GMC Acadia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any concrete information as to whether or not GM has plans to stick a diesel in the Acadia - perhaps that new 2.9L 250hp/406lb-ft V6 that Cadillac announced at the Geneva Motor Show?

My only qualm about getting an Acadia (or possibly an Outlook) is the gas mileage, and I'd love to see a diesel push it up into the high 20s/low 30s, though I hope if they are going to stick a diesel in it, that they do it sooner rather than later, since I certainly don't want to wait until 2010.

·
Registered
128 Posts
MuddyZ said:
I build them everyday and i have heard no talk of a diesel, There is talk of a V8 option in the Buick but thats all i know.
Any idea of timing of the V8 talk. Mid 2008 option or a 2009+ option?

·
Registered
681 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Not sure if you would see low 30s MPG from a diesel. The Jeep Liberty, which is much lighter, barely sees 30MPG with it's diesel.

Where a diesel would be interesting though would be the ability to run biodiesel, and also to get increased torque from a small engine. With towing somewhat limited for the Acadia, a small block diesel would be very nice to get towing perhaps up to 6k lbs.

The hybrid on the other hand, I think that GM will likely move very quickly into putting the Volt platform into as many vehicles as possible. The Acadia platform makes perfect sense for that, with the high floors, there is a lot of room for batteries underneath the cabin. To go to a 1.8L generator, and full time electric, the Volt-platform Acadia could go to using about zero fuel for 90% of the users.I would expect by Acadia year 5, there will be a change in body design to accomodate that for year 6 or 7.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No diesel? That's a shame.

I really think GM should pursue a diesel route instead of a gas hybrid one. I've always thought of hybrids as duds (though the market evidently disagrees with me), as they carry around all that extra toxic battery luggage and use more expensive fuel than diesels.

Diesel, on the other hand, is more efficient - in terms of power (mmm torque) and mileage - and the engines seem to last longer. Then there's also the availability of alternative fuels: biodiesel, WVO, etc.

If GM is really in love with hybrids, then why not a diesel hybrid? It'd be loads beyond a gas hybrid.

Oh well. Here's to hoping they still choose to pursue a diesel route in the near future.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's strange- I always thought diesel was a lot cheaper during the past few years (although I never really paid attention, just was always given that impression). Lately I've checked out the comparison and it seems more expensive than gasoline.

Although a couple of years old, I thought this was a good read:

Diesel versus Gasoline
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2005/04-12/diesel-vs-gasoline-article.htm

·
Registered
269 Posts
With the Volt system, it won't matter what the fuel powered generator runs on. It could be fuel cell, diesel, gas, natural gas, or propane. Anything other than gas or diesel would be harder to find, and if it really is only used for under 20-30 miles for days at a time, then you could end up with fuel in the tank for months on end, and then I don't think you would want that as diesel.

One interesting thing about diesel, where it is becoming a little more common in some places like with Jeep, in others, it is being dumped for no good reason. My aunt drives and loves her Jetta diesel, getting 45 MPG. But where VW offers it overseas, as well as a diesel bug, and diesel Passat, they stopped offering the diesels in America. Makes no sense.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts