GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course during the buy process we were offer various kinds of paint protection, undercoating and interior/seat protection. 5 items, $160 each or all 5 for $399. Did anyone get these, are they worth doing? We are still allowed to do them post sale since we bought without getting them, but I'm wondering if they're necessary. I've never owned a brand new car and don't know the rules.

Can they all be done after market by ourselves? Don't care about undercoating for reduced road noise, I don't think the Acadia is loud. Am wondering about paint protection and leather/interior protection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
They are offered for a reason: they will undoubtedly extend the life of your vehicle (or at least the aesthetic life of your vehicle). That being said, in my experience most people do just fine without them. In answer to your second question, I am unaware of any way to take care of them after-market. That's not to say that it can't be done, however. ;D

·
Registered
659 Posts
These are nothing but minor detailing operations. Some dealers make more on selling these impulse items than they make on the vehicle themselves.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I believe that most of these (probably not undercoating) are already done. They are just selling you an extended warranty for them (spill something that doesn't come out on the carpet, they will clean/replace the carpet).

I did not get them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he showed us some demo card of water spilling on untreated fabric/carpet vs treated with their stuff... soaked right in to the untreated side. We don't allow our kids to drink anything but water in vehicles, so I'm not worried about water spilling, but wondering about the value of it anyway. We plan to get the floor mats that loach got for winter, but it won't cover every single inch of carpeting. This car is so beautiful I can't stand the thought of dirt and grime everywhere, but we intend to keep it 7-10 years and I'm sure dirt/grime are going to happen. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with Gerry. They're generally overpriced and/or worthless. You'd be better off maintaining the interior and exterior yourself. It would be cheaper and you'd probably do it with more/better care than someone else. My wife once had a dealer apply an exterior protectant that cost a few hundred up front on a new car she bought from them. It was really nothing more than an overpriced wax job.

As for undercoating, this is the truly worthless one. To begin with, it is a relic that dates back to the days when bumpers and lower fender parts, the parts most likely to rust, were all steel. Nowadays, these areas aren't even metal. In addition, the undercoating has a sticky quality to it that actually attracts dirt and road grime, which then remains stuck to the car's undercarriage.

Back in the day when these parts were still metal, an old friend of mine got a job selling cars. I asked him if undercoating was legit or BS. He said he saw a few customers come back with rust wanting it fixed. The most they ever did was give them their money back just to have them go away.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You can do all of it yourself, aside from an extended warranty. An extended warranty I'd consider if you'll be keeping it a while, but even then, you can always buy these after the fact.

Otherwise, the paint protection is just a quick wax/sealant job by the detail crew--of which you can do a much better job yourself, with better stuff--the inside is usually Scotchguarded or gets some other protectant, again something you can do yourself. And, as far as undercoating, that's something that's also doable by someone else after the fact IF it's really necessary. Very, very few new cars out there are undercoated.

If the price is very reasonable on things like the fabric/carpet protection and undercoating, MAYBE, but otherwise, just say no :thumb:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with the others - do it yourself. I just received an order of Zaino products and applied them a few weeks ago. WOW! The polish looks fantastic!. Just like a mirror. So slick that you can't put anything on the hood cause it'll slide right off. There was also some interior products that were good for leather & dash etc.

My understanding is those dealer applied finishes will wear off over time just like anything else. Then your stuck with going back to them or doing it on your own.

As far as fabric treatment, get yourself a few cans of Scotchgaurd at Walmart and apply heavily. It's always worked for me.

For the extended warranty, shop around on the net, find your best price then take that into your dealer and see if they'll match it. Mine did.

·
Registered
284 Posts
mikiek said:
I agree with the others - do it yourself. I just received an order of Zaino products and applied them a few weeks ago. WOW! The polish looks fantastic!. Just like a mirror. So slick that you can't put anything on the hood cause it'll slide right off. There was also some interior products that were good for leather & dash etc.

My understanding is those dealer applied finishes will wear off over time just like anything else. Then your stuck with going back to them or doing it on your own.

As far as fabric treatment, get yourself a few cans of Scotchgaurd at Walmart and apply heavily. It's always worked for me.

For the extended warranty, shop around on the net, find your best price then take that into your dealer and see if they'll match it. Mine did.
DEAD on :thumb:

1) Detail yourself, or even have someone else do it. (better than the typical dealer spray wax for a few hundred dollars)
2) Scotchguard, etc. yourself. (same deal as when a dealer detailer does it quickly)
3) Shop around for an extended warranty, and though it can be rolled right into the equation if you get it immediately, you can also wait and shop later.

I actually start to wonder now just how many people DO say yes to certain "packages" made by dealers. Oddly enough, when we've bought new vehicles in both PA and then DE after moving, we've never even had such a thing brought up--only a question about interest in an extended warranty when signing the finance papers, but that's it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
caddy,

You're in Delaware? Whereabout?

I'm in Pike Creek. Got my Acadia at Nucar on Cleveland Ave. in Newark.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Waste of money in my opinion. Just a way for the dealer to make $$$$. Mine did not even offer these to me so obviously they are not essential

·
Registered
362 Posts
Keith said:
Waste of money in my opinion. Just a way for the dealer to make $$$$. Mine did not even offer these to me so obviously they are not essential
You know, I personally think that they look for a "sucker" (no offense to the OP) to try and peddle these useless addons to. I think they *have* to at least show them to you (and initial that you don't want them). That's basically what they did with us; showed us the offer and where to initial that we don't want them. I think that if they sense you might bite, they sell hard. Pure money in their pockets.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no offense taken, I probably look like a sucker, but my hubby definitely does not. They "had" to show us and then we initialled it. i think we got the demo because i looked so unsure.

·
Registered
362 Posts
bhpeters said:
no offense taken, I probably look like a sucker, but my hubby definitely does not. They "had" to show us and then we initialled it. i think we got the demo because i looked so unsure.
They probably get read the riot act if they don't get initials. Same thing when buying some electronics. When we bought our TV they made us initial to not get the extended warranty.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Can't help but feel like a walking advertisement for the delaership I patronize. Bought 3 vehicles from them and they have never tried to sell us worthless add-ons that involved the paint finish, undercoating or fabric protection. They've only ever gone so far as to ask if we were interested in purchasing extended warranty through the GM Protection Plan, but that is all. I don't recall having to sign or initial anything indicating that I wasn't interested, but that part I may have forgotten (?)

Nucar Buick Potiac GMC in Newark, DE. :thumb:

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just playing devil's advocate here....fabric protection IS a good thing. Why not have it done? Is it already done at the factory? Can it be done after market with a can of scotch guard? BTW - I am not a sucker!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I took ours to Ziebarts. They were cheaper that the dealership and had transferable lifetime treatment. They did the rust proofing, paint sealant, and interior treatment. Still cost a bit of money though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Mama2girls said:
Just playing devil's advocate here....fabric protection IS a good thing. Why not have it done? Is it already done at the factory? Can it be done after market with a can of scotch guard? BTW - I am not a sucker!!
That's just it. It *is* done at the factory. What they are selling is an extended warranty for it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yup...what I thought.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts