GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can those who test drove both vehicles share why they chose the Acadia over the Enclave? I keep hearing the Enclave is quieter and smoother. How much of a difference is there?

Any help and advice that you can offer is appreciated.

Rover

·
Registered
66 Posts
I drove them back to back and really didn't feel/hear much difference. They were only 20 minute drives over smooth roads, though.

I prefer the more conservative yet modern styling of the Acadia. Seems to have better visibility.

Acadia fits 4x8 materials in back.

Enclaves were rare in November. Most dealers around here didn't even have any. Acadias were relatively plentiful. Rare = no deals.

Wasn't sure if the HUD would be distracting but I was intrigued, it's now my favorite feature.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I like the looks of the Acadia better, and Buick has an old person car image. I know that might be changing, but most Buicks are driven by seniors.

·
Registered
487 Posts
big bear craig said:
I like the looks of the Acadia better, and Buick has an old person car image. I know that might be changing, but most Buicks are driven by seniors.
Aren't you an old guy?

·
Registered
294 Posts
The main reason we chose the Acadia over the Enclave was the interior. Both my wife and I didn't care for the wood treatment in the Enclave. My wife also said that she didn't want to dye her hair gray/light purple so that she could drive a Buick -- she said the only Buick that she would drive would be an '87 GNX! That being said, I really liked the perforated leather seats of the Enclave.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That of course is a loaded question on this forum; post the same question on the Enclave forum and you will get entirely different comments.

Why we chose the enclave.
1) 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is standard
2) Styling, interior & exterior (this always comes down to personal taste)
3) Better tires
4) If you live in Florida, Texas or California the FTC discount package which is the 19" chrome wheels and sunroof package has a $1,000 discount.
5) The sticker price on our CXL as listed below in my profile line was actually about $1,300 less than a similarly equipped STL-2 and had more features, such as steerable HID Xenon blue tint headlights.
6) Almost unbelievably quiet and smooth ride.

The Enclave is our third Buick and we miss the HUD. Unfortunately GM engineers to this point have not been able to make it display properly on the special sound deadening windshield in the Enclave.

As stated in one of the other post the Acadia depending on which model and equipment you want may be easier to find.

We have friends that have an Acadia STL-2 and they like it as much as we like our Enclave.

Buick over the years may have had an "old person" image but according to a poll on the Enclave forum most Enclave owners (on the Enclave forum at least) are in their thirties and forties. Things they are a changing!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Acadia is what got me on the dealer's lot as I drove by but it was the Enclave I ended up buying. Let me first say I have been buying Honda and Toyota products since I could purchase a new car. I'm 32 and an African-American male. I don't think I was the target audience for the Enclave and it makes me laugh when one of the biggest diggs about the Enclave is the OLD PERSONS image. I thought the Enclave looked better (just my opinion), longer warranty (leaving my trusty Honda & Toyota brands and I needed a little extra security in the reliability dept.), less truck like (some people want a truck like image), articulating HID lights, softer/luxurious feel inside, back up camera (Acadia didn't offer this option when I purchased my Enclave), better onstar coverage the first year and it looks better...I know I stated that earlier. If the Enclave was not available I would have gotten the Acadia or Outlook and would have been happy with either one of those vehicles. I don't know if the Enclave will change the image of Buick but I don't worry what other people think. I buy what's best for my family. My friends with the Lexus RX and Acura MDX have indirectly stated they wish they would have gotten the Enclave and saved thousands of $$$ in the process. I asked this question earlier, but I wonder how many early Acadia owners would have purchased the Enclave if it was available when they bought their Acadia?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I was orignally leaning towards the Acadia because I currently have a GMC but was enamored by the interior styling and advertised quieter ride of the Enclave. After trying both out I did like the Enclave a wee bit more and was leading towards the Buick but had an ephiphany when I saw the Enclave recently around town and realized it looked like a huge jelly bean to me (I know, my opinion).

So I will be ordering an '09 Acadia in the spring.

Too confirm a previous post, I was mildly surprise that an Acadia I priced out with the options I wanted (SLT2 w/o Nav and 19s) came a few hunder $ more than a smiliarly equipped Enclave. Content is of course different in various minor fashions but I always assumed the "up market" Buick would cost more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Looks aside--which can be the big factor for some--I've driven an Acadia, 2 Outlooks, and 2 Enclaves.

Thought the Acadia and Outlooks were VERY smooth and quiet...but first touch and ride in the Enclave was shocking. ZERO noise, felt smoother because of that, much nicer cloth seats (leather not really different), and it just felt shockingly different. Much more muted engine noise, as well, with only a distant hum.

I originally had my mother looking at an Outlook or Acadia, and we drove them (she had a Suburban). I could tell she liked them, but it wasn't an overwhelming "wow". Then had her look at an Enclave, and within the first spin around the dealer lot, she was in love. The quietness and smoothness, better cloth seats, ritzier feel, teal lighting inside, etc. all made her smitten.

So, having compared all 3, the GMC and Saturn are fantastic...but the Buick does come off as a ritzier package and is shockingly quiet and smooth STILL with the same suspension tuning, mostly, as the others, so it isn't necessarily softer, but the insulation and such make a big difference in feel.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Buick seemed quieter than both the Outlook and the Acadia. The wife said it rode a little better, but she didn't like the woodgrain. Maybe Michelins vs. Goodyears (both 19") was the difference. Anyway, the Buick dealer thought a "fair deal" was $1400 over invoice (and his vehicle was more expensive). We decided on the Acadia for $500 under. And of course the Saturn dealer wouldn't deal, and offered even less for the trade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I didn't test drive the Enclave, I was going to, but my son is over 6 foot tall and the roof line of the Enclave was shorter. didn't work well for us. Just thought I would throw that in.

Kay

·
Registered
284 Posts
silverbullet said:
I didn't test drive the Enclave, I was going to, but my son is over 6 foot tall and the roof line of the Enclave was shorter. didn't work well for us. Just thought I would throw that in.

Kay
It's a LITTLE slimmer back there, but not much, really. I'm 6'3" and still fit in nearly the same way as I did in the Saturn/GMC.

One thing's for sure. The GMC/Saturn, as I said, are great, but once the Buick hit the lot...the GMC really died down a lot further. As was the case with us, a lot of Enclave buyers, and others, people do back to backs, and immediately find the Buick's quiet, smoothness, and richer feel more worth the same cost.

Not everyone, of course, which is why there's an active Acadia forum here :thumb: But that has been the case, in a big way, since the Buick came out, which you can even ask any dealer about.

The Saturn turns a lot of people off right away because of the lack of dealers and no discounting (well, actually, many dealers will now...but not common), something at the same time turns many others on.

Rover said:
Can those who test drove both vehicles share why they chose the Acadia over the Enclave? I keep hearing the Enclave is quieter and smoother. How much of a difference is there?

Any help and advice that you can offer is appreciated.

Rover
The only way ANYONE can legitimately decide is to look at both, thoroughly, in and out, DRIVE each, look at different trims, etc. and see what "gets you" most. Just asking people really won't give you anywhere near the same effect...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Styling was a major factor. I know the Enclave is supposed to be the luxury/better looking version of the Lambda vehicles. It simply doesn't hold true (IMHO, of course) in this case.

When we were shopping for an SUV last time around, the luxury/looks component was a major factor. The difference in styling between a Lincoln Navigator and a Ford Expedition was huge (we got the Navigator) in spite of the fact that deep down they are the same vehicle. In addition to the styling, the Navigator had functional options (a power lift gate and power running boards) that the Expedition lacked (although, I believe the Expedition now has a powered lift gate).

The differences in styling between the Enclave and the Acadia, while somewhat significant, don't really favor the Enclave. I absolutely hate the grill; the wood treatment on the interior is terrible (I wasn't really a big fan of the wood treatment in the Navigator, either); and the shape of the rear end makes the vehicle look somewhat odd (I think someone referred to it as a jellybean on wheels ;D). This "odd" shape also shaves off a couple of inches in headroom for the third row occupants, which could be significant if you have tall friends or family members. When you look at available options, both vehicles are pretty much evenly matched, with the only differences being the Acadia does not have the headlights that turn and the Enclave does not have the HUD. Since we have all pretty much driven cars for years without the benefit of these options, one really has to have experience with them to be able to appreciate their value. My Vette has a HUD, therefore, I can appreciate the value of having this feature. In fact, if I had to narrow it down, the HUD was probably the feature that tipped the scale in Acadia's favor. Since I've never driven a vehicle with headlights that turn, I don't really see the benefit. The HUD, on the other hand, is quite useful. The Acadia's HUD is even more feature rich than the HUD on my Vette as it displays song titles when I'm listening to the radio and gives turn indicators when using the navigation system.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It's cheaper. SLE $3000 less than CX, but at same time SLE $1000 more than same equipment Saturn. So Acadia good value.

·
Registered
284 Posts
vad1819 said:
It's cheaper. SLE $3000 less than CX, but at same time SLE $1000 more than same equipment Saturn. So Acadia good value.
True, technically, aside from less features which makes the cost less. With an SLE, no DIC, no power liftgate, no sunroofs, no mirror signals, no HID, etc., etc.

That was another Enclave attraction for us. The base model isn't like the Acadia-Outlook as far as price, but you get a LOT more things because of it and can add a lot more options than either of those other two base models even allow.

Loaded, they're all very close in price. Starting at base and with a few things, they can be quite different, but so to are the equipment levels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
SEL said:
GM is going to accept orders for an '09 Acadia beginning this spring...? That seems a little hard to believe... Where did you hear that?

·
Registered
262 Posts
43sbest said:
That of course is a loaded question on this forum; post the same question on the Enclave forum and you will get entirely different comments.

Why we chose the enclave.
1) 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty is standard
2) Styling, interior & exterior (this always comes down to personal taste)
3) Better tires
4) If you live in Florida, Texas or California the FTC discount package which is the 19" chrome wheels and sunroof package has a $1,000 discount.
5) The sticker price on our CXL as listed below in my profile line was actually about $1,300 less than a similarly equipped STL-2 and had more features, such as steerable HID Xenon blue tint headlights.
6) Almost unbelievably quiet and smooth ride.
Isn't that same Luxury package discount available on the Acadia? I could've sworn it was...

·
Premium Member
3,212 Posts
JonTon said:
SEL said:
GM is going to accept orders for an '09 Acadia beginning this spring...? That seems a little hard to believe... Where did you hear that?
April 17th is the date (at least for now) when you can start ordering the '09s (Acadia, Enclave, or Outlook). Production start-up for them is set for June 16th.

·
Registered
956 Posts
coloradoGM said:
big bear craig said:
Aren't you an old guy?
Nope not a senior yet. I don't think the Enclave is a old persons car, but I think Buick's image leans that way.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts