told me that they added a "more robust" mounting of the hitch to the body, which he stated amounted to heavier bolts. And in another source, I think something was mentioned about slightly increased cooling, but I am not sure what exaclty that meant. And by the way, the higher towing capacity of 5200lbs. was implemented into production in late September 2009. Hope that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts