GMC Acadia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the care would be for the Acadia with applied paint sealant from the dealer??
My salesman said definitely not to hand wax.......
What can/should I be using??

·
Registered
659 Posts
The sealant is nothing more than a conventional synthetic car wax and despite their implication that it is something special, there is no reason to deal with it any differently than any of the commercially available synthetic car waxes that make up the majority of the market. Like any other wax, when it does not bead up as well as it used to, go ahead and apply whatever wax you prefer or have your detailer use their preference.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You can put a wax on top of that sealant as long as it's not a CLEANER WAX. A cleaner wax will remove the sealant and then apply a wax coat. If you used a Carnauba paste wax you can put it on to make the seal last even longer and to increase the shine.

·
Registered
275 Posts
pixiestix said:
Just wondering what the care would be for the Acadia with applied paint sealant from the dealer??
My salesman said definitely not to hand wax.......
What can/should I be using??
Please don't tell me you got the ScotchGuard seat protection and undercoating too. :eek:hno:

"dealer applied paint sealant" is a fancy and expensive term for "we waxed it for you". Feel free to coast through winter with touchless car washes, but get that stuff stripped and a good polish and couple coats of quality wax put on for the summer.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It is not advisable to apply any treatment for 30 days after build date as takes that long for paint to fully cure. You can have the dealer put a sealant treatment on it if you don't care to do yourself. A car dealer will charge you a pretty price vs taking to a detail shop to have a wax/sealant applied. If you are not into waxing your car yourself, like many, go to a professional detail shop.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
My opinion is that the dealer applied a good synthetic wax. They are right, you should not hand wax on top of that as you most likely will remove or ruin it. In my opinion, what they did not tell you is that it will wear out. After about 6 months - 1 year you will be ready for another wax/seal, and at that time, you start from scratch again anyway.

So to answer your question, just wash it with water, or a good quality mild car soap as harsh soaps will strip the sealer right off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts