GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I blew it. I didn`t rotate my forteras on my 08 acadia until now at 38k miles. It`s my wifes vehicle and I just spaced it off. I started to hear a humm coming from the rear and decided to rotate. You guessed it. The humm is in the front now. My tire guy says they may wear in in 4 0r 5 thousand miles and stop humming. any experience with this out there? As some of you may have found out, forteras are the only 18`s out there and they are very expensive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
As some of you may have found out, Forteras are the only 18`s out there and they are very expensive.
We have an entire semi-lengthy thread about 18" replacement tires as a sticky in this section. When the time comes, you can save a few dollars by using another size (275/60 as I recall), as well as getting a larger selection from which to choose. A few members have done this and the reports have been positive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,875 Posts
Maddog2112 said:
Ok, I blew it. I didn`t rotate my forteras on my 08 acadia until now at 38k miles. It`s my wifes vehicle and I just spaced it off. I started to hear a humm coming from the rear and decided to rotate. You guessed it. The humm is in the front now. My tire guy says they may wear in in 4 0r 5 thousand miles and stop humming. any experience with this out there? As some of you may have found out, forteras are the only 18`s out there and they are very expensive.
If you read through the long thread, you will find there are some members that have not even gotten that many miles on a pair of forteras after rotating them regularly or atleat once or twice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
bonk1313 said:
If you read through the long thread, you will find there are some members that have not even gotten that many miles on a pair of forteras after rotating them regularly or atleat once or twice.
40K or so not terrible really unless you're riding Michelin, Continnetal etc. Goodyear never great for tread life from my experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,048 Posts
I was one who rotated regularly and had to get a new set at 30,000 miles. I totally forgot to have them done since the new ones were put on. It has been 25,000+ miles and I took it in to Discount Tire to have it done. He told me I had only used about 20% of the tires and I should not rotate them because they were wearing evenly and I had the "better" tires on the back. I may never rotate again (until I switch brands!)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
I have almost 56K on my original tires and they are still in decent shape. But I've also rotated them regularly.

It's probably one of those things that's very dependent upon individual driver, climate, terrain, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,233 Posts
Web Raven said:
I have almost 56K on my original tires and they are still in decent shape. But I've also rotated them regularly.

It's probably one of those things that's very dependent upon individual driver, climate, terrain, etc.
56K impressive for those shoes. I hope to get there myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I read the long sticky on tires and unless I`m missing something, other than snow tire replacements I didn`t pickup much information about other stock replacement brands other than the forteras. I would be open to a different size that would fit the stock 18" wheels. Michelins would be . I`m looking for smooth, quiet, and long lasting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
There are two sticky threads, one for 17" and one for 18". The one for 17" started out as a winter wheel/tire thread but I found some alternative info in there if someone wanted to follow up on it by using 17" wheels. Turns out a 255/70-17 tire is a perfect fit for the 18" Acadia tire. If you read through the 18" thread, you'll see the info about the 275/60-18 tires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts
I had that happen once and the shop swapped the tires right to left and it went away. Might be worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I have 59,350 miles on the Goodyears and they have never been balanced or rotated. Roll on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I read the sticky about replacing stock 18" tires with the 245/70-17`s and went to tire rack where there were 4 pages of tires in that size. Has anyone out there had any experience in replacing 18"s with this size 17"s ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Maybe it's heatstroke induced delirium on my part from moving my broadband antenna in 100 degree heat, but did you read the 18" tire thread?

Also, did you read all of the 17" one's second post (there are only four posts)? The 245/70-17 is not as good a match to the 18" tire as is the 255/70 and the savings is only about $7/tire at the low price range depending on what you buy.

I doubt anyone has done this yet since the Traverse is so new, and the member asking about it was looking to use the steel Traverse wheels as snow/winter wheels. Most members here buying aftermarket wheels are buying 20 and 22 inch wheels.

I'm going to go sit in our Acadia for a while and turn on the AC. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
Blue_2009_SLT2 said:
Maybe it's heatstroke induced delirium on my part from moving my broadband antenna in 100 degree heat, but did you read the 18" tire thread?

Also, did you read all of the 17" one's second post (there are only four posts)? The 245/70-17 is not as good a match to the 18" tire as is the 255/70 and the savings is only about $7/tire at the low price range depending on what you buy.

I doubt anyone has done this yet since the Traverse is so new, and the member asking about it was looking to use the steel Traverse wheels as snow/winter wheels. Most members here buying aftermarket wheels are buying 20 and 22 inch wheels.

I'm going to go sit in our Acadia for a while and turn on the AC. :)
:eek:fftopic:

I thought you had the antenna thing worked out?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
I did, but as sometimes happens around here I got a larger one for more power! Speeds up & down are way higher! The existing pole (about a 12' high roof mount) wouldn't hold it to my satisfaction, so I had it on 24' of ground to roof mast... signal was worse. :angryfire: I ended up putting it back where it was with a pole that goes into the ground. Worst part was driving the 5/8 diameter grounding rod into the ground.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread... :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,870 Posts
1.21 gigawatts :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,265 Posts
Go, GO Gadget Antrenna!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, sorry blue I reread the 17" sticky you wrote and it did have all the information required. One last stupid question and I`ll be out of your hair. Brace yourself!!!!!!!!! So the 255/70/17`s will fit on the acadia stock 18" rim with no problem? Wait, let me duck!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
Maddog2112 said:
Hey, sorry blue I reread the 17" sticky you wrote and it did have all the information required.
Thank you- that is why I wrote it. It means a lot to me when members do this and don't skip to the end where I have prepared a Short Attention Span Summary. :)

One last stupid question and I`ll be out of your hair. Brace yourself!!!!!!!!! So the 255/70/17`s will fit on the Acadia stock 18" rim with no problem? Wait, let me duck!!!!

:uzi:

Yes, but this step must first be taken:


17" tires will not fit on an 18" wheel.

To sum up the scenarios with links for easier accessibility (Short Attention Span Summary :)):
Option 1: Replace worn out 18" Goodyear Forteras with same size (255/65-18) and brand tires. Will cost about $720 at Tire Rack shipped for the tires depending on freight cost.
Option 2: Replace worn out 18" Goodyear Forteras with same size different brand (Hankook) tires as noted in this post. Will cost about $590-610 at Online Tires (Online Tires link in post) for the tires shipped depending on freight cost.
Option 3: Replace worn out 18" Goodyear Forteras with 275/60-18 tires as summarized/linked in this post. Cost for Generals at Tire Rack is about $660 with shipping, again freight costs will affect total depending on how far they have to go.
Option 4: Replace worn out 18" Goodyear Forteras with 17" aftermarket wheels and 255/70-17 tires as listed in this post, also adding new tire pressure sensors. Cost for aftermarket wheels, sensors, and General AmeriTrac TR tires at Tire Rack is about $1,285 depending on freight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I am not a big 'rotater' either...and i guess i am paying the price. At 23K miles on my 2009 Acadia, I'm heading for two new Goodyears in the morning...the front ones are showing that little wear marker. Was going to bring the back to the front and put the two new ones on the back. Should I be looking for a different tire? Tire Kingdom says there aren't many compatible tires for this car.
 
1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Top